• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Large armscyes = ill fitting shirt sleeves?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the overall size of the sleeves is what makes it baggy. you probably also want higher armholes. if the shirt isn't made that way, it's not something worth fixing with RTW.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A number of Italian shirtmakers have high armscyes and narrower arms, but the problem is distinguishing between the slim-cut ones and the other (such as Borrelli) that often make more tent-like shirts with larger armholes for the US market.

Borrelli does make slimmer shirts, but they aren't that common on the internet.
Others are more knowledgeable about this than am I, but I believe that brands such as Finamore and Barba have smaller armholes and slimmer arms.

Also, if you ever happen to go to Japan, there are plenty of shirts with high/smaller armholes that are beautifully made. I've got a couple by a shirtmaker named "Camiciao" (which is basically a bastardisation of the Italian word for shirt) that have MoP buttons and unfused collar and cuffs in lovely fabrics, both of which I bought from Matsuya department store in Ginza for the princely sum of Y7000 (about AU$80 at the time) each. Even Uniqlo makes reasonable business shirts - particularly with button-down collars - with high armholes.

cs1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Is there some way (other than bespoke) to reduce the size of armscyes on shirts? The reason I ask is that even though I wear shirts with the right (more or less) sleeve length, my shirt sleeves always end up looking baggy due to the excess fabric of the large armscyes and my small biceps. Am I right in thinking that smaller armscyes make for better fitting shirt sleeves (assuming that the sleeve length is correct)?

Most good alteration tailors can fix that. I've had some shirts done that took a lot of the excess material out and they look better than the typical Brooks Bros blousy baggy look. Just look up some tailors and spend an hour on the phone. You're bound to find somebody that can help. Good luck

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads