1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Late Beethoven Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Manton, Nov 4, 2009.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

Or Zurich/Zinman for the HIP style, but without all the fussiness and ancient creaking instruments.

For Karajan, his 1963 set is much, much better than his later efforts.

--Andre

2. SField

SField Senior member

Or Zurich/Zinman for the HIP style, but without all the fussiness and ancient creaking instruments.

For Karajan, his 1963 set is much, much better than his later efforts.

--Andre

O hey yah I'm not saying I'm into an entire orchestra of period instruments and no vibrato like Norrington. I'm just saying I don't like hearing people slide all over the place and taking liberties with his markings.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Manton,

If you have not experienced classical on SACD, go to Costco and drop a paltry $130 on a Sony S570 Bluray player. Late Beethoven on Super Audio is a revelation.

Also, check out this disc:

BEETHOVEN: The ‘Late’ String Quartets (Nos. 12 thru 16) - Tokyo String Quartet - Harmonia mundi multichannel SACD (3 discs) HMU 807481.83

Very nice performances.

4. Artisan Fan

What is the technical characterization of Furtwängler 9th recordings? I see them held in very high esteem, but I can't get over the sound quality.

The SACDs sound better than the CDs but they are expensive imports from Japan.

5. Artisan Fan

These are favorites.

Diabelli Variations, Op. 120
    Missa Solemnis, Op. 123

6. Artisan Fan

His late Sonatas are pinnacles, for me.

My buddy, Bob Silverman recently recorded the Diabellis. He gave us a private concert and lecture before the recording. I think you would have enjoyed it. A difficult work, but he explained it so beautifully. His playing is tremendous.

Try to hear Gunter Wand's Beethoven 9. An amazing recording. He brings out so much of the counterpoint that other famous recordings miss.

I just got the Amadeus Quartets on the 111 Years of DGG (7 Gigs/730 tracks) that iTunes Canada priced mistakenly for $9.99! Corrected to $119.99 later! [​IMG] The leader was a prick, but their playing is outstanding. [​IMG]

Silverman is superb. I have heard him play twice. Also great is his Isomike set of Mozart.

7. A Y

A Y Senior member

O hey yah I'm not saying I'm into an entire orchestra of period instruments and no vibrato like Norrington. I'm just saying I don't like hearing people slide all over the place and taking liberties with his markings.

Yeah, portamenti I tend to associate with early 1900s European conductors like Mengelberg. It's great in Mahler. It'd be weird in Beethoven. Not a fran of Norrington, but I like Gardiner.

If you have not experienced classical on SACD, go to Costco and drop a paltry $130 on a Sony S570 Bluray player. Late Beethoven on Super Audio is a revelation.

The SACDs sound better than the CDs but they are expensive imports from Japan.

OJFC dude.

--Andre

8. Artisan Fan

OJFC dude.

[​IMG]

9. Artisan Fan

Another recommendation is to check out Gary Cooper's versions on Channel Classics. Quite good imho.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

The Y part all have all instruments playing half notes in harmonic and rhythmic unison. I found a neat youtube in which you can hear them sped up. It's hard to hear the melody when you listen to the quartet as written. When it's sped up a little, the Y parts sound very hymnal, like a medieval or renaissance chant. Y ultimately is the core theme of the piece as we shall see in the third A section.

Great video for understanding this:
    http://med.stanford.edu/medcast/2007...-medicine.html

11. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

Silverman is superb. I have heard him play twice. Also great is his Isomike set of Mozart.

He's at my place on Saturday. Wine and lunch. Come over.

Manton's not invited. He digs on The Lindsays.! [​IMG]

12. Artisan Fan

He's at my place on Saturday. Wine and lunch. Come over.

Manton's not invited. He digs on The Lindsays.! [​IMG]

I would love to. Wish I was closer to Toronto.

13. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

14. SField

SField Senior member

Saw Pacifica Quartet do 132 last night... really stunning. I think they're the best active quartet currently.

15. Artisan Fan

Saw Pacifica Quartet do 132 last night... really stunning. I think they're the best active quartet currently.

I have seen the Fry Street Quartet perform recently and they are superb as well.

16. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

No love yet for Op. 109 Mvt. 3...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

17. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

mneh - still hung up on Op 111. the Pizarros have developed into my favorite, though I just this week received the Richter disc I'd ordered in (ahem) June - and it's good but typical of live performances in being rushed at strange times. The finale of Op 110 is thoroughly wonderful, though.