• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lacoste fans

Brian SD

Reaction score
As I mentioned in a previous thread, I recently purchased my first Lacoste (ok, my parents used to purchase me Lacoste shirts all the time, but that was over a decade ago) at the Lacoste store in Palm Beach. I had to buy a size 16, since a "˜S' was not as slim as I would like; I am at the office at the moment, so I can't recall if the logo was embroidered on or merely placed on. Also I can't recall if it was made in Peru, but I think it was. And, now I'm questioning the quality of my Lacoste...(damn forum, Now I'm all preoccupied on a Friday about a polo shirt. Â
lookaround.gif
) Jon.
Jon, I wouldn't worry, I don't think you can buy the Indian shirts in America, especially not at a Lacoste store. If you paid $79 or whatever the retail is, you probably got the best kind. I have the same issue with sizing as you do... the XS is not even as fitted as I would like it to be, but at least the "Designed in France" shirts have a nice slim cut to them, as opposed to this window drape POS I have in my trash can. Funny, my parents bought me Lacoste a decade ago as well
smile.gif
Also, I believe the shirts made in Morocco are of the same quality as the shirts made in Peru. I believe if it says "Designed in France" on it, it is the nicer line. Perhaps the children's polos have a patch instead of embroidered logos, regardless of their origin.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(faustian bargain @ 23 July 2004, 6:17) Quote Large (Tag 4) 36/38" XL (Tag 5) 38/40" XXL (Tag 6) 40/42" XXXL (Tag 7) 42/44"
is triple-XL really the official description of a 42-44 chest? sounds like they're trying to appeal to vanity...like i really believe a size 4 is a 'large'. maybe a large leprachaun.
dozingoff.gif

Yes, is does sound odd, but in the UK below is what is genraly accepted: 34/44 X Small 36/46 Small 38/48 Medium 40/50 Large 42/52 X Large 44/54 XX Large 46/56 XXX Large Maybe that is different in the US?[/quote] No, thats just about right for the US as well - however I would note that a size 38 is sometimes considered small and a 36 is sometimes considered XS. With nicer clothes (European), the sizes are true to the chart you posted. The Tag 4 size for Lacoste is in fact about a 43" chest, which seems absurdly large for the second smallest size that Lacoste makes. The size 3 has a 41" chest, and this is the SMALLEST they come. Thankfully, they shrink
smile.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brian,

Actually the kid's shirts cost $50, but they have solid sides, no equal length side vents and no tennis tail.

I did try on a Lacoste "˜retro' polo "˜S' whilst in Palm Beach (apparently "˜retro' means "˜slim'), and even though it fit like a size 16, it had a 3-button placket instead of a 2-button placket that was way too low that looked like some bad 70's fashion mistake.

If you want to find almost perfectly fitting polo's may suggest RL's Custom-Fit Polo's?
Yes, I know they don't have MOP buttons and the cotton is not as nice, but I have yet to see any fading, buttons fall off or stitching unravel.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(kalra2411 @ 23 July 2004, 10:33)
Originally Posted by faustian bargain,23 July 2004, 6:17
Quote Large (Tag 4) 36/38" XL (Tag 5) 38/40" XXL (Tag 6) 40/42" XXXL (Tag 7) 42/44"
is triple-XL really the official description of a 42-44 chest? sounds like they're trying to appeal to vanity...like i really believe a size 4 is a 'large'. maybe a large leprachaun.
dozingoff.gif

Yes, is does sound odd, but in the UK below is what is genraly accepted: 34/44 X Small 36/46 Small 38/48 Medium 40/50 Large 42/52 X Large 44/54 XX Large 46/56 XXX Large Maybe that is different in the US?
No, thats just about right for the US as well - however I would note that a size 38 is sometimes considered small and a 36 is sometimes considered XS. With nicer clothes (European), the sizes are true to the chart you posted. The Tag 4 size for Lacoste is in fact about a 43" chest, which seems absurdly large for the second smallest size that Lacoste makes. The size 3 has a 41" chest, and this is the SMALLEST they come. Thankfully, they shrink
smile.gif
[/quote] How do you dry your Lacoste's? Air dry or using a drying machine? If the latter, at what setting do you dry them at? Thanks. Jon.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think you're not *supposed* to tumble dry them, according to the care instructions...dunno if that results in a different looking shirt or not though, as i have never dried mine outside of a dryer.

***edit: we dry almost all our non-hung clothes on the low heat setting...occasionally the no-heat, but that just takes forever.

Brian SD

Reaction score
When I first got it, I think I dried it on heavy in the machine to purposefully shrink it. My shirt is a year old, so I really can't remember. It may have just shrunk to its current size naturally over time. It is a nice fit now, not as fitted as I would like, but definitely acceptable. I washed the Indian shirt once, and was so incredibly pissed off that the fit was like a bell, the material was stiff and coarse and the color had already shown fading... I tossed it in the trash and started this thread. There goes $27... time to go through the garage and find something old to sell on eBay
wink.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BrianSD,

I am nearly 100% sure that you were ripped off, and that you were sold a fake. First of all, the Lacoste India website is proof of nothing. It is just the Indian portal for the French company. Secondly, it is highly unlikely that a globally recognized brand like Lacoste *does not* have stringent quality control measures which apply equally to all licensed factories. Lastly, there is nothing, and I mean nothing, more easily counterfeited than a polo shirt. And there are no number of pictures that can show you whether you've gotten the real deal or not. Labels and logos are the easiest things to fake. Yes, some of the worse counterfeiters cut obvious corners, but there are some reasonable good counterfeiters out there. If you really want, I can get relatives in Hong Kong to buy some top quality fakes that are nearly indistinguishable from the real thing, for less than $10US, easily, and we could do a little check. You are only going to be able to tell the difference after you wash the shirt and it shrinks so much that you look like Simon off American Idol. Find a few sellers you trust, stay away from Ebay for brands like Prada, Louis Vuitton and Lacoste (three of the most blatantly ripped off brands), and buy Lacoste on sale from Urban Outfitters or Macys (BTW, Le Tigre is the new "cool" polo brand - it's still prep wear, And I still hate it.) You'll pay $10-20 more, but save about $1000 in frustration.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads