• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 3: Yeossal handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 2nd auction is for a pair of handwelted shoe with lasted shoe trees courtesy of Yeossal. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Large armscyes = ill fitting shirt sleeves?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the overall size of the sleeves is what makes it baggy. you probably also want higher armholes. if the shirt isn't made that way, it's not something worth fixing with RTW.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A number of Italian shirtmakers have high armscyes and narrower arms, but the problem is distinguishing between the slim-cut ones and the other (such as Borrelli) that often make more tent-like shirts with larger armholes for the US market.

Borrelli does make slimmer shirts, but they aren't that common on the internet.
Others are more knowledgeable about this than am I, but I believe that brands such as Finamore and Barba have smaller armholes and slimmer arms.

Also, if you ever happen to go to Japan, there are plenty of shirts with high/smaller armholes that are beautifully made. I've got a couple by a shirtmaker named "Camiciao" (which is basically a bastardisation of the Italian word for shirt) that have MoP buttons and unfused collar and cuffs in lovely fabrics, both of which I bought from Matsuya department store in Ginza for the princely sum of Y7000 (about AU$80 at the time) each. Even Uniqlo makes reasonable business shirts - particularly with button-down collars - with high armholes.

cs1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by merkur
Is there some way (other than bespoke) to reduce the size of armscyes on shirts? The reason I ask is that even though I wear shirts with the right (more or less) sleeve length, my shirt sleeves always end up looking baggy due to the excess fabric of the large armscyes and my small biceps. Am I right in thinking that smaller armscyes make for better fitting shirt sleeves (assuming that the sleeve length is correct)?

Most good alteration tailors can fix that. I've had some shirts done that took a lot of the excess material out and they look better than the typical Brooks Bros blousy baggy look. Just look up some tailors and spend an hour on the phone. You're bound to find somebody that can help. Good luck

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 129 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 236 31.8%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 118 15.9%
  • 31 - 40