• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lagavulin Distiller's Selection - crap?

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a much of a whisky drinker (like most people here in Spain, when drinking blended whisky I always mix it with coke or ginger ale - then at least it's refreshing), but sometimes I enjoy a single malt. My favourite for the last ten years has been the Lagavulin 16 years old (actually, most of my friends also like it, so a bottle doesn't last very long). Now, recently I saw a bottle of Lagavulin Distiller's Selection (a black label), which I had hoped would be even nicer, but which actually had a horrible taste, IMO. Its just too much of this smoke (?) taste. I actually thought that it might be some **** whisky that they brought out just to try to make some further benefit out of the brand name (in the absence of sufficient amounts of the good 16 year stuff).
Anybody else has had this (or the opposite) experience?

minimal

Reaction score
Well, since Lagavulin is known as one of the 2 or 3 most peaty of the widely-available brands, I'd expect any specials from them to only amplify the tradition. Which Lagavulin are you used to? I think there are 3 others besides the special edition, a 12, a 16, and one more. The 12 is pretty accessible, the 16 (which I'm used to) is very peaty. I've never had either the Distiller's edition or any other from them, but I'd expect it to be really, really peaty. Like drinking a cigar.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am used to Lagavulin 16 years old, that is the only one commonly sold around here. Suddenly, it started to get much more expensive and even quite difficult to find. Many stores, including airport tax-free shops, just appeared not to have it any more.
The most remarkable thing about "Lagavulin 16 years old" is, IMO, that it is so smooth that even people who normally do not like malt whisky enjoy it.
Now, the Distiller's Selection is something completely different. Yes, I guess that you could say that it is extremely peaty.
I do not really know how to get rid of it, because I frankly cannot stand it. Now, I do not like the idea of throwing it away and I do not drink whisky with coke at home, that is something I only do in bars. At home, I only drink distilled stuff after dinner, and then I want some good grappa, aguardiente de orujo, brandy or whisky, not horrible stuff mixed with coke.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Perhaps Kent Wang could use it for his cologne.
You know, by volume, I bet 20 year single malts are still cheaper than most designer fragrances. Epa, you could mix it into the Rusty Nail, Rob Roy or Godfather. See CocktailDB.com.

Tyto

Reaction score
As soon as possible: I'll PM my address and PayPal you for shipping.
tounge.gif
I absolutely love it (I assume you're talking about the Lagavulin finished in the Pedro Ximenez sherry casks), and it's impossible to find in the states--I've been looking for around a year and a half.

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read nothing but good things about the Lagavulin 16. In fact, it is on the top 10, sometimes in the #1 spot of many Scotch lovers' lists. I wish I read more before I bought a bottle. It smells and tastes horrendous. I am told that in time all Scotch drinkers grow to like it, sort of how people start with white wines and graduate to red. I hope that's the case here. Till I become that person, I'll stick to my Mac 12 and let the Lagavulin sit in my shelf on standby.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
I am told that in time all Scotch drinkers grow to like it, sort of how people start with white wines and graduate to red.
Who told you that BS? There is nothing wrong with white wines. White wines have their place, just like red wines. It depends on the occasion. Of course, there are bad white wines, but there are also bad red ones...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Who told you that BS? There is nothing wrong with white wines. White wines have their place, just like red wines. It depends on the occasion. Of course, there are bad white wines, but there are also bad red ones...
I believe it is some sort of Americanism that red wines are superior to white.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not just American...
Here in Spain, a lot of people say that "the best white wine is a bad red wine". Sometimes you even hear that white wines are for queers and that men drink red wine.
However, normally I hear these things from people who I would just not bother to discuss wines (or even to drink wine) with...
It's like saying that meat is superior to fish... I mean, it depends on your taste, and on the meat, and on the fish, and on the occasion. Even on the weather...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads