1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Law Schools - Where and Why?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by El Argentino, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

however, not getting in = no practice.

2. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

It's all about the money. If you can do it without mortgaging your future, I bid you good luck.

3. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Time for a little update.

Am I crazy for thinking about going to George Washington with little to no scholarship? Holy balls cost of living is expensive. Total estimated cost of attendance is somewhere around $220k.

But, of the schools I've gotten into, they might have the best employment numbers (2009):
    1.6% unemployed, 11.2% part time.

Compared to say, UC Hastings:
    11.3% unemployed, 18.1% part time.

I also have about a 50% tuition scholarship to WUSTL, so it'll end up being the cheapest option. Still, it's only cheaper by a total of about 30k compared to BU, UCI, UCH, UW.

Does it come down to merely geographic preference at this point? Fuck I'm lost. I've been staring at employment numbers all day.

4. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

congrats on getting into some great schools. here are my thoughts, for whatever they're worth.

a) quarter mil on law school is a ridiculous amount of money
    b) if you rely on the scholarship, plan a budget scenario under which you lose the scholarship after your 1L year. scholarship programs are just set up that way--maybe 1/2 of incoming students get scholarships but only the top 1/3 or 1/4 keep them.
    c) a good buddy of mine graduated from wustl law in '11 and (although he hates being a lawyer) is doing pretty well for himself...in missouri.
    d) employment numbers are total b.s.; i wouldn't use them to make a decision. talk to a decent sample of current 3L's and recent graduates and find out what the situation really looks like.

5. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I got some money from GW, but I could not accept the debt. I just couldn't, even though GW is a great place to be for patent. I also pretty much assumed that the employment numbers are massively skewed, but that the relative employment comparisons one could make would likely be correct.

I am surprised, though, if GW accepted you and WUSTL gave you 50% that you also didn't get some pretty good offers from others. In my US News (2009, still on my desk since then, talk about a blast from the past to see my annotations), WUSTL is 19. I would suggest that if you got an offer from a school that you like, but that wasn't quite enough, that you simply write them and ask for more. Worked for me -- I disclosed what I had been offered from other schools to my target school and they upped. Some schools even upped when I wrote in my regrets, which was pretty cool.

How many schools did you apply to?

~ H

edit: nerdykarim has a good point about scholarship loss. Look at every offer to see what you need to pull to keep the scholarship -- some of the ones I was given were really restrictive.

edit2: I should also have offered my congrats! I remember getting my LSAT score, and later, my first accepatance. But, 3 years later, and really struggling to continue to apply the massive effort required amidst the strife of life's obstacles is just....rough.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  6. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Thanks for the congrats guys. I applied to a ton of schools (fee waivers).

I've taken into account the chance of losing a scholarship. Luckily, the schools that have offered them have very, very lax stipulations (good standing) or simply none at all.

The employment numbers are from lawschooltransparency, a pretty reputable source. I'm sure schools game as much as they can, but the FT, unemployed, etc. numbers are tough to skew. I keep in mind "unknowns" and look up other ways they might cheat. IE BU offers part-time fellows to their unemployed grads, so I keep a careful eye on PT numbers as well as unemployed. Don't take much stock in the 25th/median salary ranges.

Looking through WUSTL's numbers again, they actually beat GW in terms of PT/FT employment. I don't care much for Big Law so that's not much of a factor. That said, I'm not very interested in living in the mid west. It's only on my list because of the big scholarship of ~$20k/year. I've tried to leverage that against other schools. They aren't biting because of my low GPA. I'm prepared to place multiple deposits if necessary to increase my offers elsewhere but that looks like a money sink. Going to try to limit it to 2-3 schools at most.

I'm partial to the Bay Area/ West Coast.
    In order of COA it's something like this:

WUSTL
    UCH
    UCI
    UW
    BU

GW all by itself.

Lastly, I'm on the UCLA wait list. If I can get in there, that might trump everything else. Deposits due soon, not all scholarship offers are in. This is frustrating.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

skitlets, do you mind sharing your gpa and lsat score? a couple of years ago I was accepted into UCLA but not GW.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  8. tinsel

tinsel Well-Known Member

How much do you guys know about how law school/ getting into a law firm in the UK works? I have to say I'm always astonished at the lengths you guys stateside have to go through...

9. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

if any of you end up at GW hit me up when you get to dc :slayer:

10. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Are you back in DC already? I may visit if they offer some scholarship money.

11. facebookdigg123

facebookdigg123 Senior member

new law rankings came out today.

12. randomkoreandude

13. Vaio

Vaio Senior member

14. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Very interesting to see that - thanks for posting the link.

15. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Thanks for the update. Holy cow, UW went from 30 to 20! Rankings obviously aren't as important as placement but that's a big jump. I'm about ready to cross GW off the list barring some unforeseen scholarship offer.

Hastings versus UW, UCI, or BU for all approximately the same cost? I wish Hastings weren't so highly regarded in Bay Area while having terrible employment numbers at the same time.

16. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

lol... how does that happen?
    but if you want to stay in the bay area, you don't have too many choices, do you? at least if you want to stay within first tier schools

and yes, i noticed some schools made HUGE jumps (and drops) in the most recent law school rankings
    kinda wild

17. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Right? I feel like it's both a good and terrible choice.

18. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I haven't looked at the rankings in a long time, but IIRC the difference between a lot of schools is just one or two points on US News' scale. So increasing two or three points can lead to a fairly large jump in the rankings, especially if a couple of other schools take a one or two-point loss.

19. randomkoreandude

A lot of "movement" in the T14 which is typically really stable

20. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

When you consider the manipulation of self-reported statistics and the fact that some deans arrange quid pro quo peer rank boosting with their buddies, the USNWR rankings make the BCS look objective.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012