1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Law Schools - Where and Why?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by El Argentino, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

Of course not. But people get too hung up on getting a degree that leads directly to a given career. And those degrees are relatively few and many of them are in hard sciences/engineering. And those fields just aren't interesting to a lot of people.

With that said, you're absolutely right that a student who graduates with a social science/humanities degree will need to put in a lot more legwork to secure employment than someone with a hard science degree.

2. facebookdigg123

facebookdigg123 Senior member

there are actually quite a few lawyers who gave up their jobs and go to med school. not an easy road either, but the job security is nice

3. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

Myabe this has been said, but you can't trust any school's "employment numbers." This is a well-known and documented problem with the ABA's regulation on employment reporting. Most schools report 90% employment within 9 months, but the reality is that the school will have 30% employed in bar-passage-required jobs. Buyer beware.

Also, clerk placement doesn't mean much unless you are truly an amazing student and person.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

hey random... we have a similar story... I did much the same and a CWRU grad as well... I killed the LSAT last year and now I'm just waiting on acceptances. (btw... Case's business and law have come a long way.... Weatherhead ranked #34 and CWRU law #55)

5. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

whoa nice to see another cwru grad ...

yeah weatherhead has always been pretty good. mr pbl put a lot into the school and surprised its not ranked higher tbh. law has also come a long way but wouldnt go even with a full ride and they paid me lol.

im glad i ended up where i did and i owe cwru a lil credit but i HATED that school

6. Kid Nickels

jeez it's even more funny to hear how similar perspectives we have... agree with all you said above! I actually went there for undergrad on a full-ride, also hated (an continue to loathe) Cleveland, only kept my sanity by doing a junior year abroad in Australia, and also would not go back there even with another full-ride and a six figure stipend! haha.... (seven maybe :lol:)

7. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

CWRU Law gave me a full ride and a stipend, and I turned them down, though I love Cleveland.

8. Kid Nickels

:puzzled: r u serious? you must be f'g w/ me!

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

LB, you are a savvy fellow, no doubt, but its annoying that you try to make a point at every mother fucking turn. hustle indeed :lol:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  10. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

No doubt. I've been looking up numbers reported by firms rather than schools.

19 students out of a class of about 80 for the graduating 2012 class landed clerkships from UCI. They've gotta be doing something right.

11. Kid Nickels

with UCI's provisional accreditation, what will this mean for graduates in the coming years before they are fully accredited? numbers and such look good so far, but it is a bit of a risk no?

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I am always serious.

Cleveland has exactly the things I need: Nearby water (I have a boat), incredible culinary scene (Lola, the West Side Market, and the best cocktail bar on the plant), great culture and arts involvement by the populace (Cleveland Orchestra, the CMA, Parade the Circle, the INgenuity festival), a neighborhood I love (Ohio City -- I know what street I'd want to live on), and Ohio's typical incredible interior spaces (even though they are not the greatest draw anymore, like the incredible Arcade), great men's stores (Cuffs in Chagrin Falls). I can name a LOT of other things I love about Cleveland, too, but am short on time.

There's only one problem: the winter can really suck. That, and family stuff keeps me from residing there.

~ H

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Loved all of those and can't wait to get back. Is Light Bistro still there?

14. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

Definitely a risk. Not having an alumni network is definitely scary but I feel the school understands this and is trying their best to help current students out. First graduating class is this year so I'll keep an eye on how many have guaranteed jobs before the summer. COL is pretty low in Irvine but could be non-existent if I stay around San Francisco and live with my parents.

15. Kid Nickels

COL is low in Irvine? I'm not from Cali so I don't know but I've read that OC in general is pretty $$$. agree/disagree, comments?

16. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

The clerkship numbers mean that Chemerinsky and his faculty are hitting up every judge they know to try to place their first class of students in clerkships. That same kind of campaign will not work every year and runs on a totally different kind of network than getting people into private sector jobs. Also, the people who land clerkships are likely most of the same ones whose resumes will be most attractive to biglaw--query where the bottom of the class is going to land.

That high of a clerkship offer rate is really impressive but doesn't guarantee that the second or later classes will do as well. Nor does it mean everyone is going to get to get cream of the crop permanent employment offers.

17. Kid Nickels

there was an interesting little piece on NPR "All Things Considered" today... talking about various students who were "deceived" by the school's employment statistics. The funny part was when they mentioned that she graduated from New York Law! well... I'll be damned... you got a 154 on the LSAT, went to NY Law and can't find a job... go figure! :lol:

18. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I suspected as much. Conjecture or are you studying at UCI? I figured in the first year or two, faculty will be using all of their connections to land jobs for students. I'm hoping it carries over into their 4th class.

About Irvine's COL, I compared that to other large metro areas, like Bay Area/ DC. I think it's cheaper than San Diego as well, which is my UG.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  19. Kid Nickels

cheaper than SD...? UCSD or USD? hmmm... how does it compare to LA in general... like Westwood (UCLA) or USC area?

20. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

CoL around UCSD (La Jolla) is very expensive; same with Westwood. USC is at the northern fringe of South Central... which is probably the roughest hood in all of LAC; l imagine living there would not be very expensive, but on the other hand I'm pretty sure professional/graduate students would much prefer to live elsewhere and commute.