1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Laptop for Bschool

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by KJT, Jul 11, 2011.

1. gqreader239

gqreader239 Senior member

http://leatherjacketsandjeans.blogspot.com/
    Slickdeals.net

Laptops for school should run you sub $500. No need to get into the 1k area.

2. scientific

scientific Senior member

get a mac. if your school requires windows, don't go.

3. austinite

austinite Well-Known Member

+1 to the Dell Business Class recombination. I've never been impressed with Dell in the past, but my office recently grabbed one of the business class notebooks and I am quite happy with it. There is clearly a major quality difference between the consumer grade and business grade. My other positive notebook experiences were with Thinkpads.

4. austinite

austinite Well-Known Member

get a mac. if your school requires windows, don't go.

Do you have a real job?

I'm actually a Linux desktop user at home, so by no means am I a Windows lover, but I can't see how you can do normal business with anything else.

I still don't understand why anyone would pay the ridiculous price that Apple PCs sell for. Windows isn't the best, but you get guaranteed comparability. Linux may or may not fit all your needs, but it's extremely powerful and is 100% free. Mac on the other hand is the most expensive and least versatile.

5. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

One thing I'd note is that in my MBA program so far, all of my classes have banned laptops in the classroom.

As others have said, the Dell business class laptops are far superior to their consumer class.

6. johnaus

johnaus Member

I am somewhat of a laptop 'power user'. At the moment I have a Dell E5510 (latitude series), Macbook pro i7 & a thinkpad X220. The Thinkpad and MBP are both less then 6 months old, the Dell is probably 12 months old. I wake up at 6:30am, check my email, shower, go to work and use my laptop for another 8-10 hours. I get home and I surf the net, read or watch TV from my laptop.. So I get a fair bit of usage in.
    Additionally to this, I work in IT and manage a fleet of 1,200+ PC's & laptops.

My honest opinion as a mac fanboy / IBM zealot.. Buy the dell. The build quality on the MBP is better, but it is overpriced.. The thinkpad is well priced but the build quality is lacking these days & the warranty options aren't reasonable.

The dells stand up okay to punishment I'm on a laptop all day every day, I've dropped mine countless times in airports, thrown it into the back of cabs, etc.. In fact I throw it (while in a bag) into my car every single morning, bounces fine. The dell warranties are fantastic too, doesn't really matter what you do to it (our guys stand on them, pour coffee in them, etc) and they have always fixed it.

TL;DR: Buy a Dell, it should cost you under $1,200 with good spec's and a 3 year complete cover warranty. That is a cost of $400 per year to not have to give a shit about your computer.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  7. javyn

javyn Senior member

Are you seriously advising someone going to BUSINESS SCHOOL to get a Mac?

johus, also keep in mind a refurb Dell has the exact same warranty as a new.

edit: Also note if you run Linux, avoid Nvidia Optimus tech

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Whatever you get, just put an ssd in it. That's my advice.

9. javyn

javyn Senior member

Are SSDs actually worth it now? Are we getting full SATA 6 speeds yet?

10. hc414

hc414 Senior member

I worked in consulting and fell in love with my Thinkpad to the point where I made them my brand of choice for personal laptops, but my experience is the quality has plummeted since Lenovo bought the business from IBM. I'm using a Dell latitude 4300 at work now and I'm pretty happy with its performance.

11. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

The thinkpad vs. business class Dell debate is a very valid one. Personally, I like thinkpads more, but I am also probably a little bias. They are both excellent computers, however, Dell doesn't really have anything that can compete effectively with the Thinkpad X220, my thinkpad of choice.

As for the SSD debate. Yes, they are fast, if you are using a laptop with a "sandy bridge" level processor in it, it should support full SATA 6gb/s.

I still recommend Intel SSDs. Yes, they are a little slower then the competition, but they have much lower failure rated too. I wouldn't touch another OCZ drive even if it was free :\

12. javyn

javyn Senior member

Interesting. Well, I have a core-i5, pre-sandy. So I'll wait I guess. Also, don't let that sour you to OCZ in general. I don't know how all their products perform, but I extremely happy with my OCZ modular power supply.

13. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Its worth it even if it doesn't reach sata-3 speeds, 6Mb. Some do reach these speeds, not sure if those are even in market Current market controllers do hit the 500mb/s and i believe these can be found in market.

Honestly the difference is substantial from traditional hdds to ssds. Why waste money on upgrading your processor from i3-i7 (unless you are doing heavy video editing etc..) or upgrade an existing line of i3 to .3Ghz more for 50-70 bucks, when instead you can put that money into the ssd and get some real performance upgrade for more of everything..

I put one in my desktop PC and my mac. Everything is much quicker in terms of usage. I don't wait for the computer to shut down, I don't have to wait for programs to open on my computers. It just makes sense, in the past 10 years the biggest substantial improvement in HDDs has been storage space and ability to maintain moderate speeds as the drives were given more space. SSDs are the next step in storage in the evolution of the computer, traditional HDDs are pretty much nearing their limits in terms of speed, Sata-3 wont save it either, but rather once fully implemented and in the market will only retain the gap we see right now between hdds and ssds.

14. johnaus

johnaus Member

Mate what are you talking about? He doesn't need an i7 or an SSD. Have you been to Bschool? he needs something basic and reliable, an i3/i5 with a 5400rpm or 7600rpm HDD will run word, excel & an internet browser just fine.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

Not to mention, if you yank out your HDD and replace with SSD, your storage capacity is going to be MUCH smaller. Not a problem if you have a desktop, but if the laptop is meant as a desktop replacement, you may be kicking yourself.

16. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

Saturdays is right however in pointing out that adding an SSD is by far the move noticeable upgrade you can do. A good 120gig SSD should cost you roughly $220 right now. In my opinion, that's worth it.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't actually need that much local storage. I have all my data either in the cloud, or on a home NAS box.

Should you be worried about using an SSD on Sata 2 3gb/s? No, go for it! They will still blow away a traditional mechanical hard drive.

Johnaus has a point, they are probably overkill, but I try and convince most people I know buying computers to set aside ~$200 of their budget for an SSD. I guarantee you won't regret it.

17. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

i dunno if you read but that was my point, i disclaimed the need for an i7, unless someone was doing heavy video editing or something that required processing. I never said the OP needed it. I was simply mentioning that a lot of people opt for the i5/i7 processor for no reason, and make no use of it. But EVERYONE will see the benefits of an SSD and that is why the OP should consider that as an option on his laptop.

Again my advice don't upgrade past i3, no need. If its in the budget get an ssd, its the most noticeable performance upgrade.

18. javyn

javyn Senior member

True that, I have an i5 and honestly, had I to do it over again, I would have saved some money and gotten the i3. Also, I would have opted for a 14" standard screen lappy over a 15.6 widescreen.

If this is a laptop to be used for business, I can't recommend a standard screen over a widescreen enough.

19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

If you get an x220 you can put a ssd and a hdd in. The ssd will be previous gen speeds but still blazing fast

Also new gen ssds do better with sata3 computers than SATA2. not by leaps and bounds but still noticeably

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  20. javyn

javyn Senior member

Would that kill battery life? Replacing the HDD with an SSD, then yanking the optical DVD drive and putting the HDD there seems an interesting option...