• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the issue of gapping lapels discussed before, but they have not resulted in conclusions.

I have noticed that the lapels on many of my (otherwise fine-fitting) suits do not stay glued to my chest as much as I would like. There is always a bit of space between the inside edge of the lapel and my chest when the coat is buttoned.

The issue seems to be a bit worse with the left lapel b/c it overlaps the right, and b/c I fold my PS into a voluminous puff.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a bit of a barrel chest, but am otherwise of average build.

A) What causes this?
2) Is this normal?
d) If it is not normal, how easy is it to fix?

Thanks for your insights.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is not "normal" per se. It is normal to see it all the time because it is a typical issue. It is just something that a good tailor can avoid when making a suit. It can have many issues such as the chest of your suit being too tight, too much waist, armholes being too low, the roll line from the buttoning point to the shoulder seam being too long, or all of the above.

I am not sure how to fix it on a RTW suit, but if you post pictures maybe Despos could say something about it.

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this problem as well.
I believe it's due to my shoulders, which are essentially straight across with no slope.
The only solution I have found is wearing jackets that have no structure or shoulder pads. These fit me best and avoid the problem you are describing.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This is true as well overly sloped, or too square shoulders can produces different kinds of gapes.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suits in question are MTM, and the fellow that measured is very experienced. All aspects of the shoulders' cut seem correct to me, barring this (if the shoulder is indeed the problem).

The problem is just bad enough to notice. I always assumed it had to do with my protruding chest.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you have a full chest tailors usually will introduce the lapel dart. You likely have a jacket that is cut too "crooked" and not "straight". This means that the shoulders are cut further from the center which is producing the gap.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
If you have a full chest tailors usually will introduce the lapel dart. You likely have a jacket that is cut too "crooked" and not "straight". This means that the shoulders are cut further from the center which is producing the gap.

Are talking about the shoulder seam, such as with A&S coats? I'm not entirely sure I understand.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm guessing your A&S reference is to the 3" back neck?

Depending on your shoulder and the positioning of the seam, the shoulder that is cut crooked is pointed further back from the center of the shoulder. It makes the chest look really clean, however for whatever reason, probably the bias of the fabric, or the drape over the shoulder it pulls a slight gap in the lapel. The dart under the collar is to shorten the roll line to pull the gap flat.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I'm guessing your A&S reference is to the 3" back neck?

I don't think this is the issue. I was under the impression the short neck was to keep the collar pressed against the back of the neck. I don't have any problem with this at all.
Depending on your shoulder and the positioning of the seam, the shoulder that is cut crooked is pointed further back from the center of the shoulder. It makes the chest look really clean, however for whatever reason, probably the bias of the fabric, or the drape over the shoulder it pulls a slight gap in the lapel. The dart under the collar is to shorten the roll line to pull the gap flat.

This may be the issue.

Did a quick search and these photos may help a bit.

In this picture of Trini you can see that the inner edge of the lapel near his pocket square doesn't snap against his chest. Trini's may be a result of the awkward stance or pocket-in-hand, but the effect is the same thing I'm getting.

In this pic of Spoo you can see the same thing on his left (our right). The lapel is standing away from his body.

Does this make more sense?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I stand by what I have been saying, this is either that the chest is a bit too snug and/or his suit is a bit too "straight" for his shoulder point and chest. He has a prominent chest, this produces that gap. A dart across the roll line is a fix for this.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of my jackets gap with the smallest of movements like putting my hands into my pants pockets. I've accepted that as, "you need to lose like at least 10lbs, fat*ss"

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
+1
5086.gif

Calling a tailor or Despos - please weigh in on this!

dasai

Reaction score
My jackets are fairly fitted, and I notice that if I put things into my inside breast pockets, the lapels bow out a bit. I have to imagine that it's caused by the extra bulk not accounted for by the tailor, though it's less severe in my blazer, which is half-canvassed, than my suit, which is fused.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did some experimenting after work tonight and it seems that my PS is a significant contributor to this problem. In fact, I remember reading that some tailors such as Frank Shatuk (sp?) cut the canvas behind the breast pocket to alleviate adverse effects brought on by a bulky PS. Anyone else experience this? I guess I need to find an alternative fold for my PS or look into getting the canvasses in my coats altered - likely expensive if at all possible...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads