• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laundering vs. Dry Cleaning Work Shirts?

billiebob

Reaction score
Have any of you had a shirt collar discolored by Spray and Wash?

I use spray and wash stick on the collars and cuffs and often don't get to washing the shirt for a week. The dirty collars come out clean without scrubbing.

I do only use it on white or light shirts though.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
Have any of you had a shirt collar discolored by Spray and Wash?

I have not had that happen so far. I spray it on while sorting the clothing and they are in the wash about 20-30 minutes later.

Toad

Reaction score
I've actually been looking for a good solution. I started out washing/ironing my shirts myself, but it took up too much time. I tried switching from ironing to steaming, but steaming doesn't get the wrinkles out well enough. I've switched back to ironing, but I'm actually considering having them dry cleaned.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing like dropping off a batch of dirty shirts & picking them up the next day fresh, clean, pressed & on a hanger. I take 10 shirts at a time so $20 every 2 weeks aint bad.

I know the ladies in the cleaners brush my collars & cuffs, because the tags on the necks are frayed, but the collars themselves come back looking like new. I can never get them that clean myself.

Another thing is, it seems when I have the cleaners do my shirts, the sleeves come back the same length as when I bought the shirt. When I do it, they get shorter
frown.gif

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished ironing two shirts I washed myself because one had a stain that I wanted to treat right away. Took me 45 minutes. One was poplin, and that was a b!tch to iron. The sleeves have a number of creases, and I got too lazy to redo in order to get those creases out. I really prefer the cleaners and they end up looking much better.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second dress shirts this week missing buttons on the sleeve vent. One of them was ripped out so badly it left a hole. The other one had these annoyingly thick buttons that would be difficult to replace given their color.

WTF is all I have to say about that.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I find even good cleaners won't do a dress shirt right unless they do it by hand and even then it is a dicey proposition. I launder and press my own shirts. It's a bit of a pain but I control the quality and save some money if not time. I use Tide in an HE Neptune washer, air dry and press when slightly damp. I have mostly lightweight fabrics due to the Atlanta heat so pressing is fairly easy.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm exclusive to Jos A Banks travler shirts, since they wash extreemly well. Straight out of the dryer, without a wrinkle to be found. I have a few shirts from them that are going on 3 years now and they still look as good as they did the day a bought them. I have never once had to dry clean them or iron them, except between washings. There the only non iron shirt i've found that delivers it's promise, which is why I find it odd that so many on here have such a promblem with them.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bring work shirts to the cleaners with office pants, and they get cleaned together.

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold water + gentle cycle + Tide total care + air dry = long lasting shirts with excellent color retention.

There's just too much harsh and dangerous chemicals involved with dry cleaning.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads