Latest trend in men's suits

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Macan, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Macan

Macan Member

I was watching Oscar's award ceremony the other day, and found out a quite a trend in wearing black with black. Black tux with black shirt and black tie, it somehow caught my attention and actors like Christian Bale and Russel Brands looked fabulous in this combination.

What do you think about it?
    [​IMG]

Any other interesting and creative suit styles?

2. suited

suited Senior member

3. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Senior member

I was watching Oscar's award ceremony the other day, and found out a quite a trend in wearing black with black. Black tux with black shirt and black tie, it somehow caught my attention and actors like Christian Bale and Russel Brands looked fabulous in this combination.

[​IMG]

Any other interesting and creative suit styles?

It looks terrible.

4. GBR

GBR Senior member

Dreadful but certainly not a "latest trend": Has been about for ages.

However evening dress and trends in suits are TWO distinct issues not to be confused as here.

5. dasai

dasai Senior member

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Dreadful but certainly not a "latest trend": Has been about for ages.

However evening dress and trends in suits are TWO distinct issues not to be confused as here.

+1

7. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

Modern day Oscar award ceremonies present an excellent opportunity for learning how not to dress.

8. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

[​IMG]

9. Don Carlos

Don Carlos In Time Out

Modern day Oscar award ceremonies present an excellent opportunity for learning how not to dress.

They've actually been getting a lot better in recent years, occasional black-on-black-on-black exception notwithstanding. I've seen more celebs in respectable tux-with-white-shirt-and-black-bowtie combos in the last two or three ceremonies than I've seen in the last 20.

10. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

It looks awful.

11. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

They've actually been getting a lot better in recent years, occasional black-on-black-on-black exception notwithstanding. I've seen more celebs in respectable tux-with-white-shirt-and-black-bowtie combos in the last two or three ceremonies than I've seen in the last 20.

I have noticed this as well. Most guys are in classic black tie. Russell Brand can do what he wants as he is cultivating a certain image (Mickey Rourke falls into this camp as well), but Christian Bale should know better.

12. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I think it looks dumb. I could however see it working if these guys were also stage hands for the ceremony. Nobody wants to be distracted by a flash of white on the catwalk.

13. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Looks horrendous. It's a shame because Christian Bale is such a good looking guy, but he ruined it with that atrocity.

14. Last Year's Man

Last Year's Man Senior member

Agreed, it's nice to see some actors are flying the flag for proper black tie

Colin Firth (spot-on imo)
    [​IMG]
    Justin Timberlake (suprise entry)
    [​IMG]
    george clooney (no suprise)
    [​IMG]
    pierce brosnan is a bit hit and miss on the red carpet ( sometimes goes for those awful black satin ties) but this is nearly a hit - if only the jacket was a couple of inches shorter.
    [​IMG]

15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

^Timberlake would do better if those Lapels couldn't be used as make shift wings for a 747.