• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laptops

bcpool

Reaction score
Thinking of buying a new laptop. $600-$800 dollar range. Usually I just buy the cheapest I can and keep it until it doesn't work anymore but I'm looking for a more 'grown up' machine. I don't game. Mostly used for bookkeeping, internet, iTunes, Blackberry, camera (try to keep most pictures on a seperate drive).

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
Pretty sure you can get a macbook white in that price range now.

If you aren't a mac fan, try a lenovo. You should be able to find an Ideapad in your price range. Great computers.

Zachgranstrom

Reaction score
laptops to consider in that range:

1. Toshiba Satellite
2.Lenovo
3. Asus
4.Sony Vaio

turboman808

Reaction score
I just got a hell of a deal on a toshiba 2 weeks ago at best buy. I4 processor with 8 gigs of ram, 1 gb video and 1 terrbyte hard drive for $1000. Way under priced. I have to think someone messed up on the pricing but hey I didn't complain and even the sales person said thats to good to be true.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Core i4 processors huh?
laugh.gif

Also, you're going to find such a wide range of ****, from any maker, in that price range. A lot of places are still selling last gen stuff in that range while you can also find current gen such as an i3 or i5.

Examples:

Gateway has the ID49C08u which has an i5, 4gb DDR3, and nvidia 330m (great for gaming, HD content, etc) for $850.

Dell is offering their Studio 15 or Inspiron 15R (whichever looks better to you, essentially the same guts) with an i5, 6gb ddr3 ram, and an HD 5470 (not quite as good as the 330m, but way better than integrated) for $680 after a couple of coupons.

Asus UL30A-X5K is a lower power (previous gen processor), but highly portable and long lasting battery laptop for $600

Lenovo G460, core i3 and 4gb ram, but Integrated video (fine for every day surfing, but may stutter processing HD video such as YouTube 720p) for $550 after coupon.

HP G72t 17" screen, core i5, 4gb ram, integrated video for $675.

Are you looking for a large screen mobile desktop style, normal notebook all around performer, or an ultra light and portable? That will help narrow down the field

AFG34

Reaction score
laptops from commercial lines of most brand names are not that good

for 6-8 hundred, i would get an asus

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a recent lenovo convert...best bang for the buck, no bloatware, great prices

loveswatching

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bcpool
Thinking of buying a new laptop. $600-$800 dollar range. Usually I just buy the cheapest I can and keep it until it doesn't work anymore but I'm looking for a more 'grown up' machine. I don't game. Mostly used for bookkeeping, internet, iTunes, Blackberry, camera (try to keep most pictures on a seperate drive).
Buy a $299-$399 Celeron processor laptop and you will be all set. According to your needs it should enough.

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
I am a recent lenovo convert...best bang for the buck, no bloatware, great prices

+1, got a low-end thinkpad edge 13" 6 months ago and very happy. chic and stylish compared to anything else under $1000, much lighter than white macbook. no dvd drive but i got a samsung external one from amazon for $40. huge trackpad.

27ypx6g.jpg

joshhorton31

Reaction score
I found a great deal on some laptops that she might like with their powerful capabilities. There so many online shopping site offer best deal as per your range..so my suggest buy with online.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's all about budget and what the owner wants to use the laptop for...with those 2 in mind finding one to suit becomes much easier.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Dell Vostro for about $400.

Has:

Fingerprint reader (for security)
Optional camera
CD/DVDRW drive
SD card reader
4 USB ports
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Etc.

dell-vostro-1510-laptop.jpg

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new laptop. I've always been very happy with Toshiba laptops, and the satllite line in particular. Looking at this model right now.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?poid=2000015569

Anyone have any experience with this model? Any other Toshibas to recommend instead?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads