• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Law Firm Wardrobe

LawSchoolGuy

Reaction score
I'm going to work at a big law firm in NYC next summer, and I'm pretty big into clothes. I want to be sharply dressed, but not tooo flashy. Anyway, I'm going to need a few suits and a good pair of shoes. I prefer a more modern look. I was thinking of getting one of two Theory Xylo suits. Any other suggestions for high quality modern suits under $1000? How about for a good pair of black leather lace-ups?

Aqualung

Reaction score
I'm going to work at a big law firm in NYC next summer, and I'm pretty big into clothes. I want to be sharply dressed, but not tooo flashy. Anyway, I'm going to need a few suits and a good pair of shoes. I prefer a more modern look. I was thinking of getting one of two Theory Xylo suits. Any other suggestions for high quality modern suits under $1000? How about for a good pair of black leather lace-ups?

NYC in Summer? Get a few tropical weight suits at BB for $500-600 or even better buy the separates. And get some good slip on shoes like the AE Westchester model. Bloomberg has worn this at work for years. Gucci slipons are good too.
Ditch the dopey looking wingtips and captoes because no one outside of some office in Podunk would wear them today.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please use the search function...
there is a conservative business dress (Conservative Business Dress) thread... you might want to start there...
Welcome to SF

LawSchoolGuy

Reaction score
BB and AE are a bit too conservative for me, I'm in my early 20's and looking for a more modern look suit and shoe, but not too modern.

sns23

Reaction score
BB Fitzgerald cut. I picked up two MTM for 1300. Hate to break it to you, but the legal profession is one of, if not the most conservative profession.

Last edited:

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are considering Theory, try on J.Crew ludlow suits and see if that fits your needs. I also agree that you can find BB that will look more modern than what they show in their ads.

LawSchoolGuy

Reaction score
I have a BB Madison cut suit, and its definitely good quality and fits me fairly well, but its just doesn't have the right details (lapels a bit too wide, jacket a bit too long, pleated pants). So perhaps the Fitzgerald could work.

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BB Fitzgerald cut. I picked up two MTM for 1300. Hate to break it to you, but the legal profession is one of, if not the most conservative profession.

+1 get over it. Or quit law and go somewhere else.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

NYC in Summer? Get a few tropical weight suits at BB for $500-600 or even better buy the separates. And get some good slip on shoes like the AE Westchester model. Bloomberg has worn this at work for years. Gucci slipons are good too.
Ditch the dopey looking wingtips and captoes because no one outside of some office in Podunk would wear them today.

You've done lost it

Aqualung

Reaction score
BB and AE are a bit too conservative for me, I'm in my early 20's and looking for a more modern look suit and shoe, but not too modern.

A suit is just a uniform and you're going there to work and fit in not for a fashion show. And I said an AE modern looking slip on.

LawSchoolGuy

Reaction score
+1 get over it. Or quit law and go somewhere else.

Not helpful. The place I'm going to work is one of the less conservative firms. Looking for opinions on the Theory suit, alternative suits, and a good pair of shoes, not life advice.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
I feel like this thread comes up every month or so. You must not be that "into clothes" if you make blanket statements about a brand with as wide a range of offerings as BB being too conservative. As one poster mentioned, they have trimmer cut suits in the Fitzgerald and Milano models that are about as edgy as you'll want to go for a summer clerkship at a law firm. BB and AE are good places to start if you want quality products at a reasonable price. You're busy racking up six figure student loan debt right now, so the last thing you need to do is spend thousands of dollars on poorly-made, fashion-foward suits that you'll discard as soon as you graduate.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

You've never been within a 100 miles of Wall St and everything you think you know you got from some dumb TV show.

I live and work in Podunk (but I have been within 100 miles of Wall st), so I'm no expert on law firm dress in NYC. If New Yorkers truly all do eschew cap toes and wingtips in favor of Gucci loafers, New Yorkers are much more poorly dressed than the tv would have me believe. I do, however, agree with your recommendation of BB and AE.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads