• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel Roll

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How important is it with regards to the overall look of a suit considering the suit fits perfectly?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it comes down to a bit of preference. Some people like lapels that are fairly flat. I think a roll is very elegant looking and creates a more three dimentional shape the the front of a suit.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think a roll is very elegant looking and creates a more three dimentional shape the the front of a suit.
+1. I like and must have a nice roll.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who feels that the Italian stuff has more roll than English stuff ?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No. But I think it possibly has something to do with the generally higher gorge on Italian jackets. Gives it a longer roll line.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think a nice lapel roll is tantamount to a high quality suit, as when I [rarely] see it I think, high quality. Similar to when I see a man in a suit that fits impeccably, and whence raising his arm to summon a taxi, the suit barely moves.

All of my suits have this type of fabulous roll. I imagine those who recognize it either sees something good they can't quite explain or recognize the real.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem with lapel roll is that it over a period of time it eventually gets flattened out. Usually, caused in the wardrobe.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This shouldn't be a problem lest you store your suits like gdl all bunched together. Ahem.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NORE
This shouldn't be a problem lest you store your suits like gdl all bunched together. Ahem.
Unfortunately I do. Still, over a period of time they'll flatten IMO. This doesn't bother me. Clothes are for wearing.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IME, you can have an extremely high quality suit with an understated roll and a cheap fused POS with a spectacular roll. That is, it's by no means a sign of quailty or craftmanship, simply a preference (or the tailor's house style) and a sign of skilled pressing.

I go back and forth on the subject (as my "which do you prefer?" thread highlighted). I feel that superlative roll like this below is a bit showy and not very conservative business dress, while a more understated roll is more... well... understated.

IMG00762-20101208-1415.jpg

I guess my preference varies with the coat itself and with the occasion - I think I'm happier with big rolls on sport coats than on suits.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
IME, you can have an extremely high quality suit with an understated roll and a cheap fused POS with a spectacular roll. That is, it's by no means a sign of quailty or craftmanship, simply a preference (or the tailor's house style) and a sign of skilled pressing. I go back and forth on the subject (as my "which do you prefer?" thread highlighted). I feel that superlative roll like this below is a bit showy and not very conservative business dress, while a more understated roll is more... well... understated.
IMG00762-20101208-1415.jpg
I guess my preference varies with the coat itself and with the occasion - I think I'm happier with big rolls on sport coats than on suits.

Roll is awesome as well as teh jacket & tie. Hoped to bring you out by my comment earlier. Thanks for this. Now then, do you think a crapshoot suit with a gorgeous roll should be avoided

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JDixon
^ both jacket and tie are awesome

Shirt as well, although could do with some more tie space.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just watched Metropolis. Behold this epic lapel roll.

EELredux

Reaction score
Regarding the roll, I've been obsessing over the difference in a couple of my suits. They are one button and on one, the lapel rolls to about an inch above the button; on the other, the lapel rolls to the button. Is there a margin for error? Or is this even an error, rather than just an inconsistency?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads