Lapel flower (boutonniere)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kent Wang, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have recently been buying flowers for my apartment, so as a consequence I now have a steady supply of flowers for my lapel. If I don't, I'll pick one out from the apartment complex grounds. I endeavor to always wear a lapel flower"”decades ago, I believe this was the norm. Here are some recent examples: [​IMG] [​IMG] I know very little about botany. If you know what flowers these are, please chime in.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am sure Oldog has something to say about this.

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I think the bottom is a lily, I would wear the top one, the lily does not look right to me (a carnation looks good too). Also, I equate flowers with spring/summer, so would wear it with your second outfit, bo not with the first.

4. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

Get a carnation - red or white. Carnations are BAD ASS.

5. Mr. Claymore

Mr. Claymore Senior member

The first flower looks like some verity of daisy or mum (chrysanthemum). The second flower is definitely an orchid.

6. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

+2 for mini-carnations. Buy your wife/SO a mixed bouqet containing some: "aww, honey you're so sweet". Next day: "Hey, are you wearing one of my flowers [​IMG] "

7. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Carnations are just awful... hate them... faux flowers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Despite what Will says...
    That first one, Kent is probably a type of Osteospermum. It's an import/hybrid daisy.

I agree that the lily doesn't work- that's more of a mother-in-lay flower/corsage sort of thing.

If you have a flower pot or garden corner... grow a pot of Bachelor Buttons. They cut well, are very small, good for a lapel. Grow like a weed so you'll always have something when the mood strikes. Many colors.

[​IMG]

Neo is one of the few here I have ever seen wear a lapel vase, I've worn one a few times, an antique of my wife's... allows you to try more fragile stems like gardenia...

8. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

mother-in-lay

Holy Freudian slip, Batman! [​IMG]

9. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

ugh people really do this?

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Carnations are just awful... hate them... faux flowers. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Despite what Will says...
    That first one, Kent is probably a type of Osteospermum. It's an import/hybrid daisy.

I agree that the lily doesn't work- that's more of a mother-in-lay flower/corsage sort of thing.

If you have a flower pot or garden corner... grow a pot of Bachelor Buttons. They cut well, are very small, good for a lapel. Grow like a weed so you'll always have something when the mood strikes. Many colors.

[​IMG]

Neo is one of the few here I have ever seen wear a lapel vase, I've worn one a few times, an antique of my wife's... allows you to try more fragile stems like gardenia...

I this the same as a blue cornflower? I love those but almost never see them.

I have a black tie event tomorrow and will wear a red carnation with my DJ (as ever).

11. Mr. Claymore

Mr. Claymore Senior member

I am not sure why I care enough to correct anyone; but the second flower is definitely a white orchid.

[​IMG]

I do not, however, think it necessarily works with this outfit. Maybe it would if you used a smaller bloom or paired it with a more formal look. Orchids are nice to use because the floors are hardy and usually last all day.

Back a few years ago when I use to wear a boutonnière almost daily, I had a jeweler make a holder up for me. It was quite nice and not that expensive at the time. ...I wonder what I have done with it...

12. srivats

srivats Senior member

I this the same as a blue cornflower? I love those but almost never see them.
    They are ... these are my favourite kind of flowers to wear. Weather is good for them in FL (good sun, daily water). They flower from mid-june to mid-september. I have them in my garden.

13. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I wish I had the balls to regularly wear a boutonniere. I really like them but I think it might be a step too far for the office. I'll sometimes wear a common daisy or fleabane with a linen blazer casually.

14. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

Too dandyish for me.

Weddings and funerals only.

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I tried it about two weeks ago. It lasted about 5 minutes. Not the look that I am personally trying to convey. I do appreciate it when I see others do it nicely, however.