Lands' End Canvas

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by moosy, Nov 12, 2009.

1. johnH123

johnH123 Senior member

how does the fit compare to jcrew urban slim?

Or the fit period?

I'm a 'larger gent' but don't like classic fit chinos, leg opening is too big. I was eying those chinos up but I'm unsure if I should go TTS or size up.

2. gnumonic

gnumonic Active Member

forgive the lack of pix, but the slim fit khakis are the best $ I've spent on khakis in my memory.

+1

I wish they came in more colors. Fit is exactly what I was looking for.

Also, the shaker-knit shawl collar cardigan is pretty nice. Extremely thick/chunky for cotton, although I wish they made it in wool or at least a wool/cotton blend - I've been looking for something like it ever since I saw Bullitt.

3. bombers

bombers Senior member

forgive the lack of pix, but the slim fit khakis are the best $ I've spent on khakis in my memory. $32 with discount coupon... hope they roll out some more colors. wondering if the slim fit jeans fit in the same way.
    What size did you get? Do you (or anyone who owns it) mind posting some measurements (waist, knee, hem)? Thanks.

4. gnumonic

gnumonic Active Member

What size did you get? Do you (or anyone who owns it) mind posting some measurements (waist, knee, hem)? Thanks.

I'm washing mine at the moment, but from the email they sent me (and I think it's fairly accurate and you should be able to infer how the measurements scale):

SIZE: 34 36
    GRMT WAIST: 35 1/2 inches 37 1/2 inches
    SEAT: 44 45 3/4
    FRNT RISE: 9 9 3/8
    BACK RISE: 15 15 1/2
    BTM OPENING: 16 16 1/2

So oversized in the waist by 1.5, small leg opening, etc.

5. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

OMG.... Selvedge... Chambray.... Shirt.

Two SF-approved words in the same product. Two words I never knew existed until coming here. I'm crying right now, man. Tears of joy. It's so beautiful, man. Double Rainbow!!!!!!!!

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/Chambr...1&origin=index

6. Paint House Gang

Paint House Gang Well-Known Member

Is there an active discount coupon?

PARENTS2 PIN# 7064 gets $10 off any purchase over $50 plus free shipping.

Oh and Lands End emailed me back to confirm that they get their chest measurements 1" below the armhole so I reckon that means the shawl cardigan in small will fit a 38" chest.

7. Paint House Gang

Paint House Gang Well-Known Member

Actually just measured some other cardigans and 37" for a small, even if measured from below the armhole, means it would be too tight for me. More like an XS/36. Is the LE Canvas knitwear generally that much more fitted than the rest of their stuff? Never thought I would have to size up at Land's End.

8. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

Or the fit period? I'm a 'larger gent' but don't like classic fit chinos, leg opening is too big. I was eying those chinos up but I'm unsure if I should go TTS or size up.
    For the poster asking about fit compared to JCrews Urban Slim, the LE Canvas pants fit more like JCrew's Classic Fit. Urban slim is much more tapered. The Heritage chinos are very comparable to the JCrew broken-in chinos classic fit in cut, material, and weight. disregard - thought OP asking about heritage, not slim fit, chinos

9. dave333

dave333 Senior member

10. Meis

Meis Senior member

Actually just measured some other cardigans and 37" for a small, even if measured from below the armhole, means it would be too tight for me. More like an XS/36. Is the LE Canvas knitwear generally that much more fitted than the rest of their stuff? Never thought I would have to size up at Land's End.

Most of their stuff is relatively slim fitting (moreso than J.crew) despite what someone said a few posts back. Also, a small = 36, an xs = 34... It's just that we amurrricans are fatasses

I'm a J. Crew XS, would it be safe to say that Lands End Canvas (which only goes to S) would be a lil roomier?

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/Laceup...6&origin=index

I like the look of these boots as well, anyone tried em?

A Canvas Small is somewhere between a J.Crew XS and SM

11. GQ1

GQ1 Senior member

I've tried size Small in both J Crew and LE Canvas and both are comparable. Plus, they have excellent customer service so you can return at any Sears store even if they don't carry LE Canvas clothing.

12. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/Laceup...6&origin=index I like the look of these boots as well, anyone tried em?
    Have not see LE Canvas shoes in person but the regular LE ones leave a lot to be desired. But I would not be surprised if those boots are decent as there's nothing the regular LE shoe lineup in that price range (excluding the AEs), and the Canvas line's quality is surprisingly good. For example, the LE desert boots have stiff uppers and black rubber soles. These I've seen at Sears and they were crap. The Canvas line db's are the same price, yet look to be comparable to Clarks. At least they have the right soles! At $150 for the boots though, have you considered just forking over an extra $30-50 and going with the actual Red Wing Gentleman Travelers which those boots are based on? They pop up in the B&S forum regularly and there's a steady supply from reputable sellers on ebay for a bit over $200.

13. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

edit : wrong thread wow..

14. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/Laceup...6&origin=index I like the look of these boots as well, anyone tried em?
    They look like a poor man's Alden Indy minus the contrast stitching. They look good in the photos (although LEC has to offer more photos of their shoes), but the quality is probably rubbish. The sole no doubt is glued on. I dropped by a Sears today to see if they had them in stock but no luck.

15. sazon

sazon Senior member

how does the fit compare to jcrew urban slim?

They're about as slim.

they seem to fit a little snugger in the top block.

the leg opening may be a tad smaller, just judging by eye.

The J Crew USF's are not worth 2x the price !