1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop, help

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoJets, Jul 23, 2008.

1. GoJets

GoJets Member

need to purchase a new Laptop. (the one I have is about 4 years old)
    Any advice?

2. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

My iBook G4 is 4 years old too. Works perfectly fine for my needs. Do you need one, or just want one? Big difference.

3. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Buy one for your needs and not for "the deal" or the specs.

What will you be using the laptop for.

I basically surf the web, have fun on SF and some other forums, and use my laptop for picture transmittals (Picasa) and lots of text applications. No heavy duty use like Cad design or video editing.

What did I get? A Dell XPS loaded to the gills. Absolutely everything possible except for the Blue-Ray drive. Do I need a powerhouse like that. Hell no, but I got a great deal, so in essence I bought "the deal".

BTW: The XPS is spectacular but way too much for me.

4. VKK3450

VKK3450 Senior member

Size matters. Or rather weight.

If you are going to be carrying it around with you be sure that you get something light. And remember that external drives and power supplies add more weight

+1 on rnoldh

K

5. DNW

DNW Senior member

Lenovo (or the latest IBM made one) Thinkpad T or Z series. Done!

6. GoJets

GoJets Member

I really want something that is Light!

7. DNW

DNW Senior member

The Thinkpad X300 weighs just about 3 lbs, and can last for 8 hrs on the larger 6-cell battery. This just might be my next purchase. It is a little steep, though, at around $2500-$3000.

8. sleekblackroadster

sleekblackroadster Senior member

i'm partial to the aesthetics of the hp laptops with the new 'infinity' screens.

lcd is the most crucial thing with laptops imo. some are just terrible.

9. phryxis

phryxis Active Member

seriously, you should highly consider a macbook.

they are fantastic, simple machines. don't listen to the mac hater bandwagon.

10. Enzo

Enzo Active Member

There are a lot of really light HPs out there. I see them in classes all the time. Also Macbooks are pretty good, my friend has one and I use it from time to time when I'm at his house. If you want to do picture or video editing you should get a Macbook.

11. Nahmeanz

Nahmeanz Senior member

go on slickdeals.net and see what the have, usually dell has some good deals.

12. Zandros

Zandros Senior member

lcd is the most crucial thing with laptops imo. some are just terrible.
    The display, as well as the keyboard and the trackpad (or trackpoint) are probably the most neglected things when people buy computers, and yet the things that will decide how much they will enjoy using it. And honestly, I'm very partial to the trackpads Apple use on their laptops. /Adrian

13. crease

crease Well-Known Member

Lenovo (or the latest IBM made one) Thinkpad T or Z series. Done!

Lenovo's are great. Plus, in Canada, you can usually save 10-15% if you pay with your Visa through visaperks.ca

14. appolyon

appolyon Senior member

Dell 1720 ... and get them to upgrade you to 7200rpm drives (they are a non standard upgrade but you just badger them over the phone until they do it)