• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lapel flower (boutonniere)

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have recently been buying flowers for my apartment, so as a consequence I now have a steady supply of flowers for my lapel. If I don't, I'll pick one out from the apartment complex grounds. I endeavor to always wear a lapel flower"”decades ago, I believe this was the norm. Here are some recent examples: I know very little about botany. If you know what flowers these are, please chime in.

VelvetGreen

Reaction score
Get a carnation - red or white. Carnations are BAD ASS.

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score
The first flower looks like some verity of daisy or mum (chrysanthemum). The second flower is definitely an orchid.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+2 for mini-carnations. Buy your wife/SO a mixed bouqet containing some: "aww, honey you're so sweet". Next day: "Hey, are you wearing one of my flowers
censored.gif
"

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carnations are just awful... hate them... faux flowers.
devil.gif
peepwall[1].gif

Despite what Will says...
That first one, Kent is probably a type of Osteospermum. It's an import/hybrid daisy.

I agree that the lily doesn't work- that's more of a mother-in-lay flower/corsage sort of thing.

If you have a flower pot or garden corner... grow a pot of Bachelor Buttons. They cut well, are very small, good for a lapel. Grow like a weed so you'll always have something when the mood strikes. Many colors.

BluePurpleBachelorButtons.jpg

Neo is one of the few here I have ever seen wear a lapel vase, I've worn one a few times, an antique of my wife's... allows you to try more fragile stems like gardenia...

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
mother-in-lay

Holy Freudian slip, Batman!
devil.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Carnations are just awful... hate them... faux flowers.
devil.gif
peepwall[1].gif

Despite what Will says...
That first one, Kent is probably a type of Osteospermum. It's an import/hybrid daisy.

I agree that the lily doesn't work- that's more of a mother-in-lay flower/corsage sort of thing.

If you have a flower pot or garden corner... grow a pot of Bachelor Buttons. They cut well, are very small, good for a lapel. Grow like a weed so you'll always have something when the mood strikes. Many colors.

BluePurpleBachelorButtons.jpg

Neo is one of the few here I have ever seen wear a lapel vase, I've worn one a few times, an antique of my wife's... allows you to try more fragile stems like gardenia...

I this the same as a blue cornflower? I love those but almost never see them.

I have a black tie event tomorrow and will wear a red carnation with my DJ (as ever).

Mr. Claymore

Reaction score

I am not sure why I care enough to correct anyone; but the second flower is definitely a white orchid.

white-dendrobium-orchid.jpg

I do not, however, think it necessarily works with this outfit. Maybe it would if you used a smaller bloom or paired it with a more formal look. Orchids are nice to use because the floors are hardy and usually last all day.

Back a few years ago when I use to wear a boutonnière almost daily, I had a jeweler make a holder up for me. It was quite nice and not that expensive at the time. ...I wonder what I have done with it...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wish I had the balls to regularly wear a boutonniere. I really like them but I think it might be a step too far for the office. I'll sometimes wear a common daisy or fleabane with a linen blazer casually.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tried it about two weeks ago. It lasted about 5 minutes. Not the look that I am personally trying to convey. I do appreciate it when I see others do it nicely, however.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads