Large Neck Size, Sleep Apnea Risk

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mensimageconsultant, May 11, 2006.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

The May issue of Esquire says...
    "If your neck size is greater than seventeen inches, you have a greater chance of developing sleep apnea," due to fat around the throat.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

true. sleep apnea is a strange thing - if you talk to alot of doctors, it is a serious killer, many of the fat famous people who died of heart attacks, had serious problems with sleep apnea. sleep apnea creates great strain on the heart, during sleep, and, it is claimed, can cause heart attacks during sleep.

on the other hand, I have talked to just as many doctors who claim that is is a made up desease. having been indirectly related to the business of the main products that sleep apnea sufferers use to cut risk of heart attack, I can tell you it is huge business.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Sports publications have recently been writing about the danger sleep apnea poses to NFL players.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I have a roughly 17.5 inch neck, but its not fat. I just have a muscular neck. I occasionally stop breathing when I sleep, and then I wake up. Plus I snore. AND I elbow girls in the middle of the night, usually right in the face. It makes it kind of hard to have a sleepover.

5. globetrotter

I have a roughly 17.5 inch neck, but its not fat. I just have a muscular neck. I occasionally stop breathing when I sleep, and then I wake up. Plus I snore. AND I elbow girls in the middle of the night, usually right in the face. It makes it kind of hard to have a sleepover.

don't quote me on this, TS - but you are not the kind of guy at risk. I am the kind of guy at risk. muscular neck is good - it's when you can pinch a nice roll of fat on your neck that you start to worry. and, in 10 years or so.

and even with that, I don't have it. this is a serious thing, but a lot of people are pushed into buying expensive products that they don't really need.

6. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

So what do I do about the elbowing girls in the face part?

[​IMG]

7. globetrotter

So what do I do about the elbowing girls in the face part?

[​IMG]

blame them. the first few times they are over, wake them up, and say "what was that all about? you attacked me in your sleep!!" and convince them that when you do hit them later you are just defending your poor self.

seriously - I pretty much knew I was going to marry mrs trotter when I saw she was able to handle my snoring.

8. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

blame them. the first few times they are over, wake them up, and say "what was that all about? you attacked me in your sleep!!" and convince them that when you do hit them later you are just defending your poor self.

seriously - I pretty much knew I was going to marry mrs trotter when I saw she was able to handle my snoring.

Ha... I like it. I'll have to remember that one. They teach you that in the army?

[​IMG]

9. VMan

VMan Senior member

My neck is almost 18", but I don't think I have a lot of body fat. I'm 6' and 170 lbs. Is this still true?

-EDIT- Just read GT's response to Slim.

10. keal

keal Senior member

As far as snoring goes, if you take a teaspoon of olive oil before you hit the sack, it'll cut down, if not stop your snoring. It coats your throat. It totally stopped my snoring problem. Also works for coughs if you don't want to be downing cough syrup all the time [​IMG]

11. Manic

Manic Active Member

There are actually two forms of physical sleep apnea.

There is the too much fat/weight on the throat apnea.

But there is also a condition that the throat just collapses on itself, for no reason other than crappy genetics I guess. I suffer from that. It completely inhibits my breathing if my head is not tilted severely forward while I lay down. Like we're talking chin against my chest if I am on my back.

When I go to the dentist, I have been known to pass out because I can't breathe at all when laying on my back.

I stop breathing regularly, I snore like an angry bear, and I'm constantly choking in my sleep. All of this is odd because I am only 5'9, 155 pounds, and have a 15.5 inch neck.

It causes all kinds of other issues as well. Because I can't get into proper sleep from half waking up so many times thoughout the night, I tend to develop a form of "REM behavioral Disorder".

Basically... I punch my girlfriend in the head.[​IMG]

Luckily, she's a sweetie, and won't hit back because I am sleeping. But boy do I hear about it the next day. [​IMG]

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

It causes all kinds of other issues as well. Because I can't get into proper sleep from half waking up so many times thoughout the night, I tend to develop a form of "REM behavioral Disorder".

Basically... I punch my girlfriend in the head.[​IMG]

Luckily, she's a sweetie, and won't hit back because I am sleeping. But boy do I hear about it the next day. [​IMG]

Plus all her friends look at you funny when you drop her off at the tupperware party.

"Oh, he punches me in the face when he sleeps"... uh huh, yeah, suuure...

13. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

I don't know why, but this reminds me of Henry Rollins, the most hardcore neck in hardcore (music, not pr0n).

14. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I don't know why, but this reminds me of Henry Rollins, the most hardcore neck in hardcore (music, not pr0n).

I think Henry Rollins's neck might be bigger than mine.

15. scoon0224

scoon0224 Senior member

I do the punching and elbowing thing too... (and swearing and pushing)

Ever wake up with the feeling "Oh I just did something bad..." to see her jump out of bed with a bloody nose or a busted lip?

(yeah... sleeping or not... still landed me in the doghouse a couple times)