• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Law firm interviews

american-laywer

Reaction score
Hi:

I'll be wearing a solid, charcoal suit and A.E. Park Aves. I need to stay conservative, but I want to look immaculate and elegant:

I was thinking a white medium-spread collar Brooks with this tie:

http://www.drakes-london.com/catalo...6/s/shorter-length-8cm-silk-tie/category/207/

I have a medium contrast complexion w/ slight red undertones medium-to-dark brown hair. I have blue/green eyes. Will dark charcoal/white/wine work best for me? I know a solid tie is slightly more formal, should I go for it? If so, what's the most exquisite, solid maroon tie for a short man (i.e., 5'7")?

Also, will suspenders improve the drape/sillohete of flat-front pants?

gooter

Reaction score
was just messing with you. Also, I really like that tie!

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't overthink this; you'll be fine with what you suggest. Ditch the suspenders idea though; too much for interview.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
outfit is fine as you outlined it, no suspenders though

american-laywer

Reaction score
Susupenders will be covered by my jacket? No?

Because of the shape of my gut, my pants need constant adjusting. Suspenders will keep me from messing with them. Also, they will help my pants drape, no?

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Susupenders will be covered by my jacket? No?

Because of the shape of my gut, my pants need constant adjusting. Suspenders will keep me from messing with them. Also, they will help my pants drape, no?

forget your pants drape If they catch a hint of suspender, they will think you are weird.

If you are good in the interview otherwise, it probably won't matter, but suspenders are esoteric enough these days that I wouldn't wear them.

johnnyletrois

Reaction score
Bumping this. Did a handful of screeners last week in my only suit and have one callback so far. Will I be OK wearing the same suit with a different shirt/tie combo for the callbacks, or should I go buy another suit.

I know I'll need another suit eventually, but I'd rather wait for the next Brooks Brothers sale. I've tried SuitSupply, but the sleeves are too damn short.

jbernard

Reaction score
Bumping this. Did a handful of screeners last week in my only suit and have one callback so far. Will I be OK wearing the same suit with a different shirt/tie combo for the callbacks, or should I go buy another suit.
I know I'll need another suit eventually, but I'd rather wait for the next Brooks Brothers sale. I've tried SuitSupply, but the sleeves are too damn short.

Same suit is fine as long as it's a plain suit. But don't wear even similar tie/shirt combo.

Depending on your job you may want to wait and get something that is better than a Brooks Brother suit. If you are at a Law Firm too. You will want to stand out don't settle for an OTR suit if you can afford it.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why would you want to stand out? BB is perfectly fine. If you want to look at more expensive suits, certainly take a look and see if you like it and if it's worth the extra expense to you, but I don't see why you should want to stand out with your clothes any more than a well-fitting BB suit would allow you to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads