• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest additions (pics)

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
He needs a black I mean oxblood Vass
laugh.gif

He's not selling them now
tounge.gif
Great shoes though, I really like the old english.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Trickers TG mistook for EGs are really nice. Imagine if they started producing more shoes like that. They'd be a serious bargain.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OT, but one thing has always made me curious. I started wondering this again as I looked at an otherwise really nice pair of 1k Testoni wholecuts yesterday. Why would a shoe that has everything else (within reason), not have a channeled sole? The testonis in question were goodyear welted and had EG-quality leather and a really beautiful finish. Surely it's not that expensive an addition and it makes a huge difference in how well a shoe keeps water out... Besides, if a $400 AEs can have them, wtf can't testoni at a pricepoint of 1k? The other really annoying thing about the testonis was the sewn-in label. It creates a bump under your heel that's really not comfortable.

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Surely it's not that expensive an addition and it makes a huge difference in how well a shoe keeps water out...

TBH I don't think closed channel stitching makes any difference to how waterproof a sole is. The stitching will wear through in time anyway but I do agree that aesthetically, a shoe looks more accomplished with a channeled sole.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjl5000
TBH I don't think closed channel stitching makes any difference to how waterproof a sole is. The stitching will wear through in time anyway but I do agree that aesthetically, a shoe looks more accomplished with a channeled sole.

I've noticed a pretty significant difference between the shoes i have with closed channel and the one pair i have without. The one I have without just sucks water up into the shoe.

jjl5000

Reaction score
[
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I've noticed a pretty significant difference between the shoes i have with closed channel and the one pair i have without. The one I have without just sucks water up into the shoe.

OMG. I assume this is not because the sole has worn thin? Do you have any reason to question the quality of sole leather used perhaps?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jjl5000
[

OMG. I assume this is not because the sole has worn thin? Do you have any reason to question the quality of sole leather used perhaps?

The shoes in question are a pair of bruno maglis. They were alright at first, but now they just absorb water in a matter of minutes after it starts raining. The sole isn't really any thinner than it once was, and it's not any thinner than other shoes I have that don't absorb water. Is it possible that there was a waxy coating on the stitching that originally prevented water absorption but has now worn off? I really don't know, but when I get them re-soled, they're gonna be channeled.

jjl5000

Reaction score
I am not too familiar with Bruno Magli, those shoes I have seen have not been goodyear welted but blake stitched. IIRC Blake stitching goes right through the outsole and insole (you can actually see the stitching resting on top of the insole). I once had a pair of John White's constructed in this manner and they were useless in wet weather. I worn them a dozen times and twice my feet got soaked...

jjl5000

Reaction score
My first pair of monks...

TrickersMonk1.jpg

TrickersMonk3.jpg

I also purchased these (size 3!) for my son...

ChurchsMonk.jpg

Finally, EG summer sale (I think everyone who attended the sale came away with a pair
smile.gif
)

EGHythe3.jpg

EGHythe4.jpg

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
...wow! Beautiful shoes. Quite a batch.

I saw a beautiful pair of C&J Handgrade suide mid-rise shoes at Barneys on sale at 50% off for $300. REALLY wanted to buy them... but had to exercise self restraint.

Kirby
www.HangerProject.com
New website and new hangers!

jjl5000

Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Geez, did you win the lottery? Beautiful collection...we have similar taste. Is that C&J wholecut a Weymouth? Next on my list!

LOL... I wish!

The C&J wholecut is the Weymouth. Make sure you check out Plal for the best prices
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads