Law Firm Wardrobe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LawSchoolGuy, Nov 29, 2011.

1. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

No one on Wall Street has been within a hundred miles of Wall Street, either.

2. erk

erk Senior member

Is this some sort of logic puzzle? Oh, I get it, wall street is only ~100 feet wide, therefore you can't be more than 50 feet within it?

3. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

haha,
    My office was at 14 Wall Street for 6 years.

We just moved to space at the world financial center.

Care to try again?

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

One place you might want to check out is Suit Supply. I don't have any of their suits, but I've been in a store and perused their site, for the money I think you get a lot of quality and they have some attractive styles.

5. Adarael

Adarael Well-Known Member

You know, the more of Aqualung's posts I read, the more I feel like he's parodying GBR. The specifics of what he harps on, the constant refrains of "throw the (item in question) out and purchase something new", and his obsession with the "lower classes". I suspect if we put them in the same thread, we might see the two of them reach a kind of critical mass. Where the thread once stood there would be a smoking crater, filled with condescension and upturned noses.

6. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

Your goal should not be to be "sharply dressed," but to be appropriately dressed. Which, in this context, means to wear suits and shoes similar to those worn by most of the associates at the firm. Assuming that means Brooks Bros. and Allen Edmonds, then that's what you ought to be wearing. If that's too conservative for you, you've chosen the wrong place to work (and perhaps the wrong profession).

Once you make partner, you can set fashion trends at your firm. But until then you should be wearing the standard firm "uniform."

Believe me, being remembered as "that sharply dressed summer intern" is NOT what you want.

So, indulge my curiosity - what did you wear when you interviewed for this position?
    --
    Michael

7. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

8. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Ha, no. Most of the finance industry works in Midtown, and by subway it feels like 100 miles to Wall Street.

9. LawSchoolGuy

LawSchoolGuy Member

I wore a custom made blue suit to the first one, and a BB Madison suit with a deep purple and blue tie to the second one, so I don't think I was extremely conservative either time. The firm happens to be less casual, more modern, and its generally business casual although I'll need to wear suits occasionally.

Here is my question - assuming your generally assumptions are correct, do you think the Theory Xylo suit is insufficiently conservative?

Here it is: http://www.theory.com/mens-pants-sportcoats-xylonp-tailor/90081124,default,pd.html

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

while this is true, there are still some big firms downtown.

Wall street, the location, is not what it once was with respect to firms, but it ain't dead yet.

11. LawSchoolGuy

LawSchoolGuy Member

12. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

13. LawSchoolGuy

LawSchoolGuy Member

I'm looking at navy and charcoal. I prefer the cut here to those I see on Suit Supply's website, but I do question the quality for the price ($500 for jacket + $200 for pants).

14. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Agree. Let me reinforce the notion that black suits are a poor choice. You can have any color you want as long as it's grey or navy.