• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Landscapes that inspire you

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but the landscapes and cityscapes have really shaped the way I dress. This is verbatim from an chat I had with Conceptual 4rest:

and in the cities:

I like the sparse lights of LA at night
orange on black
and just the sound of cars
the look of cold neon against asphalt
strip clubs and gas stations on lonely stretches in El Monte
Sitting at a Winchell's donuts
(worst chain ever, only the fresh donuts are edible)
waiting for the new batch to come out of the oven
talking to the tattooed, shirtless, BMX rider we called "Devil"
everything closed
just the dim lights of the closed restaurants
and chain bookstores
and motels

I imagine that some of you guys must have similar experiences that have shaped the way you dress. If you are in college, probably a little less, but for example, I see a lot of LA in the way Baron dressed, and it was a lot different than my experience with LA.

Feel free to contribute if you wish to.

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I love the patina, elegant decay and hints of faded glory in places like Buenos Aires and Mexico City. Rugged coastlines make my heart beat faster especially when they are crowded into a vista with mountains and islands like they are around here (PNW).

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope pictures are allowed...

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a fantastic idea for a thread. I want to post some pictures, but don't quite have the time.

Landscapes that inspire me are either incredibly urbane (think dank, grungy crowd streets full of cafes, with little or no natural light: greys, blacks, browns and subdued colours) or incredibly vibrant natural scenery (bright, sunny days, skies stretching to infinity, colour abounding everywhere).

Something like this:

Last edited:

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up next to NYC and as a kid my family would come into the city all the time for Chinese food (my dad was obsessed with it). Some of my earliest memories are of Chinatown at night.

Not pretty, but I thought New York was so cool. I ended up going to college in New York and spent most of my time hanging out on the LES (it was just starting to be cool then).

By that point I loved the grittiness of New York, and I still do. I'll take that dirty chaos over a manicured lawn any day. I think that shows up in what I wear too. I love the beach and the woods and the mountains, but those landscapes weren't as much a part of my everyday life, so I didn't really absorb them in the same way.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I need to take some pictures, but I love Richmond. I live in a neighborhood called "The Fan" close to the center of the city -- it's a good neighborhood, and all of the houses were built between 1890 and 1910, and the streets were originally cobblestone. One of my favorite things is walking through the alleys in behind my house, it's very European -- overgrown, random cobblestone streets, not particularly planned out, hidden garages and art studios.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely, pictures are allowed. I think that landscapes in cities are often further filtered through film. For me, the movie that was California for me was "The Salton Sea".

Not a film I've seen, but it looks interesting, I'll order a copy.

Perhaps I live in the past (or want to live in the past) but Powell & Pressburger's 'A Canterbury Tale' still resonates with me and where I live.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always dreaming seeing myself wearing a wifebeater, cut-up jean shorts, leather sandals, and sunglasses sitting at the Spanish Steps eating gelato just waiting my old man to pick me up

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
Sun, Color, and Relaxation. I am inspired by the colors of a beautiful beach- the blues, whites, creams, and shades of greens. I wear no black and very little gray, anything else and I don't feel like me

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
lol8[1].gif
Awesome, but I prefer Balamb Garden
fight[1].gif

My city is, fortunately, a city by the sea, yet stuck in a barren wasteland. Still, there are amazing lanscapes here, mainly because of the plateaus all around. That and the ocean can provide for some wonderful sights. Then there´s the region where cities like Bariloche are, full of trees, lakes, rivers, mountains and home of some of the most breathtaking views in the country. There and in the province of Cordoba you´ll find beauty that few places can match. These places have the perfect layout for someone to just a grab a motorcycle and ride having mountains on one side and rivers/lakes on the other, going up and discovering never before seen beauty. I´d like nothing more than to do just that, take my bike, a few pieces of clothing and ride through all those places. I guess I´d like my wardrobe to reflect that of a nomad, a wanderer simply seeking to constantly be moved by what one sees and finding more to be inspired from.

Bariloche.

Córdoba. Not the best pic but the mountain chains there are out of this world.

And, of course, a motherfucking glacier.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads