• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

large aviators. please help!

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
i travel alot and play many outdoor festivals (im a professional jazz musician). i have been look for a very large pair of Aviators sunglasses that will accept a prescription. the largest available size and bespoke is not out of the question if it becomes necessary. 73m x 73 would be perfect. please advise

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
There is a guy on eBay (username barneydawg) who sold me my Randolph Engineering aviator frames. They were way cheap and are extremely well made. He was selling them frames only, so I took them down to the optical store and had polarized lenses fitted.

Mine are the smallest size (52mm), but he was a good seller, with a great product at a great price (I think I paid like $14 for the frames brand new). He had a lot of them then, but none listed now. Still, maybe drop him a line, see if he still has any and if he can get the larger sizes.

edit...just checked....Randolphs only go up to 58mm - sorry.

Leaf

Reaction score
I know Serengeti makes large aviator sunglasses. I don't think they are 73x73. The measurements that they list on their web site are 62 x 68mm. But I know that this model is pretty big. Serengeti prescription aviator sunglasses might be a good choice for you.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
i get compliments on mine. They are certainly very well made, classically aviator styled. For the fourteen-bucks-plus-shipping the frames cost me, plus another 25 to put in some polarised lenses, I am damn sure not complaining about the value. Style-wise, I definitely like 'em. Plus luckystrike - my evil European twin from whom I bite all my style - also likes his.
smile.gif

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My RE Concorde's are definitely the nicest aviators I've seen of that style.

What's this $14 schtick? I paid $99 plus shipping + $50 customs

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by somatoform
What's this $14 schtick? I paid $99 plus shipping + $50 customs
See my post above, a guy on eBay came across a big bunch of them with no lenses, I got mine for $14, plus about the same to ship them (I'm in Vietnam) and maybe a few bucks in customs duties. I wandered into the optical store and had polarised lenses fitted for another 25 or so...so all told my REs cost me 55 give or take - but with better lenses than the standard glass that they come with. I'm not complaining..

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
i get compliments on mine. They are certainly very well made, classically aviator styled. For the fourteen-bucks-plus-shipping the frames cost me, plus another 25 to put in some polarised lenses, I am damn sure not complaining about the value. Style-wise, I definitely like 'em. Plus luckystrike - my evil European twin from whom I bite all my style - also likes his.
smile.gif

Ha! I prefer "bizarro-M@t", though. Here are my Randolphs; they "wear large", somewhat, so you might try the 58mm. I have a fairly big head, and wear the 55mm ones.
DSC06633.jpg
DSC03966.jpg
Edit: These are acyually made by American Optical, but both the RE and AO originally relate to the same USAF contract.

freefinancialadvice

Reaction score
Serengeti model 5222L RX are Lens Size: 61.75 x 55.5 x 68mm.

They are the only ones I could find that will accomodate my ginormous head. Love 'em.

8bpc

Reaction score
Lucky Strike: Where did you purchase your American Optical aviators?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that if you are putting in an RX, you don want them to be too big. They will be heavy! Also, the place you get them from will have to surface them to make them thinner....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads