• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Laced shoe/boot with rubber sole for jeans and suit

elduder

Reaction score
I'm looking for a laced shoe or boot of decent quality that can be worn with jeans and a suit (casual suit environment like a night on the town). I also need the sole to be rubber or mostly rubber because there are usually lots of spilled drinks in bars/clubs. I'd also like to spend around $150 or less. I understand that for this amount I'm not going to get welted soles, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on shoes that will get repeatedly stepped on and have drinks spilled on them. I've looked at Clarks and they're too rounded in the toe and would look like work boots in my opinion. Some ones I'm considering is the Cole Haan Cambridge Chukka dark brown $102, Steve Madden Kramerr burgundy $169, Herring Dumfries $162. Also I don't want to get used shoes.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also found this shoe. I think this is probably the best bet so far. I think this could definitely go with jeans and probably a suit as well since it doesn't look too clunky. Any thoughts on which color would be better? I think they're probably both versatile enough that it might not matter.

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produ...&catid=84&oldcolid=4736&stype=0&colourid=4735

Welcome to the forum, eluder. That's probably the best option you've posted so far. What suits (maker/style) will you be wearing?

Last edited:

elduder

Reaction score
Thanks for moving this over here. I'm technologically challenged that's why I couldn't find it. I have a black Calvin Klein suit, grey Montefino and a Navy Montefino. I know they're cheap suits, but it costs me so much money to get suits tailored I can't afford more expensive ones. The problems of lifting weights and being built like a running back. The shoes would mainly be worn with jeans, but it's always nice when they work with both.

elduder

Reaction score
I can't think of any shoes that would look good with jeans and a suit - opposite ends of the formality spectrum.

I would tend to agree with you, but a suit in a casual setting has more leeway. People even wear sneakers with suits in casual settings. I assume you find this offensive. I should have included dress casual (Sport coat and slacks) too.

powerkicker

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Franciscan monk straps in walnut work nicely in jeans and a casual suit environment for me.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would tend to agree with you, but a suit in a casual setting has more leeway. People even wear sneakers with suits in casual settings. I assume you find this offensive. I should have included dress casual (Sport coat and slacks) too.

I am not offended by those with aesthetic preferences which differ from my own. I would find sneakers with suits more laughable than offensive.

But I have no idea why one would choose to wear a suit in a casual setting. I tend to dress for the occasion. I don't wear a suit to a back yard barbeque and I don't wear jeans to a board meeting. My shoe choices for such events are quite dissimilar. And since I have more than one pair, I have no need for a single pair that would work equally well for each occasion. Assuming that such a pair exists. I have my doubts.

Last edited:

elduder

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds Franciscan monk straps in walnut work nicely in jeans and a casual suit environment for me.

Those are nice. A little out of my price range, but I may have to expand what I'm willing to pay to get a decent shoe.

Last edited:

elduder

Reaction score
I am not offended by those with aesthetic preferences which differ from my own. I would find sneakers with suits more laughable than offensive.

But I have no idea why one would choose to wear a suit in a casual setting. I tend to dress for the occasion. I don't wear a suit to a back yard barbeque and I don't wear jeans to a board meeting. My shoe choices for such events are quite dissimilar. And since I have more than one pair, I have no need for a single pair that would work equally well for each occasion. Assuming that such a pair exists. I have my doubts.
I dress for the occasion as well and wouldn't wear a suit to a bbq. Going out to clubs falls into a grey area. I'm not going to wear my oxford cap toes out to a club where they will get stepped on a dozen times and have drinks spilled on them. I would wear a inexpensive suit or sport coat and slacks or jeans out though. I'm not looking for a shoe to wear to a boardroom. For that situation I'll stick with black or brown cap toe oxfords. Not all suits are the same formality either. For example loafers could be worn with a white linen suit and this would be completely inappropriate for formal business attire Maybe a shoe doesn't exist, but it would be nice to just get one beater shoe that is kind of a jack of all trades.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads