• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel roll: flat vs. belly for 2-button suit

sfaith

Reaction score
Folks,

On a 2-button suit, what would you prefer for the lapels? Lapels with belly or pressed completely flat against the chest?

Originally Posted by Manton
I disagree with J, a little. Â "Roll" is usually used to refer to the length of a lapel. Â Remember that a lapel is simply part of the front of a coat, turned back and as it were "doubled up" over the chest. Â But the whole front is not turned back, only the top part. Â That top part is the lapel. Â It begins at the collar, and extends down to the middle of the coat. Â It is said to be "rolled" to wherever it ends. Â Thus on a standard two-button suit, the lapels are rolled to the top or waist button. Â On a barbarshop quartet-style 3-button suit, they are rolled higher, above the third button.

The phenomenon J describes -- a graceful flare away from the body that curves gently back toward the chest of the coat at the lapel's edge, resulting in a kind of bulbousness and spring -- is more properly termed "belly". Â Lapels with no belly at all, that are pressed completely flat against the chest, are easy to make, but unattractive, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by j
Very simply put, it's the transition between the top of the lapel which is flat against the top of your chest and the lower part which is buttoned up over your stomach. Some jackets have no roll, i.e. a flat smushed crease at the bottom of the lapel front, whereas some have a long roll, transitioning from flat to perpendicular to flat again.

I am contemplating to tailor my second suit, probably ash gray color. I already have a charcoal color suit, and although I requested for a nice "roll" for the lapel, it's more or less pressed flat. Maybe I didn't request it properly or my tailor thought it's alright. What do you suggest I request to the tailor?

Gshen, if you read this thread, please chime in! I am in Singapore and tempted to try Iris. My current tailor is Anthony at Mode et Creation.

-- sfaith

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you are conflating roll and belly. Belly is the shape of the outer edges of the lapel. They can either be straight or curved. A convex curve is "belly". Roll is the length of the lapel as well as how much it protrudes from the chest. A flat lapel means the roll is flat. You could conceivably have a flat lapel cut with some belly.

At least, that's how I understand it.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The OP has to win some sort of necrothread award.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm very confused. I thought "belly" referred to the curvature of the lapel's outer line. No?

sfaith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
The OP has to win some sort of necrothread award.

Yaaaa... I know I am gonna be famous for that!
biggrin.gif

I did a few searches here, but can't help popping the question myself! Sorry if this contributed to thread pollution ^^

sfaith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I'm very confused. I thought "belly" referred to the curvature of the lapel's outer line. No?

J's and Manton's explanations of what a "belly" is doesn't seem to be talking about that. I might be having wrong interpretation though.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Yes. That's what I thought, too.

"Roll" (if that's even the right tailoring term) is what the OP is looking for.

sfaith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
I think you are conflating roll and belly. Belly is the shape of the outer edges of the lapel. They can either be straight or curved. A convex curve is "belly". Roll is the length of the lapel as well as how much it protrudes from the chest. A flat lapel means the roll is flat. You could conceivably have a flat lapel cut with some belly.

At least, that's how I understand it.

I must admit that I am confused between that two actually. I am just thinking how I should request to my tailor for that!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfaith
J's and Manton's explanations of what a "belly" is doesn't seem to be talking about that. I might be having wrong interpretation though.

That's what I mean. Both descriptions sound nothing like what I've heard before.

sfaith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Yes. That's what I thought, too.

"Roll" (if that's even the right tailoring term) is what the OP is looking for.

I am also not sure if this is right tailoring term. Some sites use "belly" and some refers to it as "roll".

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sfaith
I must admit that I am confused between that two actually. I am just thinking how I should request to my tailor for that!

"Roll" refers to how the lapels may roll away from the buttoning point. No roll means the lapels look like they've been folded and pressed flat.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both flat and rolled lapels on my different jackets. I prefer the look of a flat lapel from a side angle, but I like the way the roll looks from the front.

sfaith

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
I have both flat and rolled lapels on my different jackets. I prefer the look of a flat lapel from a side angle, but I like the way the roll looks from the front.

For some reason, I am digging the look of rolled lapels. They look better in terms of aesthetics, at least for me
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics