1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Lapel Hole?Price?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kingxxxman, May 19, 2012.

1. kingxxxman

kingxxxman Well-Known Member

I bought a tux from JAB with no lapel hole. I am going to prom and i need a hole to place the boutonniere. How much does it cost to sew one in(average price would be good...just don't want to get ripped off); i plan on going to the tailor at JAB. And is there any requirement that i should know about for the lapel hole?

2. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

They won't be able to do a good job at Jos a bank. You need to find a skilled tailor that can hand sew a button hole. My tailor charges 10 bucks for hand sewn button holes and would most likely charge more for a lapel w/ silk facing but he's cheap.

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

My tailor charges $20.

4. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Ideally it should be a straight button-hole, not the key-hole shape used for functioning button-holes. It should also have a small loop of thread placed beneath it on the rear of the lapel, through which you place the stem of the boutonnière.

I commend you for trying to do things properly; there aren't many worse sights than a boutonnière that has just been pinned to the lapel because of the lack of functional button-hole.

5. kingxxxman

Does anyone have pictures of where a peak lapel tuxedo jacket's lapel hole is located? I went to 5 tailors and they all had different locations and most told me not to damage the lapel and instead pin it in my pocket. Is this a viable option?

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

You really should not create such a hole - evening dress is normally without.

7. kingxxxman

gbr if this is so, would putting the bouttenire in the pocket be alright?

8. apropos

apropos Senior member

:facepalm:

9. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Yeah, not sure what gave GBR that idea, a boutonniere is perfectly correct with evening wear.

Putting it in the pocket is certainly not acceptable, that is where your pocket-square goes, and I would probably avoid the services of any tailors who told you to do such a thing.

10. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

It can be rare to find an off the rack single breasted peak lapel tux with such a boutonniere
    button hole, although you can certainly ask for one on MTM or bespoke. I've been to many weddings
    where the flower is just pinned to the lapel however uncouth (or not) that may be.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  11. kingxxxman

do you have a picture of a suitable hole on a peak lapel jacket that I could show a tailor?

12. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

13. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I can never get the butoniere to fit through the hole nicely without causing some weird rippling in the lapel. I don't really care for it.

14. kingxxxman

I think i'll just put it through the hole that a safety pin creates when attached to the lapel.