Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lapo Elkann's royal blue dinner suit & slippers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DandySF, May 6, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Breaking convention is fine, but what does that have to do with poor fit? What would have been lost from the style of his outfit if his sleeves and trousers were traditionally 'correct'?

2. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

3. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

Did you guys miss the part of "Costume Institute Ball" and not "Proper tux/dinner suit formal" ? Have you seen how others dress for this? The point is to break convention and be over the top. Thom Browne is too conservative for this ball. Also, while Lapo wears a lot of duds (and likes to engage in some tranny sausage from time to time), the guy has more inherent style in his pinky than all of us on this forum. He pulls stuff off that is truly awesome, and I am not one of those James Bond/celebrity fanboys, this guys is a thoroughbred when it comes to dressing, he can do business, proper formal, street, gay rock and roll, the whole nine yards. Plus the arm candy he pulls out typically out of this world (ex. trannies).

I agree....but, in this case, he fails.

4. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

I think it does exactly what its intended to do, draw attention! He just wan'ts everyone to look at him and say "theres Lapo". Guy is a marketing machine and is only worried about drawing attention to himself and his brands. Not saying its correct or something i would consider wearing but it certaintly does what its intended.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I think it does exactly what its intended to do, draw attention! He just wan'ts everyone to look at him and say "theres Lapo". Guy is a marketing machine and is only worried about drawing attention to himself and his brands. Not saying its correct or something i would consider wearing but it certaintly does what its intended.

This is Styleforum. We don't care what people intend. We care about what makes them look ugly.

6. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Breaking convention is fine, but what does that have to do with poor fit? What would have been lost from the style of his outfit if his sleeves and trousers were traditionally 'correct'?

Well, pics of someone at a party are obviously not best to use for fit judgments, especially given his proclivites, who knows what he just finished doing in that suit. But, assuming this is fresh from his house, the jacket is tight (his weight seems to differ significantly in pics that are posted of him), sleeves are too short (big shirt cuffs?), the pants just seem to be really wrinkled, hard to tell about fit. The slippers are what they are. The bigger point is that he probably did not want to so "traditionally correct" in the same way that Thom Browne does not do traditionally correct. We can argue until we are blue in the face about whether these guys would look better dressed more traditionally but I think their point is not too look like you or me, regardless of how prim and proper we are. Lapo is one of those guys that can do business dress/formal dress as well as anyone and have him compared to the old man and then wear some over the top $hit that would make Fuuma proud. Very few can do that. Honeslty, I'd rather wear what he is wearing, wrinkled and all, then to wear what that other guy is wearing.

7. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

This is Styleforum. We don't care what people intend. We care about what makes them look ugly.

Yeah, but while we are sitting around critiquing some guys clothing he is sailing around the south of France on his yacht blowing coke off some models boobs. I would certaintly rather be in his position, electric blue dinner suit and all.

8. ccffm1

ccffm1 Senior member

First FIAT wooing Chrysler, and now this. Agnelli must be turning over in his grave.

9. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

I'm sure he goes to so many similar events, making a single faux pas or wearing something distinctive for one night doesn't really matter at all to him. Nor should it to us for that matter.

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I'm sure he goes to so many similar events, making a single faux pas or wearing something distinctive for one night doesn't really matter at all to him. Nor should it to us for that matter.

What if we said SoCal had the same outfit and was posting it on the WAYWT thread in... the Men's Clothing forum...

11. I. Gentantithesis

I. Gentantithesis Senior member

ethernet thingy whatzit, Colney Hatch Spa
    One's perplexed as to why a mid '70s image-graveyard photo of some obscure Scandanavian foreign johnnie Byronic-wannabe-gigalo is of even minor import, no less worship and whoop-de-doo.?

12. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I don't care if Lapo is Jesus reborn: that dinner suit is god awful.

You of all people should know that Obama is Jesus reborn!

BTW: The dinner suit looks like shit and he should have helped out Thom Browne ( with a TB commission ) and looked like an American buffoon in our country.

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

You of all people should know that Obama is Jesus reborn!

BTW: The dinner suit looks like shit and should have helped out Thom Browne ( with a TB commission ) and looked like an American buffoon in our country.

rnold, you need a new nickname. I dub you SCROTUSF.

14. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

rnold, you need a new nickname. I dub you SCROTUSF.

Thanks, I guess.

What does SCROTUSF stand for?

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Thanks, I guess.

What does SCROTUSF stand for?

Supreme Commander of the United Style Forum.