• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laptops, which to get

Korben

Reaction score
I was thinking of picking one up:

Mac Book Pro 13"

or this

Vaio

Needs general computing and would like them to run relatively hefty games. I know the price goes with the vaio. And I know it is comparing apples and oranges. Just want some input, I completely suck at computers.

Sorry for the repost, misspelled the title in the last one. I told you I wasn't good with computers. I guess the bourbon doesn't help either.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What games are we talking? Also Mac for games? hahahahaha. Unless you plan to run windows, good luck finding games for that.
Mac has a better graphics card and faster ram, but less of it and costs more. Vaio has more ram and a bigger screen, but depending on what games we are talking about may be suficient graphics wise (512mb ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, I believe this is shared/integrated). If you were to spend a little more you could get a Windows laptop that could beat the pants off the Mac and be cheaper.

wadleygeforce

Reaction score
i'd go with the vaio fof gaming, both are difficult to upgrade and customize so just go with the better value and warranty

Korben

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
What games are we talking? Also Mac for games? hahahahaha. Unless you plan to run windows, good luck finding games for that.
Mac has a better graphics card and faster ram, but less of it and costs more. Vaio has more ram and a bigger screen, but depending on what games we are talking about may be suficient graphics wise (512mb ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, I believe this is shared/integrated). If you were to spend a little more you could get a Windows laptop that could beat the pants off the Mac and be cheaper.

I don't know. I know my son plays World of Warcraft and I am sure he will want to put that on it. Other than that. I don't guess it really matters. And what windows laptop would be teh pants off the Mac, can I get a link?

spencers

Reaction score
Hefty games?

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 in the Vaio should be the selling point!
You aren't going to get much out of the 9400M in the Mac.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Korben
I don't know. I know my son plays World of Warcraft and I am sure he will want to put that on it. Other than that. I don't guess it really matters. And what windows laptop would be teh pants off the Mac, can I get a link?

I bought my laptop in September of 2006 and I can still run World of Warcraft's latest expansion on it now. I don't bother to try games like Modern Warfare 2 on it though, I'm pretty sure it's not going to handle that well.

Have you considered screen size and battery life? I bought a 17" laptop with the latest graphic card, a gig of RAM and a dualcore processor - pretty much the best available gaming laptop at the time. The downside of all of this is that my battery life doesn't even extend past 2 hours, it's heavy, large and is prone to overheat. I took all these things in stride because I knew it would function as a desktop I could move around more easily - but you should consider these aspects before buying one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads