• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Land's end blazer quality

shoreman80

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Land's End navy blazer at a thrift shop. I don't usually like the gold buttons, but this one fit well and was in great condition (and $8) so I indulged.

Anyway, I looked at it more carefully at home and I noted a few details. Does anyone know if they make, or made, better stuff than you generally see from them?

First, it claims, "Tailored with Pride in the USA," which surprised me. I think these run like $150 new, and that seems cheap for a us made garment (though I guess they could probably attach that tag stateside and have it qualify).
Second, the collar is folded and sewn onto the felt on the reverse (I'm sorry this is vague). It certainly isn't handwork, but it's still a detail I usually associate with finer stuff.

Land's End sells stuff through Sears now, and I kind of assumed  it was junk. OK, the blazer isn't going to be a favorite piece of mine, but I'm not embarrassed to wear it, as I was my old blue blazer, which came secondhand through my cousin from a men's "we'll choose your crap wardrobe for you" place. Was this a good find or just an alright value?

quill

Reaction score
I recently picked up a Land's End navy blazer at a thrift shop. I don't usually like the gold buttons, but this one fit well and was in great condition (and $8) so I indulged.

Anyway, I looked at it more carefully at home and I noted a few details. Does anyone know if they make, or made, better stuff than you generally see from them?

First, it claims, "Tailored with Pride in the USA," which surprised me. I think these run like $150 new, and that seems cheap for a us made garment (though I guess they could probably attach that tag stateside and have it qualify).
Second, the collar is folded and sewn onto the felt on the reverse (I'm sorry this is vague). It certainly isn't handwork, but it's still a detail I usually associate with finer stuff.

Land's End sells stuff through Sears now, and I kind of assumed  it was junk. OK, the blazer isn't going to be a favorite piece of mine, but I'm not embarrassed to wear it, as I was my old blue blazer, which came secondhand through my cousin from a men's "we'll choose your crap wardrobe for you" place. Was this a good find or just an alright value?
shoreman80,

I'd have to add my two bits to yours.

I have a Lands' End Blazer that I've had for a few years, basic model I think (gold buttons, though I think they also make some with dark buttons).

I've always enjoyed it; the blazer has kept its shape, and has some nice details, like a contrasting trim on the inside lining and a double pocket on the inside right, one shallow, one deep.

That felt you refer to is, I think, called melton. Mine has that, too.

Anyway, I'm not ashamed to say that for the price, the Lands' End stuff I've bought in the past has held up admirably. Haven't bought any through Sears yet, but I like what I've found through Lands' End.

Also have a Squall jacket that, for the weight, keeps an amazing warmth to it.

I'd keep an open mind; let us know what you find out.

JohnMS

Reaction score
I've had a number of Lands' End half-canvas suits from a few years back when their "better" suits were made in Canada. I thought the cut was nice, the fabric a nice 110s, and usually you can hold out and get their $500-$600 suits for about $125.

It's hit and miss on their pants, but Sierra Trading Post sells Lands' End pants that are either closeouts or 2nds.

I haven't had much luck with LE as of late since Sear's bought them out (may or may not have a relationship).

PeterMetro

Reaction score
As far as durability goes, Land's End (it might be LL Bean - I always get the two confused) will take back any garment that wears out, for whatever reason. Gotta like that kind of commitment.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy