• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Land Rover Defender vs 2005 Jeep Wrangler

Jarandas

Reaction score
I´ve been thinking about buying a car to smash rabbits and rare plants with.

I don´t want anything fancy, a simple car to have fun with, and not very expensive to maintain.

I´ve heard the best options are the Land Rover Defender and the old Jeep Wrangler (the last real Jeep, before it turned into an SUV).

Any opinions, suggestions, experiences with these cars? Do you have a better option?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jarandas
I don´t want anything fancy, a simple car to have fun with, and not very expensive to maintain.

Any opinions, suggestions, experiences with these cars? Do you have a better option?

Any vehicle with a transfer case and two differentials is going to get expensive to maintain at some point. Especially if you buy one that has been put to a lot of off-road use.

I used to have a Jeep (CJ7) that was a blast to drive. A word of warning though: four-wheel drive and lots of torque doesn't mean you'll not get yourself into trouble. In fact, the trouble you'll find will be way worse.

I had to cut down two trees to get myself out of one mess I created while off-roading.
blush.gif

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're dealing with two entirely different price points of vehicle.

Defenders in good condition approach $40K. They're also expensive as hell to repair and suck gas like a motha.

That being said, I want one badly.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has Land Rover ever considered bringing the D90 back to the States?

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VaderDave

I think the cost of modifying the Defender to comply with federal regulations (airbags) was too great in relation to units sold.

jfclarky

Reaction score
defender hands down one of the best off-road vehicles ever next to 1997 toyota land cruiser. That said used defenders are +$30k you should look at a land cruiser. Estas en Espana todavia?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pscolari
I think the cost of modifying the Defender to comply with federal regulations (airbags) was too great in relation to units sold.

Bummer. I'm surprised that the UK doesn't have similar requirements.

Jarandas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jfclarky
defender hands down one of the best off-road vehicles ever next to 1997 toyota land cruiser. That said used defenders are +$30k you should look at a land cruiser. Estas en Espana todavia?

I´m still in Spain (I moved back three years ago, actually).
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Aaron
You're dealing with two entirely different price points of vehicle.

Defenders in good condition approach $40K. They're also expensive as hell to repair and suck gas like a motha.

That being said, I want one badly.

I think Land Rover prices are different in Europe, so is the model choice.

There are only 2.5l Diesel engines available, and the price range is much lower (price starts at 28.000€ or 39.000$, with standard equipment). That´s for a brand new LR.

I would love to have a petrol engined model, but they stopped selling them in Spain around 2001.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
the defender is beautiful. you should get that and dump the TT if you don't drive much
wink.gif

Jarandas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
the defender is beautiful. you should get that and dump the TT if you don't drive much
wink.gif

smile.gif

I´m driving the TT more and more often, the LR would be my beach/mountain car, and could also use it as a city car, driving in Malaga is a dangerous task!

The short wheelbase Defender is about the same size of the old Wrangler, quite compact.

Rosenberg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jfclarky

Ah, the FZJ80. Truly one of the most trail-worthy vehicles ever produced. I drive a '92 FJ80. Not quite the beast, but I love it. The Rubicon Wranglers are worth checking out if you're actually going to use it

sonomadrifter

Reaction score
Talk to this guy, he daily's it and should know about maintenance.

Originally Posted by pat pearson
My collection

1994 Rover D90- Daily Driver

1965- Jaguar E-type- Weekend Driver

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own a TJ Jeep Wrangler Sahara and I absolutely love it. Don't underestimate the cool factor of the convertible top.

It is cheaper up front, and easy to maintain. There is virtually nothing you can't do on the Jeep yourself.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I own two wranglers. They are extremely dependable - I've put almost 200,000 miles on the two of them and the only problems I've had have been wiring (which, considering the considerable jarring I've subjected them to, is understandable) and a cracked manifold when I submerged one of them. As far as easy to fix - I've done a lot of work on cars, for money and for free, and while I've never had to fix anything on my jeeps, they look very easy to maintain.

I've also owned a LR Disco. It looked awesome and was fun to drive when it worked. It was also a much better professional/commuter car (although the mileage was terrible), and more comfortable. Still, I always feared taking it into the backcountry for fear of it breaking down. Most spare parts were too expensive to order "just in case"

Bottom line - Land Rovers look cooler and are more exclusive, but will cost you a hell of a lot. And while I've read that their quality has improved drastically, I'm still skeptical. For the same price you can modify the hell out of a jeep and have much more offroad functionality, at the expense of some snob points.

This being styleforum, I have no doubt what option you'll choose.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VaderDave

2013 model year Defender will be back; whether it's a 'real' Defender or not will be the question.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads