• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapses in being a gentleman

davidj19

Reaction score
I feel that I live my life as a gentlemen, however; Saturday night I had a bit of a lapse. Too make a long story short My roommate and I threw a party and I invited a friend of some girls that were coming because they told she thought I was pretty cute. I thought this would be a good chance to meet her. However I don't even remember talking to her because I ended up being so plastered. Apparently I kept pushing people away so I could talk to her alone and we went on a walk together or something. The biggest problem is I have no idea what I said to her.

I couldn't have done anything too stupid because her and a friend stayed long after everyone else left and my roommate finally asked them to leave because he was going to pass out. I don't know why they stayed so long, I was downstairs puking for an hour.

Anyway too make a long story I feel so stupid and embarrassed, I didn't have her phone number so all I could do was send her facebook message and apologize if I made her feel uncomfortable or said anything inappropriate. I probably have ruined any chance of getting to know her. Live and learn I guess is the moral of the story.

What lapses in being a gentleman have you had?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reading this.
And replying, now that I think about it.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by davidj19
I feel that I live my life as a gentlemen, however; Saturday night I had a bit of a lapse. Too make a long story short My roommate and I threw a party and I invited a friend of some girls that were coming because they told she thought I was pretty cute. I thought this would be a good chance to meet her. However I don't even remember talking to her because I ended up being so plastered. Apparently I kept pushing people away so I could talk to her alone and we went on a walk together or something. The biggest problem is I have no idea what I said to her.

I couldn't have done anything too stupid because her and a friend stayed long after everyone else left and my roommate finally asked them to leave because he was going to pass out. I don't know why they stayed so long, I was downstairs puking for an hour.

Anyway too make a long story I feel so stupid and embarrassed, I didn't have her phone number so all I could do was send her facebook message and apologize if I made her feel uncomfortable or said anything inappropriate. I probably have ruined any chance of getting to know her. Live and learn I guess is the moral of the story.

What lapses in being a gentleman have you had?

Why didn't you use the opportunity to get her number from the girls who came to your party? Then you giver her a call and apologize for being a drunken fool during your party. Then (if you're interested) you use the chance to start from scratch by taking her out for a bite to eat or a few drinks.

The facebook message wasn't so bad but not as gentlemanly.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Facebook msg is fine. Similar situs have happened to me before. You are still in the game - nothing is lost. Take her out for a meal after this and be charming - and you are in. The meal is a great excuse for meeting up one on one, and you are doing it to "make it up to her" since you were so drunk at the party. Remember, she was also likely drunk and if she stayed that long she probably liked you. Good luck and keep trying with this one.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Facebook msg is fine. Similar situs have happened to me before. You are still in the game - nothing is lost. Take her out for a meal after this and be charming - and you are in. The meal is a great excuse for meeting up one on one, and you are doing it to "make it up to her" since you were so drunk at the party. Remember, she was also likely drunk and if she stayed that long she probably liked you. Good luck and keep trying with this one.

+1

To me, this is game. She knows how extreme you can be, now show her your mature, charming, intelligent side.

smoothie

Reaction score
You fucked up with the facebook msg. If she stayed there is no reason to apologize.

Shoulda sent a facebook msg

"did u have a good time the other day? i sure as hell did, and u there made it even better. we def have to hang out again sometime soon! Make sure u look cute again too"

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smoothie
"did u have a good time the other day? i sure as hell did, and u there made it even better. we def have to hang out again sometime soon! Make sure u look cute again too"

I feel dumber for having read this.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You fucked up with the facebook msg. If she stayed there is no reason to apologize.

He didn't **** up. It's not ideal, but it works fine. Trust me, this exact situation has happened to me before, and it's not the worst thing to be slightly apologetic. He'll still get laid.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eh.gif

frown.gif

davidj19

Reaction score
So I bumped into one of the friends that I knew last night and I asked how badly I embarrassed myself and she said I didn't embarrass myself too badly. Apparently I just kept asking her friend the same questions over and over again and then disappeared to bathroom to vomit the rest of the evening. She knew I was pretty drunk and was probably just amused by me. She also said that her friend thought my apology was sweet. So I guess it could have been worse. So I asked the friend to casually feel her out to see if I have completely turned her off or not. My game plan is stop by her place with a nice, simple but not too fancy bouquet of flowers then perhaps see if she would like to go for dinner sometime? I have this fusiony kinda upperscale pizza place in mind(its a nice but since they just serve gourmet pizza it keeps it kind of casual). Are the flowers too much? I don't think I've ever met a girl who didn't like flowers.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The flowers are too much. Just call her and ask her our already.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah hold off on the flowers. Or maybe just get her one

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why did I read this.

Nooooo flowers. I don't know what your idea of "being gentlemanly" is but it sounds like you may be trying hard (when not vomiting-level-drunk). Don't be laying your coat on any puddles or rushing around to open doors awkwardly. Hopefully you can relax and try to just have a good time with this girl. And don't drink much this time, if at all.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flower are a no-go. Call her, laugh about something you do remember from the party, and ask her out for a coffee or beer. Keep the date short. Be natural. See where it goes. Don't push it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads