Lapel pins

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by globetrotter, Oct 9, 2004.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

any feeling on lapel pins? they seem to have made a huge comeback since 9/11.

2. stache

stache Senior member

I have some mid century bowling award lapel pins that I found in a thrift shop years ago. They jazz up some of my plain sportcoats [​IMG] Plus I now quite often make a point of wearing a U.S.flag pin when I am out of the country.

3. Trilby

Trilby Senior member

Yes for politicians and Secret Service agents. No for everyone else.

Trilby

4. SFclassic

SFclassic Member

Maybe on occasion.  Say you attend the meeting of some organization of which you are a member and have a pin denoting some honor it has given you, then I think it's appropriate.  Maybe it's just me, but I think it's calling attention to yourself.

5. jasonpraxis

jasonpraxis Well-Known Member

I own a few lapel pins, from schools I've attended or organizations I've done business with. I wear them occasionally, sometimes matching the pin to the event or meeting, sometimes not (a school pin to a school function is boring, an Amnesty International pin to a school function is interesting). The most thought I give the matter is to wear pins received as gifts when meeting with the gift giver himself. It's a small showing of respect, courtesy, and gratitude.

6. kidkim2

kidkim2 Senior member

Used to wear a bulldog pin (see 'quirky clothes' thread)--a few years ago, just about the time your grandparents were born. Fun conversation piece in the days of boy-meets-girl-amid-the-ferns. Hope they make a comeback.

"And what's your sign?"

7. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

That's immediately what I thought...they're for politicians.

For everybody else, how about boutonnieres? That's what I'm working toward, starting (slowly) with my own lapel.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

They are rather kitschy in that 60's member of a lodge type way.

Although most of the time they are something I'd rather not wear.

9. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

I like lapel pins and have quite a collection. Of course, being involved in conservative politics makes it fairly easy to wear them. Among my collection, I have, of course, the American Flag pin that is now practically a requirement for political events; a Republican Elephant pin for partisan events; a Promise Keepers pin for conservative religious events; an Arizona Flag pin for state events; and a pin depicting tiny baby feet for pro-life events. I have numerous pins from different political campaigns in which I have been involved over the past 20 years, including Sen. John McCain, Congressman Jim Kolbe, and many other candidates who didn't win and of whom you've never heard. I also have some from organizations for which I have worked or been involved, such as the Muscular Dystrophy Association, the Red Cross, the Active 20/30 Club, and the Children's Miracle Network Telethon. Then I have the random ones that I've accumulated along the way, like my Bud Bowl III lapel pin and my Johnny Walker walking man pin - unfortunately those don't get worn too often. I'm sometimes tempted to become one of those guys who puts all my lapel pins on a vest or a cowboy hat and wears it to political conventions and other activities and then I stop myself by reading the StyleForum and reminding myself that I have more taste than that. Â [​IMG] Bradford