• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large Legs and butt making it hard to find a suit

GregorC

Reaction score
Hi,

So I've been running into issues picking up suits for work. I'm a 42'' chest as measured but most stores near me cannot accommodate my huge legs and ass. Trousers up to 40'' depending on the make have been known to have too tight a thigh for me and once the thigh is accommodated the waist is so huge the trousers just don't fit properly. That's all without even considering whether or not the store will sell me a set with a 2'' drop. I'm really not sure what to do because I NEED suits for work but I can't find anything that works. Every store I visit I have to leave empty handed and it's becoming a bit sad. Any advice?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can work. Depends on the maker's ability to adjust their pattern.

Nope. Not if his problems are as extreme as he is describing. Probably has issues with the chest in the jacket too, he just doesn’t see it.

GregorC

Reaction score
How do you fit into any normal trousers?

MTM won't work btw, you need bespoke.

Like, everything I wear is tight on the thigh, but I can't do that with suit trousers otherwise I'm going to end up with them in 2 pieces when I sit down.

GregorC

Reaction score
Nope. Not if his problems are as extreme as he is describing. Probably has issues with the chest in the jacket too, he just doesn’t see it.
What do you mean here? When I'm fitted for a jacket a 42'' chest generally fits or sometimes a 44'' taken in a bunch.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He’s making assumptions, sight unseen.

I’m making assumptions based on description.

Like, everything I wear is tight on the thigh, but I can't do that with suit trousers otherwise I'm going to end up with them in 2 pieces when I sit down.

So you wear ordinary trousers that don’t fit. Also I hate trousers that are tight on the thigh. You probably need pleats.

What do you mean here? When I'm fitted for a jacket a 42'' chest generally fits or sometimes a 44'' taken in a bunch.

Again here, I’m guessing based on your description of yourself. I haven’t seen a photo of you but I’m guessing from my own experience. I have similar problems that you have. You’ll find with experience that you’re going to need bespoke to get a proper fit. Some mtms will get you an okay fit but not perfect.

How was suit supply rtw for you? That might be worth giving a try.

For trousers try stoffa. Their house style is pleated. I’m on the fence about them or just going fully bespoke (which obviously costs more). But they’re not bad overall.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads