1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lapel width alteration

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bch, Nov 14, 2004.

1. bch

bch Senior Member

I have a 3 button suit with 4" lapels. I generally wear a 42R or 43R, and I would prefer a 3.25 or 3.5" lapel. Is this a major alteration? Does it involve altering the collar, as well? What would you expect to pay to have this done?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

It will almost certainly involve altering the collar. I don't think it is all that difficult an alteration, however.  Labor intensive, and therefore expensive, but not so difficult.

The one thing you want to make sure of is that the visible edge stitching remains consistent with the edge stitching on the rest of the jacket.  So if the pocket and lapel edges have hand-picked stitching, you'll want to shop around for a tailor who can replicate that.

3. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

If the button hole in the left lapel is cut through (and almost all are), you cannot narrow the lapels.

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Ooooh, good point. But I have seen wide lapels where the buttonhole is so far from the edge that a little trim is possible. I have even known guys to have this done.