• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large metal watches with tailoring.

Sport watch with tailoring.

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

ClassicStyle1950

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that most personal story. To me, that's the beauty of an heirloom watch that will last from generation to generation. About a year ago my son graduated from Marine Officer Candidate School, just as I did over 30 years ago. It was the most meaningful day of my life. (And yes, I know I'm supposed to mention my wedding and the birth of my first child here, but...) I presented him with a Sea Dweller, engraved with his name, and "Marine" and the date of his graduation. It brings me great joy to think of him giving it to his son some day and maybe telling a story about his old man.

The Sea Dweller has justifiably taken a few knocks here. Fine. I like it better than the Sub because it's bigger on my large wrists. I also like the story, and the ridiculous over-engineering. No, I don't dive. But I do beat the hell out of it and use the dial as a timer almost every day. (How long have I been walking? How long has my wife been telling me about her day? Is the steak done?)

I'm a watch guy, and feel naked without one. I could never bring myself to wear an Apple Watch.
That's a neat story. Your son will appreciate that watch for the rest of his life.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nowadays it's become quite usual to wear big sporty watches with a suit or tailoring in general, also under the influence of celebrities who sport pan-sized pieces on their wrists. Although I'm not par tout against the trend, would however use a grain of salt: if a Nautilus, a Royal Oak, a Submariner, to mention some of the most known, certainly look great with a sport coat, and don't cut a poor figure even with a suit, I would avoid any exccess in the form of gigantic watches, like any or the most of Richard Milles, Hublots and similar.

acconrad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Richard Mille is the Ed Hardy of watches.

But as to this thread's purpose, why not lean the other way and wear dress watches with casual clothing? Reverso is a sports watch after all...

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Nowadays it's become quite usual to wear big sporty watches with a suit or tailoring in general, also under the influence of celebrities who sport pan-sized pieces on their wrists. Although I'm not par tout against the trend, would however use a grain of salt: if a Nautilus, a Royal Oak, a Submariner, to mention some of the most known, certainly look great with a sport coat, and don't cut a poor figure even with a suit, I would avoid any exccess in the form of gigantic watches, like any or the most of Richard Milles, Hublots and similar.
That's about right. The point of a suit is 'suivre'-- one thing following the next. It should all look like a unit, with matching jacket and trousers, and nothing else too conspicuous. It's potentially distinguished, but not necessarily incredibly formal. So, yes-- make sure you don't have band-aid colored shoes with a midnight blue suit. And have a tie that looks like it came from the same planet. But if a watch isn't flashy enough to interrupt the line, then go for it.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Richard Mille the Ed Hardy of watches.” Thats brilliant!😁

The Rake has a RM advert within the first few pages of every issue and I’ve yet to see a single one that I find attractive.

I read an online article once about a bloke who borrowed a RM and went into detail about all the doors it opened for the writer within the day or two that he wore it as if it instantly granted him entree to numerous VIP situations. I found all this highly implausible.

As for the OP I’m in agreement with some recent comments. Remember Connery was wearing a sub with suits and black tie as early as Goldfinger in the mid sixties so this is nothing new. By more recent standards a sub is positively demure. I wear mine with suits all the time but if I owned a Panerai hockey puck or similar I wouldn’t wear it with a suit.

If I was to rewind my life I could see myself eschewing all the watches I’ve accumulated and putting my $$ into a ‘one watch’ like a royal blue VC Overseas which could be worn with just about anything.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For me, that solution is the CLUB SPORT NEOMATIK 42 DATE BLUE, Reference 782. Not perfect for all things, but the day on the water I do without is probably a day to avoid wearing any watch. And when I'm feeling too dressed to wear it with a suit, I'm also OK doing without entirely, even if VC Trad or Lange Skinny would be natural choices.

It's probably back from Germany now, after a stupidly unnecessary repair. Before I shipped it off, though, I was literally wearing it 24/7. 30 ATM pretty well takes care even of humidity in the shower. The lume was enough to prevent me from needing to check my phone in the middle of the night. And it has the rare virtue of being somewhat acceptable to watch geeks while being invisible to anyone who'd form an opinion of my wearing a Rolex.

Rich T

Reaction score
I never go out without a watch because I need to know the time when I want to.

As per my experience, style goes with both the education/location and the economy. If you are educated (or located in a developed country) then you know about the styles because you live in that kind of surroundings.

Where I live (INDIA), most are from lower economic backgrounds and hence people prefer simpler watches that are more reliable and cheaper to repair if broken. So questions like big brands and style rules do not arise.

I buy quartz watches, have four of them. One digital ($5.33) and three analogs, one is a fashion analog ($12.79)) which I disliked the most after a while. The other two are a TIMEX ($17.32) and a CASIO, both really good-looking. CASIO is a bit on the expensive side ($33)

Guess, which one I use the most? The cheapest one, digital. Not because it's cheap but because it's most useful, it has day and date display. When I want to look at the time or the day or all of them, I just need to look at it for less than a second to know what it is. Mobile one needs to take out from pocket and unlock to check. Way too long and complicated if you check time 20-30 times a day like me. Just flip your wrist and you get everything.

Analog watches have one big advantage: it's easier to know time. You just need to look at them indirectly and your eyes easily catch the minute and hour hands. Digital time is not so easy to catch, it takes a good angle. Also, the CASIO one has a bright blue dial with steel hands, and they kind of look like blending with each other when you look and hence it takes a second to get the time.

View attachment 1692230

View attachment 1692231
View attachment 1692232
View attachment 1692234
Of all the posts, yours has me smiling the most. Living authentically, less concerned about rules of formal wear than about living, is a welcome detour from a lot of the other posts. Thank You

arnuld

Reaction score
Of all the posts, yours has me smiling the most. Living authentically, less concerned about rules of formal wear than about living, is a welcome detour from a lot of the other posts. Thank You
I had forgotten about it. Great to know this made you smile :)

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScootsMcGee