• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large metal watches with tailoring.

Sport watch with tailoring.

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex prices began taking off in the mid 70s.
View attachment 1684772
Their cache from the 70s onward is not the same as the 60s and before.

As @RSS Alluded to earlier, arguing against Rolex Fandom is almost pointless.

To me, Rolexs are a signifier I don't care for. To me they strike me more as a....LV purse circa 2008.

I think there are many appreciable stories regarding them. I recently heard @dieworkwear tell his, and I think its great.

But in the early 60s when Dr No came out, they were nothing like they were today.

That's an argument to hold on to the crap we have today, because who knows when it might be worth something?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's an argument to hold on to the crap we have today, because who knows when it might be worth something?

Who knows? It's certainly probable that something that isn't expensive today will be valued in future.

But being able to predict what that is is way beyond me.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who knows? It's certainly probable that something that isn't expensive today will be valued in future.

Oh for sure, I was agreeing with you. I'm constantly eyeing things and wondering whether it might not be worth storing for 10 years or so just in case. I think some bags or watches are actually appreciating better than gold these days.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh for sure, I was agreeing with you. I'm constantly eyeing things and wondering whether it might not be worth storing for 10 years or so just in case. I think some bags or watches are actually appreciating better than gold these days.

Some watches certainly. Mostly ones I don't particularly like it seems.

Birkins have been appreciating for a while.

The art would be being able to predict it.

Unfortunately I doubt any of the things that I buy are due for Rolex like inflation.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
meaning endures , while stuff ends up in a landfill . it's not too hard to tell which is which imho , the hard part is rescuing meaning before it hits the trash pile .

also: wasn't christopher lee meta-associated with bond ?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some watches certainly. Mostly ones I don't particularly like it seems.

Birkins have been appreciating for a while.

The art would be being able to predict it.

Unfortunately I doubt any of the things that I buy are due for Rolex like inflation.

This puts me in mind of a story I read in which one old family (English) had a family friend make up some portraits for them while that artist was still budding. He gave the portraits to them gratis, and subsequently went on to become a famous and sought-after name, so the paintings were worth tens of thousands.

I'm guessing the easiest thing is to just keep the things you treasure the most, or whatever was made with real talent, and those things tend to be the most valuable over time - whether monetarily or in a better sense.

meaning endures , while stuff ends up in a landfill . it's not too hard to tell which is which imho , the hard part is rescuing meaning before it hits the trash pile .

also: wasn't christopher lee meta-associated with bond ?

I believe Sir Christopher Lee was a close friend of Sir Roger Moore, anyway. (the second-best Bond)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A large portion of men seem to think an emotionally broken mass killer with a high likelihood of VD is a dream scenario?
For many, it is a step up.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Early on. Then the 70s and the “world famous secret agent” stuff took over.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This puts me in mind of a story I read in which one old family (English) had a family friend make up some portraits for them while that artist was still budding. He gave the portraits to them gratis, and subsequently went on to become a famous and sought-after name, so the paintings were worth tens of thousands.

I'm guessing the easiest thing is to just keep the things you treasure the most, or whatever was made with real talent, and those things tend to be the most valuable over time - whether monetarily or in a better sense.

I believe Sir Christopher Lee was a close friend of Sir Roger Moore, anyway. (the second-best Bond)
Lee was also the Man with the Golden Gun

1634212606933.png

Last edited:

yorkshire pud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If any object turns out to be greater than the sum of it's parts, it will almost definately become artwork at some point in the future, even ordinary utilitarian objects!!!!

It's thoughtful design that creates classics!!!!

Reaction score
Just curios what people think about this topic. Personally I think the large sport watch (speedmaster, nautilus etc) with metal band looks incredibly tasteless worn with tailored clothes. It’s a very common look though, so I might be wrong.
At this moment I'm wearing a gray flannel suit, point collar with tie, Edward Green shows and an incongruous 44mm two-tone Sea Dweller. I know -- blows the whole look. But I do love it so. As some have mentioned, the cuffs are a problem. No problem fitting under a Mercer & Sons button down, but otherwise, unless it has to ride uncomfortably below the cuff, on the wrist.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this moment I'm wearing a gray flannel suit, point collar with tie, Edward Green shows and an incongruous 44mm two-tone Sea Dweller. I know -- blows the whole look. But I do love it so. As some have mentioned, the cuffs are a problem. No problem fitting under a Mercer & Sons button down, but otherwise, unless it has to ride uncomfortably below the cuff, on the wrist.

This does beg the question...are people wearing these thick watches w/ OTR shirts?

I have cuffs made with watch allowances to allow, but as I also have large wrists, I can't imagine wearing even a speedy w/o cuff allowance.

Reaction score
This does beg the question...are people wearing these thick watches w/ OTR shirts?

I have cuffs made with watch allowances to allow, but as I also have large wrists, I can't imagine wearing even a speedy w/o cuff allowance.
I too have big wrists, and like you, can only wear a big diver with custom-made shirts with a big left cuff. The only OTR shirt that works for me is the mercer and Sons OCBD, because they are...huge... and the cuff buttons are set back close to the wrist. Love those shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads