• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lands' End Canvas

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
It seems like the jacket doesn't fit on anyone, IRL. The problems are:

1. overly short sleeves

2. not fitted at the waist

3. jacket is too long overall.

The four front pocket design also makes the jacket seem boxier than it probably is as well. I'm not impressed by that collar, either. Add to that, it can't be machine washed or dry cleaned.

David Zaritsky

Reaction score
wore the jacket today in 35 dgree weather and it was toasty...I am happy with it. btw i have a strong hunch there will be a major sale or coupon coming on monday or tuesday....prices on some things are low but since they will want to start clearing out for spring line i sense some good sales....

Jplaz

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the heritage V-necks? I'm thinking of stocking up on a bunch if another good coupon comes along. Thanks.

mothball

Reaction score

Anyone have any experience with the heritage V-necks? I'm thinking of stocking up on a bunch if another good coupon comes along. Thanks.

They're soft and fit pretty slim, but they get holes at the base of the "V" after 3 or 4 washes.

Last edited:

Stylego

Reaction score
I assume the sleeves are much shorter in the small as well? The sleeves are already short on me in the medium, I imagine a small would be much worse... I just hate how wide the bottom of the jacket is!

Potatowned,

I have to disagree with those who said your sleeves were short or way too short.
Depending on how you like your jacket sleeves, I'd say the length that they are at are just a right or a smidge short.
I feel sleeves should stop at the end of your wrist,/beginning of your hand, but it's definitely an American thing wearing long sleeves.
Now if you wore a trench coat over a suit, I understand having longer sleeves than your jacket, but this is not the case.

The Sartorialist wrote a great post on it earlier this year: http://www.thesartorialist.com/phot...et-outerwear-sleeve-length-new-york-florence/

As for the boxiness, that definitely sucks, not sure what you can do about that. Sizing down would make the Sleeves too short though.

That post on The Sartorialist was formative, it's changed the way I think about my jacket fit (which is to say, I had little or no clue how to think about it prior).

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LEC is like really far down on brand hierarchy. I would still think about LEC for buying a cheap shirt or two for going out to clubs or parties if I know there is a chance for stuff to get spilled on my shirt. It's also a good place to buy clothes if you're just starting out your wardrobe and want to experiment a little. I have a Shaker Shawl Cardigan and Fair Isle sweater from a year ago. I wear the cardigan a lot and get a lot of compliments on it and the other time I wore the Fair Isle sweater I got non-stop compliments.

Final verdict - Only buy when there's at least a 30-40% code. Really solid clothing at its price if you bother taking your clothes to the tailor. Sizing is kind of a mess because they're inconsistent from shirt to shirt. I think it used to be easier to return stuff to Sears but I'm not so sure anymore.

I wouldn't mess with their pants because none of the cuts seem to be flattering enough. Size down one on any knitwear. If I was still in high school I would probably wear a lot more LEC and then start phasing it out my closet while keeping some stuff that I like to wear as beater stuff.

Jplaz

Reaction score
They're soft and fit pretty slim, but they get holes at the base of the "V" after 3 or 4 washes.
Ok, thanks. Should I look elsewhere, or just wait for a really good coupon at LEC?

Free Shipping + $50 minimum + 20% off select Canvas Sale merchandise

Promotion Code: TWINKLE
PIN: 4141

Not that great, especially after that 40%+free shipping one last week...

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
You can order now, reorder in a week when they have a better sale and then return on original receipt. Or if you don't particularly care to do that, then just wait. There will be a better sale shortly.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score

I have a Shaker Shawl Cardigan and Fair Isle sweater from a year ago. I wear the cardigan a lot and get a lot of compliments on it

Have the SS cardigan too. A great piece when I first bought it 1+ year ago, but it has stretched out so much that it looks like a size too big on me. Heading to goodwill soon.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

LEC is like really far down on brand hierarchy. I would still think about LEC for buying a cheap shirt or two for going out to clubs or parties if I know there is a chance for stuff to get spilled on my shirt. It's also a good place to buy clothes if you're just starting out your wardrobe and want to experiment a little. I have a Shaker Shawl Cardigan and Fair Isle sweater from a year ago. I wear the cardigan a lot and get a lot of compliments on it and the other time I wore the Fair Isle sweater I got non-stop compliments.
Final verdict - Only buy when there's at least a 30-40% code. Really solid clothing at its price if you bother taking your clothes to the tailor. Sizing is kind of a mess because they're inconsistent from shirt to shirt. I think it used to be easier to return stuff to Sears but I'm not so sure anymore.
I wouldn't mess with their pants because none of the cuts seem to be flattering enough. Size down one on any knitwear. If I was still in high school I would probably wear a lot more LEC and then start phasing it out my closet while keeping some stuff that I like to wear as beater stuff.

Agreed. I wouldn't spend $150 - 200 on white jeans because I know they'll get trashed, but I picked up a couple of 'em from LEC for like $12 each, and they're outstanding. They fit really well and I love wearing 'em. I also use LEC for things like Henleys, socks, and plaid shirts. And I order things in styles and colors I normally wouldn't choose; sometimes they even work out. I wait 'til things are heavily discounted, order 8 - 10 items, and 2 - 3 are keepers. The cost is low enough and the return policy is outstandingly generous.

It'll be interesting to see where this li'l experiment goes. At $130 me thinks they've priced it beyond their typical core consumer - I don't think "selvedge" resonates w/ 'em to spend double or treble what they normal do for a shirt. If it flops we may see these heavily discounted soon enough.

Last edited:

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
I haven't been able to get anything from LEC aside from shirts that are even remotely flattering or which fit properly.

You see more evidence of odd fit with the waxed jacket: people are trying to rationalize that the bizarre combination of an extremely LONG coat with extremely SHORT sleeves is somehow fashion forward. It is not. It just doesn't fit, a common problem with anything from LEC.

I also don't get why LEC opts for high rises with their jeans and chinos with slim fits. They can't seem to figure out this is a bad, sometimes laughable combination as well.

I have quite a few LEC shirts, but there is inexplicably wide variation in the sizing of these shirts even all in the same size, ranging from very long and loose fitting, to exceptionally tight. On top of that, some of the shirts fade in color rapidly after a single wash, while others pill after just one wash.

Having noted all of the above, I find there is still nothing to complain about: the prices are incomprehensibly low, and despite the variation, I've found many shirts that fit reasonably well.

As long as I stick to shirts, I'm generally ok with lec; just about everything else has had to be returned.

Oh, and their footwear is uncomfortable pretty much across the board.

Last edited:

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LEC is such a poorly run company. Right now you can pick up a white polo, a pair of navy canvas sneakers, a braided canvas belt, brown boat shoes, swim shorts, a pair of khaki chino shorts, khaki chinos, a denim jacket, a madras shirt, 2 silk ties, 2 pocket squares, and a khaki blazer for less than $250 total. All staple summer items in almost all sizes. They have a total retail value of more than $1000. Why not price things properly in the first place instead of having to have deep deep sales?

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score

LEC is such a poorly run company. Right now you can pick up a white polo, a pair of navy canvas sneakers, a braided canvas belt, brown boat shoes, swim shorts, a pair of khaki chino shorts, khaki chinos, a denim jacket, a madras shirt, 2 silk ties, 2 pocket squares, and a khaki blazer for less than $250 total. All staple summer items in almost all sizes. They have a total retail value of more than $1000. Why not price things properly in the first place instead of having to have deep deep sales?

lol lands end is still making a big profit even at deep discount

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt they are making massive amounts on LEC.
LL Bean Sig and J Crew make the same items, but don't have to give a 75% discount on everything they sell.

Stylego

Reaction score

Seems what I've learned about accounting the approach makes sense...it's all about incremental retuns.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads