• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lasted shoe trees vs generic ones

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently acquired some good fitting shoes, and they prompted me to think about preserving them as I wear them often.

I currently use Woodlore shoetrees, but was wondering if it is worth the extra dollars to spend on lasted trees.

In your experience, do lasted trees do a much better job at maintaining the shape of shoes compared to generic ones like Woodlore?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
if you can get lasted get lasted if not i think any will be ok!

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Lasted hinged trees are much better.

Good luck finding them, though.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have said that lasted spring-loaded trees are the best. Why do you prefer lasted hinged trees? I sold the hinged RLPL trees I had in favor of Woodlore trees because I found that the hinged trees did not fit tightly enough into the shoes or provide any tension to remove the creases across the upper of the shoe.

mendel

Reaction score
What is a lasted shoe tree?
confused.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
What is a lasted shoe tree?
confused.gif

I'm sure someone is beating me to the reply, but basically it's a tree made to the exact shape of the inside of the shoe. A "last" is the piece of wood over which a shoe is built, that gives it its shape.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
I would have said that lasted spring-loaded trees are the best. Why do you prefer lasted hinged trees? I sold the hinged RLPL trees I had in favor of Woodlore trees because I found that the hinged trees did not fit tightly enough into the shoes or provide any tension to remove the creases across the upper of the shoe.

Some people are of the opinion that spring-loaded trees don't last as long because the spring eventually get jammed, stuck or break, while the hinged trees use a simpler mechanical construction and therefore more durable

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There's a danger with a hinged tree that the fit may be imprecise. However, a good bespoke shoe tree or a good EG hinged lasted tree will fit inside with enough snugness to keep the leather taut. I find that some sprung trees stretch the leather, which in a shoe like a loafer is particularly bad for the fit. Church's sold me trees that were very tautly sprung -- stretched loafers out badly. Bad Church's!

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's my understanding (correct me as usual) that shoes are generally slightly smaller inside than the actual last the shoe was made on. The reason for this being that leather is elastic and pops back a bit when the last is removed.

If (?) this is the case, then are lasted trees generally made to the size of the original last (hence slightly bigger than the inside of the shoe and providing more support for the leather) or smaller so they are easier to fit back into the shoe?

Personally, I think that the most important things to look for in trees are that the surfaces that actually contact the leather and provide force are broad and distribute force widely, rather than being narrow. For example, a large rounded heel is better, and a tree shaped more like a shoe/foot in front is better than one that's reversible due to it being symmetrical. Some of those symmetrical ones will stretch the shoe out enough to do any good only by being spread apart to where the edges are clearly distending the sides of the upper....

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Lasted trees come with bespoke shoes. I'd be surprised if there are none in RTW but I don't know of any. Edward Green, for example, uses one model tree for all it's oxfords, across half a dozen different lasts.
True, but maybe there is a middle ground. I find that trees made by (or for) the manufacturer of the shoe fit the shoe more precisely than trees sourced elsewhere. Not as precisely as a lasted tree, but better than an odd tree.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lasted trees come with bespoke shoes. I'd be surprised if there are none in RTW but I don't know of any. Edward Green, for example, uses one model tree for all it's oxfords, across half a dozen different lasts.
Hmm, the RLPL trees come marked with both last number and size. They didn't look like generic trees to me although as I mentioned, the fit was not particularly snug through the forefoot.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edward Green, for example, uses one model tree for all it's oxfords, across half a dozen different lasts.

I don't think that's correct. The EG trees I own and have seen were for one specific last

Kasper

Reaction score
What about useing ripped out Yellow Pages? I do this when I travel and was thinking that it might be better than shoe trees even because you can stuff them to the exact shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads