Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Lapel Button Hole - Cross Stitching in X Pattern Across - Keep it?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by dreamacast, Sep 15, 2016.

1. dreamacast

dreamacast New Member

I have searched and searched and have yet to see anything similiar!

Was the designer's idea behind this stitched shut (via an x cross pattern over it) lapel button hole (boutonniere) to be left as is? It is a Thomas Pink Wool Blazer with pink stitching on one of the cuff button holes. This "x" stitching across the lapel button is also pink.

I do like the cross stitching done over this lapel button hole, but am wondering if the design behind it was to allow someone the choice to keep it. While I have seen many sewn shut, I've never seen a lapel button like this. Thoughts?

Keep it? Take it out? Agree that some (less conservative) would choose to keep it in?

[​IMG]

2. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

Don't be absurd. Remove it as you would any basting stitch. [​IMG]

3. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

Pretty sure he doesn't know that it's basting stitching.

@dreamacast , it is not there to stay. It's supposed to be removed.

4. dreamacast

dreamacast New Member

Thanks for replying. That was the specific concern... remove it as I would any other? Clearly the stitching on the vents and shoulders I removed, but had never seen such baste stitching on a lapel button. Not familiar with the sewing process, I wondered why a sewn shut buttonhole would have this stitching. I didn't realize (which I assume) is true that perhaps it's for the purpose of sewing the button shut? Still not sure of that.

Regardless, I wondered if the designer (for right or wrong) intended the stitching in this case to remain as a statement of sorts. Further the fact that all other tacking was a different color thread, except this, which was a pink (coordinating with the single sleeve button hole contrast stitching).

Thanks again.

5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

It's possibly/probably a functional buttonhole. That being said, much of this stuff except at the top-end is purely marketing affectation to differentiate it visually from the sea of other jackets on a store shelf. I'd say that's probably the case here.

In general, though, lots of brands use basting in their own colors; Isaia for example has its bright red basting, Hickey Freeman uses gold/yellow, etc.

In any case, to echo what others have said... definitely remove it as you would a brand tag/label stitched onto the sleeve.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

6. dreamacast

dreamacast New Member

Thank you. That is a great explanation and makes sense. Particularly it certainly caught my attention walking by the jacket (albeit, I too have been a fan of Pink shirts in the past). Thank you again for your kind reply.

7. smittycl

smittycl Distinguished Member

Sorry if I pounced on initial reply. [​IMG]