• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Lauren" by Ralph Lauren trim fit suits?

dc1976

Reaction score
I went to Century 21 in NYC a few weeks ago and came across a "Lauren" by Ralph Lauren suit marked "trim fit." I know the "Lauren" line is one of RL's very bottom tier lines, but it was an absolute steal at $199 so I tried it on and it fit wonderfully, particularly in the shoulders, underarms and torso, where I have real difficulty. The few alterations it will need will still make it a great deal, so I grabbed it.

However, I've never seen a "Lauren" suit in "trim fit" anywhere else, and I haven't even come across anything online. Does anyone have any idea where I might find more of these? I'd rather have a low-level RL suit that fits so beautifully than a higher level one that's ill-fitting.

Thanks!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dc1976
I know the "Lauren" line is one of RL's very bottom tier lines
It's not even that. The line is not even owned by Ralph Lauren, and has no relationship whatsoever to other RL lines. It is owned by a completely separate company which has a license to use the name. I can't comment on whether $199 is a good price or not, but if you think you're getting something 'by Ralph Lauren' well...you're not. See this thread for more info.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 1 suit that is green label (Lauren, by Ralph Lauren). It is my cotton khaki summer suit and I must say that it is a very good quality for the price. I bought it from STP new and considering all of my other suits (less one, Samuelsohn for Paul Stuart) it stacks up very nicely.

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fused "Lauren" suit compares to a Sammie?? Damn...Sammie must have fallen off...

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
200 bucks for a Lauren suit is too much if you ask me... But heck, if it fits you well, I guess that says something. They usually fit like bags on me with low armholes and ****** fabric. Then again, I haven't tried one on in years.

I think Bris is saying his Sammie is better... at least I hope so.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It goes on gilt for under 150 and all the suits I've seen haven't been very good quality. Go to Nordstrom Rack or Off saks fifth and get a nice USA/italian made one for $400 or so.

dc1976

Reaction score
Thanks for denigrating my new suit so thoroughly and yet not answering the question in any remote way, shape, nor form.

Yika

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevent
It goes on gilt for under 150 and all the suits I've seen haven't been very good quality. Go to Nordstrom Rack or Off saks fifth and get a nice USA/italian made one for $400 or so.
teacha.gif
teacha.gif
7. Lauren by Ralph Lauren (LRL, sometimes known as green label) Ralph Lauren lost control of the ownership of this brand name to the Jones New York Apparel Group in a court battle. Contains clothing of almost-invariably inferior quality manufactured specifically for discount outlets and lower-end departmental stores. Do not confuse LRL with a 'real' Ralph Lauren product! Has a 'silver label' line with a slimmer cut, but the same poor quality - yum!
Sanguis already pointed out that its not a low-level RL suit.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I was trying to say is the Lauren line isn't as horrible as everyone makes them out to be. I think most people who call the line junk don't have any first-hand experience and are just regurgitating what they've read.

I'm going to post pics of the cotton suit I'm selling later and then let you decide. FWIW I've also owned several of their 100% wool suits and they were a great value at the price point at which they were bought.

mic

Reaction score
Thanks for denigrating my new suit so thoroughly and yet not answering the question in any remote way, shape, nor form.

That does seem to happen at times.
confused.gif

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
What I was trying to say is the Lauren line isn't as horrible as everyone makes them out to be. I think most people who call the line junk don't have any first-hand experience and are just regurgitating what they've read.

I'm going to post pics of the cotton suit I'm selling later and then let you decide. FWIW I've also owned several of their 100% wool suits and they were a great value at the price point at which they were bought.

I have had first hand experience and had 2 before I knew any better. I'd say they're about the same level as Jos. A. Bank, and you can get a suit there for less. They are also really oversized and have linebacker shoulders. It's ridiculous how large the shoulders are.
I don't know much about the "trim fit" suits. Are those the ones with the silver label? I know some of those at least are made in China, as opposed to Canada like the green label. I did see one suit that was cut very much like a Polo I suit, with soft shoulders and forward pleated trousers, except the button stance was too high.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What vintage were those that you've owned? I have noticed that the overall quality/cut/fabrics have had wild swings over the years.

Montauk

Reaction score

Don't sweat it, and don't stop liking your new suit. Who cares whether or not "Ralph" personally designed your suit? He doesn't do Purple Label either. Ultimately, every man should be his own style arbiter; it sounds like this is what you're doing, which is more than I can say for a lot of folk around here.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
What vintage were those that you've owned? I have noticed that the overall quality/cut/fabrics have had wild swings over the years.

Mine are from around 2003

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they have come a ways since then.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads