• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lacoste - india

gregory

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got my lacoste shirts from eBay. Quite dissapointed. According to the tag, they are manufactured by "Sports and Leisure Apparel Ltd". I looked up this company online and they are the licensee of Lacoste in India.

The shirt is inferior in every way compared to the one I purchased from Saks which was labeled "Designed in France, Made in Peru". Differences:
- cheaper-feeling cotton
- collar not as well constructed (might will lose its shape after wash/dry)
- buttons not as nice (they used white buttons for a dark colored shirt as opposed to the Saks one which used beautiful dark grey pearl buttons)
- no side gussets
- roomier fit (does not suit me) eventhough both are tagged size 5

Learn from my mistakes.
I hope this helps those who are looking for Lacoste shirts.

kalra2411

Reaction score
Lacoste has always been rubbish in my opinion, why anyone would buy such rubbish, just beacuse it has a silly croc on it baffles me.

gregory

Reaction score
Lacoste has always been rubbish in my opinion, why anyone would buy such rubbish, just beacuse it has a silly croc on it baffles me.
I am quite fond of the Lacoste shirt I bought from Saks. I compared it to a new Polo Ralph Lauren shirt and Lacoste is significantly better. I also hope that you will respond to future postings with more maturity and sensitivity.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by what you have said Gregory. I bought shirts from Lacoste in India and they were great. I have had no problems with them at all and they appear to be every bit as good as the shirts available in the Lacoste boutiques in Toronto or New York. I bought these shirts a number of years ago however. I will say that Lacoste in India has varying levels of quality for their polo shirts. My aunt bought me a black Lacoste polo shirt and the cotton was cheap, the buttons were not mother of pearl, etc.. That said, the shirt was much cheaper to purchase than the normal Lacoste shirts that I had purchased for myself. I be making a trip to India soon and I will report my findings back to you.

gregory

Reaction score
I'm really surprised by what you have said Gregory. Â
Dear Ranjeev: I'm sorry. What I meant was that the Lacoste shirt from India I bought from eBay was not as good as the one I bought from Saks, but is nonetheless still better than many polo shirts in the market, I am sure. I look forward to hear from you when you return from India. Have a good trip. By the way: Is it a good idea to throw in polos to the washer and dryer on high to make them shrink a bit? Would this result in discolorization (if done once?)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gregory,

Have you tired Brooks Brothers polo's? Granted, they might not be the crème de la crème of polo's, but they last (color-wise) longer than Ralph Laurens Polo's. Also (Yes, I know, but go with me on this) have you tried GAP polo's? They do not fade, they are reasonably well built, and last for years. Granted, they do not have MOP buttons or beautiful fabrics, but for $27, I am hard pressed to find a better deal. I guess you could call them the Jantzen of Polo's (without the customization, of course).

Jon.

kalra2411

Reaction score
If you want to buy a shirt made in a place where they have no clue how to make clothes (e.g. USA, Peru, India, China, whatever) with little consideration for fitting etc. Moreover, the use of a simple piece of branding to charge more for, what is in my opinion, a silly looking thing, mostly in asinine colours as well, that is without a doubt your prerogative.

However, to call my post immature, simply because I do not like what you buy is definitely not your prerogative.

I think perchance you should realise that just because I am expressing the fact that I think what you have bought is not really (in my opinion) a quality product, it does not mean I am passing any personal affront.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Poor quality of Lacoste? maybe .. or it is just fake item. It is not very hard to obtain or manufacture labels ..

I say most of discounted luxery clothing on ebay (especially italian labels) are fakes ...

gregory

Reaction score
As I said, the Lacoste polos I obtained from eBay are poor quality compared to those I obtained from Saks 5th but not poor quality enough to make me suspect that they are fake. Moreover, I would assume someone who is interested to make fake Lacoste polos would rather fake the French/Peruvian versions rather than the Indian versions (and why would they add a tag which says that it is manufactured by an Indian company?). Of course, that leaves the possibility that the Lacoste polos I obtained from eBay were faked for the Indian market, but I really wouldn't go that far.

gregory

Reaction score
Have you tired Brooks Brothers polo's?
I haven't tried a Brooks Brothers polo yet but I am curious: How is the fit like? Also, how thick is the fabric? I tend to dislike their logo, and to make matters worse, they usually stitch them in high-contrast colors.

The Lacoste polos I bought from Saks fits me perfectly, and I am in love with the fabric (just sheer enough but not too sheer) and the pearl buttons and the quality of tailoring in general.

I bought a GAP polo about a year ago, but the fabric was too thick for my liking.

gregory

Reaction score
If you want to buy a shirt made in a place where they have no clue how to make clothes (e.g. USA, Peru, India, China, whatever) with little consideration for fitting etc. Moreover, the use of a simple piece of branding to charge more for, what is in my opinion, a silly looking thing, mostly in asinine colours as well, that is without a doubt your prerogative.
OK, so basically you're suggesting that I avoid clothes from USA, Peru, India and China? Where do you get your clothes? I doubt I have enough money to emulate your spending behavior.

I didn't buy the polos just for the crocodile. I bought them for the quality. That's why I am keeping the Lacoste polos that I bought from Saks (high quality) and re-selling those I bought from eBay (low quality). Moreover, just because a piece of clothing has a logo on it does not make it low quality. And if you consider Lacoste polos rubbish, then so are 95% of polos worn by humanity.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Gregory, I believe I heard that Lacoste came out with a new tailored version of the polo shirt with a bit of spandex in it. Could it be that this is the shirt you purchased from Sak's while the Ebay shirt was one of the normal, older polo shirts?

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Gregory, I forgot to add that I often shrink shirts that are a tad too large for me by putting them in the dryer. One of my Lacoste shirts, bright red, was placed in the dryer after being washed and it shrunk to the size I wanted and I had no probelms with the colour fading. Make sure you stay close to the dryer and try the shirt on after every 5-10 minutes to make sure you don't shrink the shirt too much. Btw, I didn't mean to imply that I was upset at you for saying that the shirt from India was inferior in anyway. I was just surprised that the quality was poor because I own a few shirts and I've had no problems with the quality. The shirts go for under $30 in boutiques in India.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you tired Brooks Brothers polo's?
I haven't tried a Brooks Brothers polo yet but I am curious: How is the fit like? Also, how thick is the fabric? I tend to dislike their logo, and to make matters worse, they usually stitch them in high-contrast colors. The Lacoste polos I bought from Saks fits me perfectly, and I am in love with the fabric (just sheer enough but not too sheer) and the pearl buttons and the quality of tailoring in general. I bought a GAP polo about a year ago, but the fabric was too thick for my liking.
Well, BB a size "˜S' fits is a bit loose (on me, of course I fit perfectly fine in a "˜S' Custom-fit RL Polo, so that should give you an idea of my size), but they have a new Slim-fit version, which seems to fit much better (in reality, the new slim-fit, fit exactly like the BB polo's from 5 years ago). As well they still have the lesser "˜original' line. Regarding thickness, I can't recall how thick they are compared to Lacoste, but the standard BB polo's are comparable to RL Polo's. They do have thinner weight polo's though (similar to Ralph Lauren Purple Label weight). Also they do have BB polo's with logo's that match the shirt color (they also the standard contrasting Golden Fleece logo). GAP might be to thick for your taste, but when considering construction and price, nothing can match them. I would suggest that you check them out next time you go to the mall. If they do not have your color choice, you can always order from the website, which has a sale going on now (ok, so they always have sales). Jon.

jrh

Reaction score
I have worn both of my new Lacoste polos made in Peru.  I can see or feel no difference from those I have made in France.  Washing well tell.

I telephoned a Lacoste Store and inquired about the shirts made in Peru.  I was told all Lacoste Polos in USA are now made in Peru in a Lacoste factory.  They are made the same as those previously made in France.  The salesman told me they are made in Peru to keep the cost down.  Perhaps owing to the exchange rate for the Euro.

As for Lacoste Polos... I wear almost no logos.  I wear Lacoste Polos because they are that good and the Logo is frankly the classic logo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads