• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Language: You Know Them, People Want To Learn Them

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
A couple of years back I was in Connemara taking in the scenery. Stopped at one of the very few stores/gas stations there and the people there only spoke Gaelic, so I presume it is spoken as a primary language there among natives...I can imagine that being a hike for you though...Good luck with that.

Gan dabht bhi'odar ag fucka'il around leat.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
English - native
Mandarin - native
Spanish - basic/intermediate
French - beginning

kwiteaboy

Reaction score
English - native
Norwegian - intermediate
French - intermediate

trogdor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by letmebefell
Gan dabht bhi'odar ag fucka'il around leat.

That's proper Connacht Irish!

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trogdor
I suspect that they may have been teasing you a bit -- there are no monolingual Irish speakers left, so these lads probably did know English even if they pretended not to!

The Connemara Gaeltacht is (I think) the biggest, and owing to its proximity to Galway city, it has a higher proportion of young/cool Irish speakers (for example, on the Irish language TV station TG4, they all speak in Connacht Irish -- South Park has even been dubbed into Irish).

Then again, we've got a fair few down here in Munster -- especially in Kerry and on the Dingle (An Daingean) peninsula. Although, even the name of the town is controversial -- see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingle

No they werent playing for sure. They were both in their 40s-50s and when I walked in I remember the clerk and another customer having a conversation in the Gaelic and it continued as I walked through the shop. When I asked the clerk a question the clerk had no idea what I was saying and I had to get my mother to translate.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I note that several people here and listed Latin and (presumably ancient) Greek. Since the OP mentioned speaking fluency, I wonder how many people are out there who can actually converse fluently in Latin and ancient Greek. I studied those languages for many years but can't claim any fluency in speaking them.

slipperywhenwet

Reaction score
English - Native speaker.
Mandarin - I was nearly fluent when I finished studying, but I've lost a lot. Now I would say I have a conversational level.
Korean - Beginner. I can get by, but not hold conversations.

I've never felt that Korean was a beautiful language. I adore Mandarin though, I also find that it's very singy-songy (is that a word?). I found that I like Japanese quite a bit, so I will begin learning it in the fall.

Half Honky

Reaction score
English - native
Polish - knew it as a kid, forgot it since there's not much use for it outside Poland
Tagalog/Illongo - Anyone worth talking to also knows English
teacha.gif

Mandarin - Just finished my 2nd year in college, but I can't continue taking it and graduate on time.
Japanese - Just finished some history classes taught in Japanese at my college and after my year at Keio hope to take the 1kyuu JLPT.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Does anyone have any experience with The Rosetta Stone products? I am interested in Spanish, Chinese, and Greek.

Rosetta Stone is a waste of money imo. Especially to learn something without a Roman alphabet.

Originally Posted by UserName84
From the very little I have learned so far...

Yes hyeren chem hasgunare. Which means "I don't understand Armenian" (it's literally "I Armenian (the language) am not understanding." If you really are interested a great help for me in learning has been the Pimsleur books on CD, I got it off Amazon.

The Pimsleur CDs didn't teach me anything for Korean really. I did speak to an Armenian girl once and found that it had some odd similarities to Korean.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Know:
English
Tagalog

Want to learn:
Spanish

somecallmebj

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Half *****
English - native
Polish - knew it as a kid, forgot it since there's not much use for it outside Poland
Tagalog/Illongo - Anyone worth talking to also knows English
teacha.gif

Mandarin - Just finished my 2nd year in college, but I can't continue taking it and graduate on time.
Japanese - Just finished some history classes taught in Japanese at my college and after my year at Keio hope to take the 1kyuu JLPT.

I wish you luck on the 1kyuu. That will be quite an accomplishment if you pass it. I'm thinking about going to Keio for their JPL. How much difficulty did you have getting admitted? And how long have you been studying?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but you can find a lot of language conversation groups on meetup.com.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics