• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
New lambswool sweater from LEC

http://www.landsend.com/products/mens-camo-lambswool-crewneck-sweater/id_260053

I must admit, it looks really good. I even feel like this is a legitimate attempt from LEC to call its own trend instead of messing around with J.Crew's past catalogs. At $99, this sweater is actually more expensive than the majority of lambswool sweaters at J.Crew, so I sincerely hope that quality corresponds with price and that LEC isn't trying to pull a Gap. I'm excited. But I will have to see it in person to find out if I should be.

Sashu

Reaction score
Actually, J. Crew's had a camo sweatshirt for a while. The LEC pattern's a bit more vibrant, and the J. Crew version is about twice as expensive, but we've been seeing more camo than ever in mainstream shops like J. Crew and LEC and even JCPenney and Target's house brands.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
Wear it with this and you'll have a winner.
wink.gif

Dingusberry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the Land's End Moleskin trousers fit?

Last edited:

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LEC, it was nice knowin ya. Seems pretty obvious from their new selections, being folded into the main LE website, and lack of any real PR activity.... that LEC is an afterthought if not on its last leg. A real shame :(

shizlefonizle

Reaction score
Just ordered two pairs of their 608 chinos. Its nice that you can have them hemmed for no extra charge.

And has anyone noticed how Sears stores has very little stock of LE stuff at least for mens? I stopped by the other day to try some stuff on before ordering online and they didnt have any Canvas stuff and probably the lamest items from their catalog.

Reaction score
Sears and thus LE is in financial trouble, but from what I hear LE is still a robust money-maker for Sears....that being said, it does seem as though the offerings from LEC have become less frequent and fewer in number. The media contacts there have also been quiet, as mentioned above especially as it relates to social media connection points...

thisfits

Reaction score

that being said, it does seem as though the offerings from LEC have become less frequent and fewer in number.  The media contacts there have also been quiet, as mentioned above especially as it relates to social media connection points...

Dunno if anyone here is on their email list, but they sent out a goodbye message a couple days ago. The wording is a bit ambiguous, so it's hard to tell if they're talking about LEC shutting down, or just the separate LEC email list.

There was talk here and over on reddit's mfa that this is the end, and that LEC failed. Maybe this is just me being contrarian, but I think the opposite is happening -- LEC won, and is quietly taking over Lands' End in a bid to compete more directly with J. Crew.

LEC products are already included in LE homepage photos, as the goodbye email they sent says. And they're even bringing in models originally hired for LEC to show off LE clothes. The models generally seem to be skewing younger, and the overall look of LE.com is less dowdy than it used to be--to me, at least, it's very reminiscent of J. Crew.

I think LEC may stick around for a bit as a place to experiment a bit and try to lure in a younger demographic. But that culture of testing is moving into mainline Lands' End, too, as seen by a number of "Limited Edition" garments that are no doubt being used for product/market research.

LE isn't completely ditching their older core demographic, since there's a lot of Traditional Fit stuff left. But if you poke around in mainline Lands' End, you'll see here and there that the overall stylishness is turned up a bit. I think all these moves suggest that they're shifting to a slightly younger demographic, more in their late twenties through late thirties, rather than late forties through early sixties. I'm in my early thirties, really liked the early LEC stuff, and find lately that I find more interesting stuff in mainline Lands' End.

I think Lands' End is going through the same transition J. Crew did six or seven years ago. I doubt they'll become the multi-billion dollar cultural phenomenon that J. Crew now is. But by upping the style quotient and keeping prices low, they may lure away a few customers.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Interesting thoughts, thisfits.

I'd generally be fine if that's the case, as I like the way that the LEC clothes fit and their chino shorts and chino pants have been very good.

However, if LEC styling does become more widespread throughout mainline LE merchandise, I really, really hope that the mainline LE shirts don't adopt the LEC collars. I've ordered a few LEC shirts (with button-down collars) in the past and returned all three of them as the collars were too small and too flimsy and the collar points were too short. The traditional LE OCBD collar shirt, in a tailored fit, has a much, much, much better collar.

mixProtocol

Reaction score
I wonder whether the rollout of their new "slim-fit" dress shirts (thread on them, here) might have been influenced, at least in part, by the fit of some of the LEC items. Does anyone find it odd that LandsEnd hasn't really touted the slimmer fit (despite their "Made to Work" advertising campaign)? As to the collars on the Canvas shirts, I attributed that partly to their unstructured nature (which leans more toward the lived-in, casual, sport/camp shirt).

thisfits

Reaction score

I wonder whether the rollout of their new "slim-fit" dress shirts (thread on them, here) might have been influenced, at least in part, by the fit of some of the LEC items.  Does anyone find it odd that LandsEnd hasn't really touted the slimmer fit (despite their "Made to Work" advertising campaign)?  As to the collars on the Canvas shirts, I attributed that partly to their unstructured nature (which leans more toward the lived-in, casual, sport/camp shirt). 

Someone who says he's close to the company posted this on Reddit:

"As someone who works close with the company, the idea is to bring canvas a core together to add back more style to the core line that it has been lacking for a while. You will see slim fit in tailored and bottoms as well as dress and possibly sportshirts. Tailored fit in Blazers will remain but will try to introduce more "trend right" pattern work"

xxxamazexxx

Reaction score
Dunno if anyone here is on their email list, but they sent out a goodbye message a couple days ago. The wording is a bit ambiguous, so it's hard to tell if they're talking about LEC shutting down, or just the separate LEC email list.

There was talk here and over on reddit's mfa that this is the end, and that LEC failed. Maybe this is just me being contrarian, but I think the opposite is happening -- LEC won, and is quietly taking over Lands' End in a bid to compete more directly with J. Crew.

LEC products are already included in LE homepage photos, as the goodbye email they sent says. And they're even bringing in models originally hired for LEC to show off LE clothes. The models generally seem to be skewing younger, and the overall look of LE.com is less dowdy than it used to be--to me, at least, it's very reminiscent of J. Crew.

I think LEC may stick around for a bit as a place to experiment a bit and try to lure in a younger demographic. But that culture of testing is moving into mainline Lands' End, too, as seen by a number of "Limited Edition" garments that are no doubt being used for product/market research.

LE isn't completely ditching their older core demographic, since there's a lot of Traditional Fit stuff left. But if you poke around in mainline Lands' End, you'll see here and there that the overall stylishness is turned up a bit. I think all these moves suggest that they're shifting to a slightly younger demographic, more in their late twenties through late thirties, rather than late forties through early sixties. I'm in my early thirties, really liked the early LEC stuff, and find lately that I find more interesting stuff in mainline Lands' End.

I think Lands' End is going through the same transition J. Crew did six or seven years ago. I doubt they'll become the multi-billion dollar cultural phenomenon that J. Crew now is. But by upping the style quotient and keeping prices low, they may lure away a few customers.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR THIS THOUGHT!

I have recently also come across the news that Sears is ready to spin Lands' End off, and all the negative speculations surrounding it made me really worried. When I got the goodbye email from LEC, I got slightly emotional too. It has been only 6 months since I discovered LEC, but I have gone through quite an adventure with it.

I hope your post is accurate, and the spirit of LEC will simply be fused into mainline Lands' End. I believe in this company and its effort to revitalize itself. Come to think of it, being freed from Sears may be a good start for Lands' End in this transformation. I can visualize the upcoming Lands' End occupying the niche area between Brooks Brothers and J.Crew, and am all the more excited about it.

Last edited:

951socal2012

Reaction score
land's end has been on my "to try" list for awhile.
and i got tired of buying desgner only garments. for this season so i decided to work on my basics again.

i ordered the linen/cotton blend thick knit sweater i am hoping it is decent quality. can anyone confirm that it is?

and some basic shirts + some oxfords i know its alot to order to try the brand out but i figured if it is all garbage older genetleman wear i'd just return it due to their guarantee. It would be nice if the sears here decided to carry LE/LEC but apperantly they decided not to.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads