Lapel Width Advice

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by djs5150, Jul 7, 2016.

1. djs5150

djs5150 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, in my seemingly never ending journey of dressing better I have come to a point to where I would like to start buying more blazers and sport coats. I recently purchased a used J. Crew Ludlow blazer for cheap and I know that J. Crew doesn't get a lot of love here but I couldn't pass it up. I am trying to build a wardrobe based on timeless, classic style. It seems the consensus is that the 2.5" lapel width on the J. Crew's Ludlow is too slim and will look dated in a few years. HOWEVER, I wear a 36S and those 2.5" lapels don't appear so small on that size. What's yall's thoughts? Is 2.5" lapels on a 36S still too skinny or is it about right? I've read it's all about proportions and that you can't take lapel width size by itself if that makes sense.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth Senior member

6.4cm lapels certainly would be narrow, the problem is that most RTW have skinny lapels and so its pretty much become the norm now.

For a classic look and assuming you have a normal build then for a 36" chest I'd be thinking more around 9cm

3. bc78

bc78 Senior member

3 would be more timeless. This may be a dissenting opinion but I think 2.5 inch lapels will look ok on a 36S jacket.

4. djs5150

djs5150 Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking as well. When I measure across, half the distance is right at 3 inches.

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

3-3.5 is generally a classic width, with 3 on the narrow side. On a 36, 3 is probably good.