1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lateness/tardiness policies...

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by dcg, Dec 13, 2010.

1. username79

username79 Senior member

You guys really crack down on people being late by 10-20 minutes in a white collar environment? I understand blue collar but for a desk job?
    +1. I wouldn't consider working for someone this anal retentive and I have never encountered this in my field. I thought this was for interns and tech support. What matters is getting your work done. If someone can get the work done in less time then who cares when they come and go? They are a more efficient and better employee. If someone has enough free time to keep track of when you arrive and leave clearly there are other issues.

2. otc

otc Senior member

Interesting legal question RE: wage and hour law. I wonder if you have a strictly set schedule (say, 9 to 5), do you open yourself to an overtime claim if you ever ask salaried employees to stay past 5:00?

Have you ever had a job? This is not an interesting legal question. This is summed up in one or two words in the terms of your employment (exempt or non-exempt).

If you are non-exempt, you are paid time and a half past 40 hours worked per week (take your weekly salary, divide by your workweek in hours and multiply by 1.5). If you are not paid this, you are entitled to back wages.

If you are exempt, you get your salary no matter how many hours you work.

The interesting legal question is how can so many people be claimed as exempt? The rules are fairly specific about what kind of positions can be declared exempt from overtime pay...but almost all of my friends first jobs after college started out exempt (despite them not clearly fitting any of the categories).

3. RSS

RSS Senior member

Guilt seems to be the policy at work at my office.

Me: [​IMG]

Boss: [​IMG]

Me: [​IMG]

I hope your situation improves. I'm imagine that the "guilt policy" makes work less than enjoyable.

4. tj100

tj100 Senior member

This is summed up in one or two words in the terms of your employment (exempt or non-exempt).

If you are non-exempt, you are paid time and a half past 40 hours worked per week (take your weekly salary, divide by your workweek in hours and multiply by 1.5). If you are not paid this, you are entitled to back wages.

If you are exempt, you get your salary no matter how many hours you work.

The interesting legal question is how can so many people be claimed as exempt? The rules are fairly specific about what kind of positions can be declared exempt from overtime pay...but almost all of my friends first jobs after college started out exempt (despite them not clearly fitting any of the categories).

Right, the question is whether working a strictly defined schedule invalidates your employers declaration that you are "exempt". Just because your employer thinks you should be exempt doesn't mean that the law necessarily agrees.

Looking up the tests, one of the contributing factors under the duties test is "setting hours of work" - so, IMHO, this is an area to tread lightly on or at a minimum to tread with legal guidance.

5. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

I don't know what you do for a living but if you really believe this we certainly are coming from entirely different points of view.

I spend every single day thinking of ways to work LESS and make MORE for doing it. As it stands I put in perhaps 10-15hrs a week managing the businesses I own. I manage owning them in that time. I pay someone else to manage them.

I hire people who think the way I do. Make every hour you work worth more $$$$. That helps both me and them.

I thought the only people who worked more than 40 a week were unattractive middle-aged lesbians bucking for a Supreme Court appointment.

Employee cogs who come in late everyday are simply not working hard enough. I expect serious professionals to put in the hours. Of course, my profession, law, is more prone to pushing people to work longer as well as harder. By the way, I consider myself an employee cog as just about everyone is replaceable.

Happy holidays, merry Christmas and happy new year.

6. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Employee cogs who come in late everyday are simply not working hard enough. I expect serious professionals to put in the hours. Of course, my profession, law, is more prone to pushing people to work longer as well as harder. By the way, I consider myself an employee cog as just about everyone is replaceable.

Happy holidays, merry Christmas and happy new year.

Understood [​IMG] Happy holidays to you!

7. epb

epb Senior member

Many interesting viewpoints have been brought up in this thread. I'm interested to see the responses to this suggestion. For me personally, having my pay lowered would absolutely destroy my morale/motivation.

Why wouldn't it motivate you to correct the issue?

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

[J]ust about everyone is replaceable.
    I'm not. [​IMG]

9. Big T

Big T Senior member

Whatever you do for a policy, it has to be equally enforced on all. I have had a similar problem and was actually receiving complaints from the violator's co-workers. I did not change the policy, but instead I talked to the violator and gave her a written warning (since this had happened before and she was making a habit of coming in late and leaving early). I also talked to all others, informing them that I must enforce the policy equally to them.

10. Robert Evans

Robert Evans Member

If employees are late and still do a bad job - fire them. If the employees do an amazing job for you, but are frequently late, leave them the fuck alone and be grateful that you have these people working for you, because they could easily leave your ass and do that amazing job for your competitor.

11. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

12. epb

epb Senior member

If employees are late and still do a bad job - fire them. If the employees do an amazing job for you, but are frequently late, leave them the fuck alone and be grateful that you have these people working for you, because they could easily leave your ass and do that amazing job for your competitor.

You can't be late all the time and do a good job - it's a contradiction in terms.

13. Robert Evans

Robert Evans Member

You can't be late all the time and do a good job - it's a contradiction in terms.

Not all jobs require you to be answering the phone the second it's 9:00 AM. In my experience, people don't even really start working until 9:30 or so, because everyone makes their morning coffee/eats breakfast at their desk and they shoot the shit with other employees and maybe check their email and the boss doesn't come into the office until 10:30. Sp if your star employee comes in at 9:30 or so and is making you mad money, just accept that he comes in at 9:30.

14. epb

epb Senior member

...if your star employee comes in at 9:30 or so and is making you mad money, just accept that he comes in at 9:30.

If Mr. Star Moneymoaker's start time is changed to 9:30, you really think he's going to never be late again? You really think he plops down and gets to work, instead of costing you more lost time as he disrupts everyone else that just settled following the same routine? Do you also think the Brooklyn Bridge is for sale?

A star employee isn't someone that shines in one area and fails in others. Punctuality is an area of competence. I can't understand the persistent attitude in this thread that tardy people are otherwise great workers. If they can't get something this simple right - figuring out what time to leave home to arrive at work at 9 - what's the reasoning for assuming they're great in other areas, which pretty much have to be more complex unless there's an office job called "breathing"?

15. cross22

cross22 Senior member

This thread has become very interesting. It seems service workers and their middle managers are on one side while knowledge workers are on the other side. Both sides are right about importance of tardiness in their respective professions.

A star employee isn't someone that shines in one area and fails in others. Punctuality is an area of competence. I can't understand the persistent attitude in this thread that tardy people are otherwise great workers. If they can't get something this simple right - figuring out what time to leave home to arrive at work at 9 - what's the reasoning for assuming they're great in other areas, which pretty much have to be more complex unless there's an office job called "breathing"?
    [​IMG]

16. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

At my office, if anyone is even a minute late...(seriously) they lose 1/3 of their monthly bonus. People here are rarely late.

i WISH i could get away with coming in 10-20 minutes late every so often. no can do though. thats grounds for termination everywhere ive worked since high school.

17. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

That TED video was interesting. I totally agree about the point he made about meetings. Often, they exist to create the appearance of (a manager's) work being done, but a lot of the time they are totally unnecessary, or their scope is too large, and they waste a lot of people's time for nothing. I wouldn't say all meetings are useless, but a big chunk of them are. Thankfully frequent meetings aren't part of the culture at my current job.

The point about frequent distractions is totally true as well. When I was doing a lot of coding, there was nothing worse than someone coming into my office and deciding to talk when i was in the middle of working through an algorithm or debugging a piece of code. It was a total productivity killer because i'd essentially have to start all over again when they left. I got way more work done on weekends and off-hours.

18. Archivist

Archivist Senior member

This thread stinks of fail from all sides.