• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands End Dress Shirts -- new "Slim Fit" vs older "Tailored Fit"?

mixProtocol

Reaction score
I just noticed that Land's End is now carrying a small line of "Slim Fit" dress shirts in addition to their older "Tailored Fit". Has anyone tried these? LE describes them as "compared to Tailored Fit, it is 1½″ smaller in the chest and 2″ smaller in the waist, with proportioned cuffs, collar"

I tend to buy their tailored fit, but end up having to choose between 16.5/33 (which is slightly baggy on the shoulders/chest but allows me to button the neck and wear a tie) and 16/33 (which fits my body almost perfectly but is slightly too small in the neck). I've seen others on the forum complain of the same thing, so I'm wondering if a slim 16.5/33 would now solve the problem.

xMaximex

Reaction score
Have you finally bought the shirt? I have been wondering how the fit was too.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
I haven't bought one -- my enthusiasm dwindled when I realized that there were only pinpoints (no OCBDs). I'll likely pick one up when/if they end up on clearance. The sizing table for a tailored fit pinpoint (see "Item Dimensions") shows a two-inch increase in chest and waist for every increase in neck size. Per LE's description of the slim fit, that seems to imply that 16.5 in slim would have the same waist as a 16 in tailored, but the 16.5 would have an added 1/2inch at the chest. So, if you find yourself straddling sizes in tailored, the slim might be the ticket. Let us know if you end up buying one.

iLLmAtiCiAn

Reaction score
any updates to this? Wanting to know how to fits compared to BB ESF

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered 3 of them yesterday in size 16.5/33.

Will report back.

Last edited:

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I await for my shipment's arrival impatiently, I contacted LE's CS and got the below measurements for size 16.5 x 33:

Chest 48, waist of 43 3/4.

Compare that to the BB SF and ESF 16.5 as per the chart below...

SF: chest 50.5, waist of of 46

ESF: chest 47.5, waist of 43

From this, I would say LE Slim is slightly bigger than BB ESF but much slimmer than BB SF.

Given that they are a fraction of the cost of BB dress shirts. I would say they are probably a good alternative. Obviously, I would reserve my final judgment until I get my hands on the fabric.

Last edited:

iLLmAtiCiAn

Reaction score
the waist seems much slimmer on the lands end, wonder if they just measured it at a different place

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As I await for my shipment's arrival impatiently, I contacted LE's CS and got the below measurements for size 16.5 x 33:

Chest 48, waist of 43 3/4.

Compare that to the BB SF and ESF 16.5 as per the chart below...

SF: chest 50.5, waist of of 46

ESF: chest 47.5, waist of 43

From this, I would say LE Slim is slightly bigger than BB ESF but much slimmer than BB SF.

Given that they are a fraction of the cost of BB dress shirts. I would say they are probably a good alternative. Obviously, I would reserve my final judgment until I get my hands on the fabric.

Finally received my LE SF today.

Quick observations

The fabric is not as soft as my non-iron BB even though both advertise them as Supima cotton. Granted, the BB has been laundered while the LE hasn't. Side not: At the LE site, one of the reviewers complains that the shirt is not really non-iron as advertised. I supposed I will find out soon enough.

The 'light blue' of the LE is as dark as the BB 'blue.'

As you can see in my post quoted above, the LE SF is closer to the BB ESF than the SF. The fit definitely is closer to BB ESF than SF with one glaring exception: the armhole measured 11" (same measurement as BB SF of the same size) and it stands out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the fit when I put it on. A measurement of 10.5" would have been more appropriate, in my opinion.

Last edited:

jt10000

Reaction score
Finally received my LE SF today.

Quick observations

The fabric is not as soft as my non-iron BB even though both advertise them as Supima cotton. Granted, the BB has been laundered while the LE hasn't. Side not: At the LE site, one of the reviewers complains that the shirt is not really non-iron as advertised. I supposed I will find out soon enough.

The 'light blue' of the LE is as dark as the BB 'blue.'

As you can see in my post quoted above, the LE SF is closer to the BB ESF than the SF. The fit definitely is closer to BB ESF than SF with one glaring exception: the armhole measured 11" (same measurement as BB SF of the same size) and it stands out like a sore thumb in comparison to the rest of the fit when I put it on. A measurement of 10.5" would have been more appropriate, in my opinion.

I was hoping to like these shirts because they can be quite a bit cheaper than Brooks Brothers. I got three on sale, at 30% off, but was also disappointed by the size of the armholes (and upper sleeves).

xMaximex

Reaction score
I also bought a couple of shirts during the actual sale in size 15/33. The fit is slim fit, comparable to Lands End Canvas in equivalent sizing, except for the sleeves which are a bit larger. Personnally, I like the fit & the price when they are on sale.

XFactor

Reaction score
I also bought a couple of shirts during the actual sale in size 15/33. The fit is slim fit, comparable to Lands End Canvas in equivalent sizing, except for the sleeves which are a bit larger. Personnally, I like the fit & the price when they are on sale.

What are the typical times in the year they have these on sale?

mixProtocol

Reaction score
Lands' End seems to have site-wide 30% off sales rather frequently...

iLLmAtiCiAn

Reaction score
that is unfortunate about the armhole sizing. would probably be a dealbreaker unless i tailor but then the prices are pretty close to BB ESF when BB has their semi annual sales

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update:

I wore them twice and laundered them. Here's what I found:

The shirt is not truly non-iron. While it does not wrinkle like a regular cotton shirt, it is by no means non-iron.

The collar 'bubbled' (see pic below) and lost its crispness (the tip curls as you can see in the pic) after coming out of the dryer:

Unless I dry clean them, I expect ~10 wear or washes before I need to retire them.

Lesson learned: Spend the money and get the BB ESF instead.

Last edited:

jt10000

Reaction score
Update:

I wore them twice and laundered them. Here's what I found:

The shirt is not truly non-iron. While it does not wrinkle like a regular cotton shirt, it is by no means non-iron.

The collar 'bubbled' (see pic below) and lost its crispness (the tip curls as you can see in the pic) after coming out of the dryer:

Unless I dry clean them, I expect ~10 wear or washes before I need to retire them.

Lesson learned: Spend the money and get the BB ESF instead.

I have Brooks Brothers non-iron (ESF) and Land's End non-iron (tailored fit, not the newer slim fit) and they perform the same in terms of not needing ironing for me - they look OK after a cold wash and moderate drying. It seems important to not over-dry and also to take the out of the dryer right away. In fact, I often take them out when they're a little damp and let them air-dry overnight. Turns out well. My dryer is a condensation-type, which may help as well - it's hard to over-dry with it.

They don't look super-crisp like this (though my mom thought I ironed my shirts in looking at me in them), so on important days I might touch out the collar with an iron.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads