1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Last Final Exam Ever (hopefully)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IUtoSLU, May 6, 2010.

1. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

On Saturday morning I am taking (hopefully) the last final exam of my life. The class: Employment discrimination.

I am sooooo excited to be finished. Although I will be relieved, I will have to immediately go back to work part time while I study for the bar exam. And although my life may be just as busy as ever, I will be glad to have school finished.

Anyone else taking their last final - whether it be for this semester or forever?

2. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

3. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Congrats and good luck on the bar exam.

4. cocteau-yorke

cocteau-yorke Member

oh you'll miss exams... they're way better than work![​IMG]

5. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

oh you'll miss exams... they're way better than work![​IMG]

I didn't miss exams when I worked full time over the summers. I understand that being a full-blown associate is different, but I sure will enjoy getting paid!

6. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I graduated early (last december), and took the bar in feb... take it from me, what you've seen in law school is nothing compared to what is about to befall you. I learned vastly more in the 6 weeks of bar prep than in 3 years of law school. Why in the name of all that is merciful they don't let you spend your 3L year just prepping for the bar is beyond me... the whole system is backwards. Your days of schooling could be far from over... if you fail the bar your first try you got another year of studying ahead of you.

7. HEWSINATOR

HEWSINATOR Senior member

I did my last ever (unofficial grades in) last Tuesday. An Employment class too.

8. REguy

REguy Senior member

Congrats on being finished. I just sat through my last grad school class today. Now I just have an 80 page thesis to finish and I'm officially done with school forever! I never expected to go back for a master's degree, but I know I'll never come back for my PhD. While it feels great to be done, I have to admit being back in school has felt pretty comfortable. The real world isn't looking too fondly on someone with a newly minted master's degree in real estate development [​IMG]

9. Japzhe

Japzhe New Member

Hey RE Guy,

I was wondering if I could ask you a view questions about your background and master's in real estate? I am currently undergraduate junior figuring things out and would appreciate the opportunity to ask you a few questions.

10. legit

legit Well-Known Member

I have my last one next Thursday! A silly math elective, and then I'll be an engineer or such.

11. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Senior member

I graduated early (last december), and took the bar in feb... take it from me, what you've seen in law school is nothing compared to what is about to befall you. I learned vastly more in the 6 weeks of bar prep than in 3 years of law school. Why in the name of all that is merciful they don't let you spend your 3L year just prepping for the bar is beyond me... the whole system is backwards. Your days of schooling could be far from over... if you fail the bar your first try you got another year of studying ahead of you.

They really need to teach the basics the first year, more basics the second combined with mandatory real world internship/clerking/pro bono, and then Bar prep the third. Electives in law school are damn near worthless.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Congrats on finishing up. Now the real exams start: career life.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

They really need to teach the basics the first year, more basics the second combined with mandatory real world internship/clerking/pro bono, and then completely eliminate the third. Electives in law school are an excuse to gouge students out of money.
    FTFY

14. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

The bar exam is bigger, but it shouldn't be more stressful. If you pass, you pass--there's no grades, no ranks, no real competition. Look at the bar passage rates. If you study enough you will pass. Don't get too stressed out about it.

FWIW I worked full time right after I graduated, took two weeks off to cram for the bar, and still passed easily. You don't need a whole year to prepare for it.

15. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

FTFY

Yeah, I really loved paying the law school for the privilege of working for free at an internship during my last year, didn' you guys?

16. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Senior member

I never took one silly/worthless elective in law school. My final semester has consisted of bar classes and classes that will apply to my job upon graduation. People keep saying that the "real world" is so much tougher. That's fine - I've worked the past two summers doing real work and I enjoyed it exponentially more than school.

I'm not worried about the bar - everyone takes it and my school has a good bar passage rate. I'm taking BarBri and I have a good schedule set up.

I'm just glad to check another thing off the list: school. 3 years of school is more tiresome than 2 months of studying for the bar.

17. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

They really need to teach the basics the first year, more basics the second combined with mandatory real world internship/clerking/pro bono, and then Bar prep the third. Electives in law school are damn near worthless.

Disagree, if your school has good choices.

If we say the upper level 'basics' are the bar courses (evidence, family law, business associations/organizations, UCC, etc), then Income Tax, Corporate and/or Personal Bankruptcy, trial & appellate & transactional practice are upper level electives. Upper level writing classes are also useful too, even if no one takes them. So right there is nearly enough classes for the entire 2L year.

Then you have classes like Securities, Corporate Tax, Wills Trusts & Estates (that might be two separate classes at some schools) which are either useless to most graduates or 100% required for others (even if no one takes them).

Law students would be well-served to learn how to read a balance sheet too; because either their clients will have balance sheet concerns or they will be trying to make sure their own firm/practice/partnership stays solvent.

Of course, there is also Animal Law . . .

18. bluemagic

bluemagic Senior member

I'm looking forward to Law & Literature myself.

19. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I'm just glad to check another thing off the list: school. 3 years of school is more tiresome than 2 months of studying for the bar.
    Congrats, and all the best to you.

20. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I never took one silly/worthless elective in law school. My final semester has consisted of bar classes and classes that will apply to my job upon graduation. People keep saying that the "real world" is so much tougher. That's fine - I've worked the past two summers doing real work and I enjoyed it exponentially more than school.
    I definitely agree- I'm working in a general practice doing real stuff and it's WAY easier AND funner than all the petty, panic-stricken research and book-worming you have to do in law school.

I'm not worried about the bar - everyone takes it and my school has a good bar passage rate. I'm taking BarBri and I have a good schedule set up.

Ehhhh, be very careful. If you're at a top school and are a good student, don't worry about it... but if you're at a mid-tier school and a mediocre student (like me), all sorts of surprises can happen (ahem, like passing all of the substantive bar exam but failing the 2 hour ethics portion at the end by 1 point, and then be subject to an appeals process, ahem). Mind you I started studying a couple hours every day for FOUR FRICK'n MONTHS before I even started barbri's 8 week program, so again, be very careful.