• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest Point and Shoot Cameras

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

ah, good point on maps and ****. Did this when we were in France.
this seems ideal, IMO. Maybe go out and buy one of those really fast and high capacity SD cards (or don't go out, just check Amazon).

Good idea. They've become so cheap these days too.

A faster card may not be helpful. S100 is not exactly a speed demon.

Also, because Pio's issue is now solved and I don't have anywhere else to share the awesomeness:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Is a picture of a new camera meta?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

A faster card may not be helpful. S100 is not exactly a speed demon.

my X100 isn't a speed demon either, but the faster card certainly helped. Cuts down on the time between a picture is taken and the camera is ready to take another picture.

note: this could all be in my head.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, because Pio's issue is now solved and I don't have anywhere else to share the awesomeness:

:slayer: Awesome! I'm jealous. B&H doesn't even have that in stock yet, do they? What kind of glass do you have to go with it?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Good idea. They've become so cheap these days too.

The speed shouldn't matter much on a S100 since it can already do burst mode (shoot multiple shots quickly into a cache and wait for the card to catch up). About the only thing it would help with is if you need more than a second (8 shots or so) of burst before it starts to slow down in high speed burst mode. Otherwise probably not noticeable.

But...you could consider something like one of those FlashAir wireless compatible cards. Connect your phone to the wifi network and you can immediately view/share/backup photos. Can also be done with an SD card reader that plugs into your phone, but you can get a 16gb+ wifi sd card for like $20.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

:slayer: Awesome! I'm jealous. B&H doesn't even have that in stock yet, do they? What kind of glass do you have to go with it?

I neglected to pre-order so I stayed up late last night looking for places that were stocking them as of midnight. Turns out the Best Buy near my office had some available to pick-up in store. I got the last one.

I'm going to use my Leica M glass and probably buy the Zeiss Batis 2.0/25mm.

The speed shouldn't matter much on a S100 since it can already do burst mode (shoot multiple shots quickly into a cache and wait for the card to catch up). About the only thing it would help with is if you need more than a second (8 shots or so) of burst before it starts to slow down in high speed burst mode. Otherwise probably not noticeable.

But...you could consider something like one of those FlashAir wireless compatible cards. Connect your phone to the wifi network and you can immediately view/share/backup photos. Can also be done with an SD card reader that plugs into your phone, but you can get a 16gb+ wifi sd card for like $20.

I am still advocating the RX100. Even the earliest version is noticeable upgrades versus the S100. The sensor is much, much bigger in the RX100 (1 inch versus 1/1.7 inch). Also, it has all the manual controls you'd need, should Pio ever want to learn them. My first-gen RX100 has been a trusty sidekick and goes everywhere I won't or can't take my Leica MP.

Also, keep in mind, iPhone photos do not print well.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno...my dad is a still-life advertising photographer, but he recently did an installation at his studio consisting entirely of iPhone photos. They were all blown up bigger than Pio would ever print and I don't think anyone complained.

Sure, you aren't going to want a 18" headshot on fine photo paper printed from an iphone, but for lots of things, it will blow up just fine. Heck, in the train station by the apple store here, they have a series of ads consisting of iphone 6 shots blown up to be several feet tall.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ahhh, the place where your biggest goal is to pick up a product and then race to the checkout without 5-8 Orthodox Jews trying to upsell you on another warranty.

While your stuff swirls around in baskets over your head. Love that place!

Sure, you aren't going to want a 18" headshot on fine photo paper printed from an iphone, but for lots of things, it will blow up just fine. Heck, in the train station by the apple store here, they have a series of ads consisting of iphone 6 shots blown up to be several feet tall.

There are a bunch of billboards in NYC too, but they are almost all landscapes. I guess it depends on what you are shooting, but I wouldn't use it as a primary camera for photographing people.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Piobaire

brah i filmed this review for you:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey @mafoofan, have you gotten any shots with the a7R II yet? Just curious how it works with your Leica and Zeiss lenses. I got several pretty good shots at the Rainbow Room last week with my new Fuji and the 35mm f/1.4. Low light focusing definitely sucks compared to my Canon 6D, but the portability factor was pretty great. Shot everything with manual focus (with focus peaking) so I'm looking at some vintage lenses if I'm gonna end up shooting manual. Anyway I'm taking it and the Canon to Maine next week, so hopefully I'll get some decent pics.

Last edited:

ipractice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can anyone recommend the x100t? every review i read say that its their favorite camera to shoot with because of ergonomics, but in terms of actual performance is not that incredible (compared to say a ricoh 2 or cheaper x100, x100s).

I have a decent amount of experience with a 6d setup, and also s100 p/s. I'm looking for a good inbetween (6d setup too bulky, s100 quality not good enough), which sounds like x100t is the perfect answer. Is it worth the price tag or is an alternative just as good if I won't be able to appreciate the ergonomics?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads