• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lasik Eye Surgery

illegalcheeser

Reaction score
I had it done super cheap (1100 for both eyes) and I absolutely love it. I haven't experienced a deterioration in vision, but I've heard it happens for some people after a few years. If you're worried about the possibility of blindness, it's nearly impossible---totally worth the risk IMO.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering it.

I've been told by my GP MD. that it is not totally risk free (almost but not totally ), and to look for an eye surgeon that specializes in it and has done many procedures.

If you are in the Houston area PM me if you want and I'll give you the names of the Drs. he recommended.

singhstyle

Reaction score
Hey all, what are the pros and cons? Comments and concerns are welcome. Cheers.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My cousin had it done on both eyes. It was about $1500 for the surgery and he could see clearly the next day. But he was told that "touchups" were necessary later on.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lasik adds scar tissue to your eye to correct your vision. Some old school optometrists don't like the idea of creating scar tissue to otherwise healthy eyes (just because eye sight is poor does not mean your eyes aren't healthy).

bullethead

Reaction score
I had it done in '97 in Canada-it wasn't FDA approved here yet. Only had one eye done, and can say only positive things. In twelve years my vision has maybe slipped a bit but not to a point where I'm considering doing anything for it.

singhstyle

Reaction score
Thanks guys... however, Im going to wait it out another year or so.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had an eye lasered maybe five years ago to repair a torn retina. No more lasers for me.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with waiting a year. The technology will keep getting better.

At present, most people have very good outcomes, but some side effects, such as dryness or halos/starbursts in dark environments, are fairly common. A small percentage of patients do end up with worse vision after the surgery than before: it's possible for LASIK to induce irregular astigmatism, for example, which can't be corrected with ordinary contact lenses or glasses (and isn't easily treatable with a second laser surgery, either). But as someone else said, the chances of a catastrophically bad outcome, if the physician screens you properly before the surgery, are slim to none.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
anyone have some recommendations/prices for the DC area?

BeeZee

Reaction score
I got the all laser Lasik procedure done about a month ago. It's the best money i've spent by far.; im totally satisfied.

Try to get at least 3 opinions to see what each would say about say about your situation and if your eyesight has been stable for at least 2 years. Then if all 3 results are about the same and they determine if you are a candidate for Lasik, go for it.

As for actual the actual Lasik equipment. It's been claimed that the lasers are the same technology that NASA uses. So if you're just waiting for technology to improve it's going to be another handful of years.

emptym

Reaction score
I had it done in the Philippines in '98 and have been very happy. One eye was 20/15, the other 20/20. Last summer one was 20/20 the other 20/25. Before the surgery, I was about 20/300 or so in both eyes.

My doctor, who graduated from and worked at Johns Hopkins, said it was best to do it in one's mid 20's when one's eyes weren't getting more nearsighted and had 15-25+ years before they started to go farsighted. Also best not to do it if one's eyes are really bad or not so bad, if one smokes or drinks a lot, or if one's eyes have astigmatism.

I got it because I didn't like glasses and contacts when doing martial arts (ex: got disqualified from nationals once when my contacts folded in my eyes from getting hit, and I called time out), swimming (lost a few when I'd jump in the water w/ my eyes open, stupidly), traveling (break them, lose them), or talking to girls (sometimes, my glasses would fog up. Very embarrassing... Happened at interviews too.).

At just under $1,000 total, I thought it would pay for itself in 2-3 years, which it did. The one problem I had/have is that there were a few salt crystals left in one eye (leftovers from a saline wash that got caught under the flap). They cause some haziness, but only at night, and only when I really pay attention.

I recommend it, but pls. do a lot of research on LASIK in general and on particular doctors before you decide.

Fatto_in_Italia

Reaction score
I've had my eyes lasered using Lasek (not Lasik!). My doctor said the results in the end would approximately be the same, but risks involved are less as the cornea attaches itself better to the eye again.
The downside of Lasek however is the long recovery process. It took about 3 months before my sight was optimal. I could easily get around after 2 days, but then with a 70% vision. Also, Lasek's recovery process is more painful than Lasik (so I've heard).

But hey, I trusted my doctor and so I went for the Lasek. No regrets at all, vision is nearly perfect (it's hard to get below that 0.5 dpt, what laser technique you use) and I'd recommend it to anyone.

But, like ^ said, do a lot of research before you actually go ahead.

rxcats

Reaction score
I have several friends and colleagues who have had various laser vision correction procedures done. Most are at least moderately satisfied. One said it was the "second best" surgery he ever had; his vasectomy won first place! The most common complaint I hear is dry eyes. This lasted several years with one friend, but eventually improved.

I personally have no problem with contact lenses which I usually wear. I also have a very large collection of eyeglasses that I like to wear on occasion. Given my age (late 40's) with impending presbyopia, I will bow out of Lasik. I suppose it is a good option for those who have such bad vision that they can't find their glasses, hate wearing glasses and can't wear contacts. It is still much easier to change your contact lens and glasses prescription than to change your Lasik correction.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fatto_in_Italia
I've had my eyes lasered using Lasek (not Lasik!). My doctor said the results in the end would approximately be the same, but risks involved are less as the cornea attaches itself better to the eye again. The downside of Lasek however is the long recovery process. It took about 3 months before my sight was optimal. I could easily get around after 2 days, but then with a 70% vision. Also, Lasek's recovery process is more painful than Lasik (so I've heard).
Yes, some of the best surgeons today are going back to using surface ablation (PRK variations such as LASEK) rather than LASIK, since this eliminates the risk of very serious complications that can arise (rarely) from the creation of a thin corneal "flap" in the LASIK procedure. The downsides of surface ablation are, as you say, the pain for the first few days and the anxiety associated with waiting for months before knowing your final visual result.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics