• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Largest ready-to-wear suit brand review (44 brands) by Parisian Gentleman [Updated]

63AMG

Reaction score
Great, great read. Thanks so much, look forward to round 2.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does not really cover the UK - which is a large market.

No Marks and Spencer.

No High Street chains.

No smaller clothing retailers - Ede and Ravenscroft etc.

SeamasterLux

Reaction score
Well I cannot speak for Hugo who's in charge for the whole but as far as I am concerned, we did not review Zara, H&M, Cos, and the thousands of over brands that one can find. We do not claim to be exhaustive but tried to make a significant effort in providing a large database reviewing main RTW brands that most people are interested in or curious about. Feel free to review the ones you mentioned and to submit them to Hugo though.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I cannot speak for Hugo who's in charge for the whole but as far as I am concerned, we did not review Zara, H&M, Cos, and the thousands of over brands that one can find. We do not claim to be exhaustive but tried to make a significant effort in providing a large database reviewing main RTW brands that most people are interested in or curious about. Feel free to review the ones you mentioned and to submit them to Hugo though.

Fair enough. My own opinions on the brands I know are of limited use here. There would be no consistency without reference to what is already mentioned.

What could be done, quite easily, is to indicate market share for the brands reviewed.

Maybe a separate exercise could then be done reviewing the major players in the market - either globally or by country.

jefferyd

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A great insider review to rely upon. Thanks, Jeffreyd and I wish we had asked you to participate sooner than a mere two days prior to publication.

Trying to settle on how to format future reviews---add to the current 39 brand list or or do a part 2 (thoughts, anyone?). Either way, with your permission, we would like to integrate your review on Samuelsohn (whom as far as we know still cuts-makes-trims for Paul Stuart). Btw, are the Soft and Ivory Samuelsohn collections different or the same in level of quality in your view? I have no idea.

Yes, of course. Regarding the Soft and Ivory, I haven't had a chance to compare them, but it brings up an important point; people forget that there are different categories and levels of make from every manufacturer. Just because one line is fully canvassed and has hand work doesn't mean all of them do, and doesn't mean that those lines won't change slightly from season to season. That's why I think the Working Hierarchical Whatever thread is flawed.

Last edited:

dirnelli

Reaction score
I totally agree, which is why I refused to do reviews of brands that I am familiar with from earlier periods in their history, e.g. a brand like Chester Barrie, which was absolutely stunning once, judging from the vintage pieces that I owned, but I'm well aware that today the manufacturing standards of that brand are not what they used to be.

At the other end of the spectrum, take a brand like Faconnable, which I will probably review: I happen to know first-hand how great they were many many years ago, and I also happen to own some of their garments from recent collections, which are not playing in the same league. So I would be very hesitant to review them today without owning something from the current collection. So my review today would still be relevant, even though I would not be writing a review of their former glory, only a review of today's state of affairs at the brand.

Brands have a history, with ups and downs -- mainly downs actually. As they get bigger, it's hard for them to keep up with the same manufacturing quality on a massive scale unfortunately. Which is why the Caruso story is so striking to me.

Last edited:

coloRLOw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why I think the Working Hierarchical Whatever thread is flawed.
indeed,jeffery.
but i think if we constantly update it according to the latest experience,despite some lagging, the list is still useful

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fair enough. My own opinions on the brands I know are of limited use here. There would be no consistency without reference to what is already mentioned.

What could be done, quite easily, is to indicate market share for the brands reviewed.

Maybe a separate exercise could then be done reviewing the major players in the market - either globally or by country.

Market share is probably the least relevant metric. The top brand would likely be sold at WalMart, which only tells us it is cheap and has wide distribution.

I think their approach is perfect: Reviewing the top brands with the most interest.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Market share is probably the least relevant metric. The top brand would likely be sold at WalMart, which only tells us it is cheap and has wide distribution.

I think their approach is perfect: Reviewing the top brands with the most interest.

"Top brands" is a debatable claim if it is applied to a two bob company that few people have heard of and even less purchase from.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Top brands" is a debatable claim if it is applied to a two bob company that few people have heard of and even less purchase from.

It depends on what is the intent of the review.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wrote that poorly. They have reviewed the brands that generate the most discussion and are generally well known here on SF. They are "Top brands" in that people here are most interested in these brands' reviews. They have added a few lesser know names that they are familiar with, but this only adds interest and value IMO.

I agree that it would be great to have comparisons of top selling brands like Hugo Boss, etc, which I expect would not compare favorably. But that would be a lot of work, and who wants to spend time and money on these brands? I think they seem to have (or will) hit the important ones.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wrote that poorly. They have reviewed the brands that generate the most discussion and are generally well known here on SF. They are "Top brands" in that people here are most interested in these brands' reviews. They have added a few lesser know names that they are familiar with, but this only adds interest and value IMO.

I agree that it would be great to have comparisons of top selling brands like Hugo Boss, etc, which I expect would not compare favorably. But that would be a lot of work, and who wants to spend time and money on these brands? I think they seem to have (or will) hit the important ones.

OK igent companies. It should be just as easy to review M&S as Lewin though, for the UK. Likewise Hackett, as opposed to similar outfits like Tyrwhitt, Roderick Charles etc.

Somatic

Reaction score
Fascinating reviews to read! Hats off to the author for taking the time to write all this up!

Can't wait to one day own a Tom Ford suit, but it'll have to wait until I get into good enough shape to warrant such a purchase lol.

That said... how would you guys describe/rate Ludlow suits from JCrew? Wondering how they'd stack up with some of the entry level ones on here. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a sparingly worn suit that I may have to replace less than a year later.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads